Emby Connect no showing servers (should show 4)

gogginguy

17 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Hey @cayars, can you explain this? I seem to have the same issue although what's weird is I can see all servers with Emby Connect on my Android, but not on Xbox. This really wouldn't be a problem, except that there is no way to enter any numbers or letters on the Xbox. The keyboard will not show up so I can't type anything in.

Not quite sure I follow.  Do you have ports 8096 and 8920 setup in Emby for both local and remote at present?
Does the dashbaord show you the correct internal and remote address?

MBSki
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not quite sure I follow.  Do you have ports 8096 and 8920 setup in Emby for both local and remote at present?
Does the dashbaord show you the correct internal and remote address?

I'm using different port numbers, but yes, they're the same for local and remote. I believe my router is using the same ports too (but can't verify at the moment) as I can access remotely with manual login. 

And using Emby connect on Android I see all of my servers.

On Xbox, a bit of a different issue, and I started a different thread on it, but I'd be fine if my servers were showing when using Emby connect OR if manual login was possible. Unfortunately, there is no way to type anything in on Xbox.

So neither option works for me at the moment.

MBSki

One other thought. I changed my port number awhile ago so I could run my beta server on the same machine. Since then, I haven't been able to go back to the default port. I can't access my server remotely if I try using the default port. It seems Emby Connect is holding on to old info. Is there anyway to see what info about my servers is being stored with Emby connect and edit them?

If you change the ports of your server Emby Connect will know this.

What is confusing however is looking at the login screen on a device seeing your server.  It's hard to tell if it's using EC or a direct login.
What I'd suggest is trying the connection and if it fails, remove the server and add it back again. This way if you are directly logging in you can specify the IP (or name) and port used.

If you change the port on the server you need to change the ports on your router to match and then you should be fine again.
If you want a hand with this let me know and I can remote in and give you a hand with it.

MBSki
7 hours ago, cayars said:

If you change the ports of your server Emby Connect will know this.

Are you sure? Because it doesn't seem to be working that way.

What is confusing however is looking at the login screen on a device seeing your server.  It's hard to tell if it's using EC or a direct login.

Can you explain? If I login to Emby Connect it will login then display a list of servers right? Isn't the list of servers coming from Emby Connect?

What I'd suggest is trying the connection and if it fails, remove the server and add it back again. This way if you are directly logging in you can specify the IP (or name) and port used.

Yes, I did this in the web app because the connection failed. So after doing that will my list of servers via EmbyConnect be updated now?

If you change the port on the server you need to change the ports on your router to match and then you should be fine again.

Yes, understand, and I believe I have, but I'm just not able to confirm at the moment.

Nope, not sure to be honest. I haven't used all the major clients lately so I can't say for certain.

What I can say for sure and what my point was is that if you clear out/remove any/all servers showing up on the client you will have no choice but add one back.

At this point you can be certain how you set this up.  By that I mean setting specific Server IP or domain name and port
vs
Doing a setup using Emby Connect.

Follow what I'm saying?  So what I would suggest if the client is in the house is to either allow Emby client to find the server for you or manually add it using the IP and port settings.
Then try logging in with the user credentials you have setup on your server.

That should be exactly the same as opening a web browser by clicking on the In Home Address URL and logging in that way.  If you can do this and login you should be able to on the client as well!

MBSki

@cayars So I checked my settings on my router and they are configured correctly. Which leads me back to, "why aren't all my servers showing up via Emby Connect?" I know I can add servers manually, but the point of Emby Connect is to save your servers so you can login easier. Emby Connect is not saving my servers though. How do I fix this issue?

Happy2Play
On 11/21/2021 at 8:37 PM, mbarylski said:

And using Emby connect on Android I see all of my servers.

You are saying all other client except Xbox show this server? To me a @Lukewould have to comment on why a specific client is not showing all servers.  Only way I could see this happening would be user access restrictions.

On 11/21/2021 at 8:49 PM, mbarylski said:

It seems Emby Connect is holding on to old info.

Not sure of the interval but yes it does take time for Connect to update changes.  Looks like it may be an hourly update per my log.

MBSki
44 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You are saying all other client except Xbox show this server? To me a @Lukewould have to comment on why a specific client is not showing all servers.  Only way I could see this happening would be user access restrictions.

It seems my Android phone is the only client that is showing all my servers. 

45 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not sure of the interval but yes it does take time for Connect to update changes.  Looks like it may be an hourly update per my log.

It's been much longer than hourly. It's been days, maybe even weeks or months. 

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

It seems my Android phone is the only client that is showing all my servers. 

So going to app.emby.media does not show this server?

MBSki
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

So going to app.emby.media does not show this server?

Nope. Only on my Android phone. It almost seems like my other servers are cached somehow in my Android, and they aren't actually getting stored in Emby Connect.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Nope. Only on my Android phone. It almost seems like my other servers are cached somehow in my Android, and they aren't actually getting stored in Emby Connect.

Have you tried unlinked and relinked the username?

Happy2Play
Just now, mbarylski said:

How do I do that?

Server Settings-Users, select your user-remove your Connect username, save, readd Connect username

• Thanks 1

MBSki
8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Server Settings-Users, select your user-remove your Connect username, save, readd Connect username

Got it, I'll give it a shot.

MBSki
51 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That worked! Thanks @Happy2Play!

Glad you got that worked out.
Just curious, you are running multiple servers behind your home router?  Do you have them each setup with different ports opened on the router?

MBSki
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Glad you got that worked out.
Just curious, you are running multiple servers behind your home router?  Do you have them each setup with different ports opened on the router?

Yes, that's right.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mbarylski said:

the point of Emby Connect is to save your servers so you can login easier

As I think you've discovered now, that is not the point of Emby Connect.  Each app will save any server you successfully connect to - regardless of how you connect.

The Point of Emby Connect is to provide a way for someone to log into your server without having to know the server's address (which is most handy on things like TVs where it is difficult to type long text).  That's really it.

• Confused 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, ebr said:

As I think you've discovered now, that is not the point of Emby Connect.  Each app will save any server you successfully connect to - regardless of how you connect.

The Point of Emby Connect is to provide a way for someone to log into your server without having to know the server's address (which is most handy on things like TVs where it is difficult to type long text).  That's really it.

Aren't you saying the same thing that I just said? It seems, "saving servers for easier login" is the same as "logging in without having to know the server's address". You just said it differently. 

Just now, mbarylski said:

Aren't you saying the same thing that I just said? It seems, "saving servers for easier login" is the same as "logging in without having to know the server's address". You just said it differently. 

No, it really isn't the same.  Every app will save servers you log into regardless of how you connect.  This is not a part of Emby Connect at all.  The difference is on initial connection and whether you connect via typing in a host address or using a PIN and the Emby login.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

No, it really isn't the same.  Every app will save servers you log into regardless of how you connect.  This is not a part of Emby Connect at all.  The difference is on initial connection and whether you connect via typing in a host address or using a PIN and the Emby login.

Well, this doesn't happen very often, but you aren't making any sense to me. If I add my Emby Connect username to all my servers, why exactly would that not make it easier to login to all my servers? I honestly don't understand what your point is or why you're disagreeing that Emby Connect makes it easier to login. 

I know every app will save servers you log in to, but Emby Connect is a single place that saves the servers, not many different clients that saves the servers. 

20 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Well, this doesn't happen very often, but you aren't making any sense to me. If I add my Emby Connect username to all my servers, why exactly would that not make it easier to login to all my servers? I honestly don't understand what your point is or why you're disagreeing that Emby Connect makes it easier to login. 

Nowhere did I say Emby Connect doesn't make it easier to log in.  In fact, I said just the opposite.

32 minutes ago, ebr said:

The Point of Emby Connect is to provide a way for someone to log into your server without having to know the server's address (which is most handy on things like TVs where it is difficult to type long text)

My point is that your statement that the whole point of Emby connect was to save your servers was incorrect so I wanted to clarify that.  You have your issue solved now so we should be all good.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Nowhere did I say Emby Connect doesn't make it easier to log in.  In fact, I said just the opposite.

Yea, that's what I was saying too. Again, we're saying the same thing.

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

My point is that your statement that the whole point of Emby connect was to save your servers was incorrect so I wanted to clarify that.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to "clarify". It didn't clarify anything. Emby Connect DOES save your servers. How else would I be able to use it to login if it didn't save my servers?

I'm back to, "we're saying the same thing". I really don't think any clarification was needed.

I'm guessing that you just don't like my explanation of how Emby Connect simplifies login. So be it, but I don't see how my statement is incorrect.