Emby Connect no showing servers (should show 4)

gogginguy

gogginguy

I had to change an IP address for a server for outside access (and created the corresponding NAT entry in my router).  The access to these servers is fine locally.  I deleted the server and re-added it to my Emby Connect account and all my servers show on http://app.emby.media/#!/startup/selectserver.html  

However, when I log into my Emby Connect account on either my Android app OR my Emby app on Roku, the Android app (ver 3.0.76) simply takes me back to "Sign-in with Emby Connect", and lists no servers, while the Roku app (ver 4.0.31) spins and spins and spins and never stops.  I have 4 servers attached to my Emby Connect -- none of them show when going through Emby Connect.  (Only one shows when I don't do Emby Connect and login manually, it shows up).

Also, if I don't use my wifi and only my 5G, a browser will get me directly to my servers using the outside IP.

UPDATE: updated Android to 3.2.19   same behavior.

Edited by gogginguy

I have 4 servers attached to my Emby Connect -- none of them show when going through Emby Connect.

Hi, it sounds like you haven't actually successfully signed into Emby Connect, is that correct?

gogginguy

and if I use Roku and "Sign in with Emby Connect", I enter the pin it gives me and says "Pin confirmed.  Thank you." .. but merely returns me to the "Select Server" where I'm not signed in.

1 hour ago, gogginguy said:

and if I use Roku and "Sign in with Emby Connect", I enter the pin it gives me and says "Pin confirmed.  Thank you." .. but merely returns me to the "Select Server" where I'm not signed in.

And same thing with the Android app on your phone?

Right it doesn't sound like you've successfully signed in with the Android.

That doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, but it could be a sign that something is blocking it from reaching our servers.

8 hours ago, gogginguy said:

Yes, I have.  http://app.emby.media/#!/startup/connectlogin.html   If I put the wrong credentials in, it fails.  If I put mine in, it takes me to show my 4 servers (screenshot)

Untitled.png

That is showing you the servers you have Emby Connect credentials added to a local account.
Have you clicked on one of those server to actually connect to that server and login?

On 10/15/2021 at 11:45 AM, Luke said:

Right it doesn't sound like you've successfully signed in with the Android.

That doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong, but it could be a sign that something is blocking it from reaching our servers.

So this sounds plausible then?

gogginguy

I have a separate server (same network, same router), where Creative Cloud connects, but Emby Connect does not.  There must be something I can ping to check the connection to your servers.

If you just want to check for basic connectivity you can ping app.emby.media from the server.

gogginguy

Ping works.  So, if nothing is blocking me from reaching your servers, they why is it accepting my credentials, but not returning my servers?

gogginguy

additionally, when I am signing in with Roku, is this going to my computer, or is Roku trying to talk to your server directly?   (This is the info that needs to be in the documentation/support .. telling us exactly how things work so we can better help ourselves)

If I was designing this from scratch, I'd have a web login to your server (for those of us who are Premium) which would have all our server information stored there.  Then Roku and apps and etc would verify and validate to your server (and copy the server info locally for whenever a connection couldn't be made).  The way this works now makes me wonder exactly what I'm paying monthly for.  I can't sign in and you can't tell me why.  The behavior here is specific to a use case which you should have and answer for.

Edited by gogginguy

OK if ping works you know there is connectivity between the two.  Now you need to verify that nothing is blocked on other protocols.  Have you checked the firewall on your Emby Server machine as well as router?

gogginguy

Windows 10 firewall is completely down -- does that affect Roku?   (Took it down as soon as I started diagnosing).  Router has always had NAT entries for all servers and ports and I can disable Wifi on my android phone and add a server using non-local (i.e. WAN) IPs and ports just fine.   Emby Connect is my only problem at this point.  ALL of my devices (Roku, Windows 10, Android phone not wifi connected) accept my credentials but only returns me back to where I was -- not connected to Emby Connect.

Edited by gogginguy

15 minutes ago, gogginguy said:

Windows 10 firewall is completely down

I don't believe that is going to really completely open up your system but I also don't think that is necessarily the issue here.  I think it is more likely that something is going wrong with the device talking to our central servers to get your server information.  BTW - the system works much like you described - for users that you have linked through Emby Connect.

It sounds like something is either blocking the access to this information or altering the response.  Any VPN, proxy, etc. involved anywhere?

Would you be willing to add cayars as a Connect user temporarily to see if he can reach your server that way?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Would you be willing to add cayars as a Connect user temporarily to see if he can reach your server that way?

You can do this a test by creating any new user on your Emby Server and adding cayars as the Emby Connect username.
Send me a PM to let me know you added me and I'll see if I can connect.  That will help narrow down the problem.
You can then remove the test user after we test.

gogginguy

There were two issues.  The first was "solved" when I added a new user which seemed to get me able to sign in to my apps and Roku.  

The second issue was two servers reporting back the default port to the apps when they are routed (via router) to non-default ports.  A diagram would help.  (A diagram always helps).

Thanks for all your help and effort!  It is appreciated.

Edited by gogginguy

Yes, he's good.  Essentially Emby's network ports settings didn't match the open port(s) on the router.

• 1 month later...
MBSki
On 10/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, cayars said:

Yes, he's good.  Essentially Emby's network ports settings didn't match the open port(s) on the router.

Hey @cayars, can you explain this? I seem to have the same issue although what's weird is I can see all servers with Emby Connect on my Android, but not on Xbox. This really wouldn't be a problem, except that there is no way to enter any numbers or letters on the Xbox. The keyboard will not show up so I can't type anything in.