Indicator to show movies already added to a collection.

DrBoneSaw

37 minutes ago, DrBoneSaw said:

Yes I would like to see the ability to point the rule at say /mnt/Movie Series/ and have Iconic add a icon to each movie in Movie Series in Emby that is part of a collection. Thanks for taking the time to look at it again.

So, you're not just asking for an 'any collection' rule.

You're also asking for a folder rule/specifier.

Someone else has asked for the folder specifier and it's on my to do list, but that's another complicated one.

Both features are goals for the next release though:

Edited by roaku

DrBoneSaw

That was just an example. Either way would work. I mean I don't care if it is folder / partition specific like my example, all libraries of a particular type(say movies), etc... I just would like not to have to create a new rule series by series.

2 hours ago, DrBoneSaw said:

That was just an example. Either way would work. I mean I don't care if it is folder / partition specific like my example, all libraries of a particular type(say movies), etc... I just would like not to have to create a new rule series by series.

So, you would be happy if you could add a rule to your 'Movie Series' Library that would show an icon if a movie was in *any* collection? That's all you want?

Happy2Play
23 minutes ago, roaku said:

So, you would be happy if you could add a rule to your 'Movie Series' Library that would show an icon if a movie was in *any* collection? That's all you want?

That would make the most since as it really does not matter what collection a item belongs to and they can belong to multiple collections.

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

That would make the most since as it really does not matter what collection a item belongs to and they can belong to multiple collections.

At the beginning of the thread, they described wanting visual help identifying when a particular movie in their 'Movie Series' library is in the collection that represents that series of movies.

In that case, it does matter what collection an item belongs to.

Now, they're saying they just want to know if a movie is in a collection at all. This would give false positives for the use case described in the first post.

Maybe this is a different use case?

I have no idea.

Edited by roaku

GrimReaper
27 minutes ago, roaku said:

At the beginning of the thread, they described wanting visual help identifying when a particular movie in their 'Movie Series' library is in the collection that represents that series of movies.

Now, they're saying they just want to know if a movie is in a collection at all. This would give false positives for the use case described in the first post.

I have no idea.

As I understood it, OP has following structure:

\Movie Series

\Collection1

\Movie1

\Movie2

\Collection2

\Movie1

\Movie2

With "Movie Series" library having a path /mnt/Movie Series, and he's browsing it by folders. 

"Any collection" rule would badge all items in any of those folders, that are already assigned to a collection, regardless which subfolder he enters into, it does not matter, as he could identify unassigned ones to that particular collection, since he's in that collections folder. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Formatting ain't exact on mobile

13 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

\Movie Series

\Collection1

\Movie1

\Movie2

\Collection2

\Movie1

\Movie2

With "Movie Series" library having a path /mnt/Movie Series, and he's browsing it by folders. 

"Any collection" rule would badge all items in any of those folders, that are already assigned to a collection, regardless which subfolder he enters into, it does not matter, as he could identify unassigned ones to that particular collection, since he's in that collections folder. 

Well, that isn't possible.

The folder location is an absolute fact independent of where the user is in the UI.

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, roaku said:

Well, that isn't possible.

The folder location is an absolute fact independent of where the user is in the UI.

Well, I actually think it would, as once inside any collections/series folder he would see movie posters, both with CoverArt and Iconic?

3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Well, I actually think it would, as once inside any collections/series folder he would see movie posters, both with CoverArt and Iconic?

They would see the same icons on the posters no matter where they were in Emby.

GrimReaper
Just now, roaku said:

They would see the same icons on the posters no matter where they were in Emby.

Exactly, that's what he needs, a badge to identify movie belonging to any collection. So in folder view he can easily identify those that ain't.

Happy2Play
28 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

\Movie Series

\Collection1

\Movie1

\Movie2

\Collection2

\Movie1

\Movie2

Not familiar with this plugin but folder structure is not necessary a Collection in Emby.  But the odd are one is created from item metadata.  Example I have a-z folders so should everything in A be a collection item?

Just now, Happy2Play said:

Not familiar with this plugin but folder structure is not necessary a Collection in Emby.  But the odd are one is created from item metadata.  Example I have a-z folders so should everything in A be a collection item?

Right, everyone is being imprecise with terms and needs and wants and the longer the discussion goes on the less clear it is what's being asked for.

GrimReaper

Those are his collection subfolders, he structured it like that in his filesystem. And yes, by that structure, all items in A would belong to the same Collection. 

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, roaku said:

Right, everyone is being imprecise with terms and needs and wants and the longer the discussion goes on the less clear it is what's being asked for.

Think it like this:

\Movie Series

\Abbott & Costello Series

\Movie1

\Movie2

\Fantastic Four Series

\Movie1

\Movie2

He's building A&C Collection with 37 movies. He needs to identify unassigned ones. In Movies view they are all mixed up with all other movies, could be thousands. In Folder view he just needs to enter A&C Series folder. Assuming there's an any collection rule. Likewise for F4 Collection. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Just now, GrimReaper said:

Think it like this:

\Movie Series

\Abbott & Costello Series

\Movie1

\Movie2

\Fantastic Four Series

\Movie1

\Movie2

He's building A&C Collection with 37 movies. He needs to identify unassigned ones. In Movies view they are all mixed up with all other movies, could be thousands. In folder view he just needs to enter A&C Series folder. Assuming there's an any collection rule. Likewise for F4 Collection. 

I need to know what OP thinks about Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein being in a Halloween collection but not in the Abbott and Costello Collection.

Everything else is compounding noise.

DrBoneSaw
1 hour ago, roaku said:

I have no idea.

It's straight forward. I have /mnt/Movie Series/(series Folder)/(series movies), but others might and probably do have something completely different. I'm saying I simply want to be able to point Iconic at the parent folder of the library and have it scan all files in it rather they're loose in that folder or in subfolders. In my case the only folder I would be pointing Iconic at is Movie Series.

18 minutes ago, DrBoneSaw said:

It's straight forward. I have /mnt/Movie Series/(series Folder)/(series movies), but others might and probably do have something completely different. I'm saying I simply want to be able to point Iconic at the parent folder of the library and have it scan all files in it rather they're loose in that folder or in subfolders. In my case the only folder I would be pointing Iconic at is Movie Series.

Iconic applies the rules you create for your 'Movie Series' Library only to your 'Movie Series' library and to every movie in your 'Movie Series' library and doesn't care or know about your physical folder structure.

It already does what you're now saying you want it to do. I can't keep up.

The only thing I can pick out from what you described that Iconic doesn't already do is 'file scanning'. As EBR described earlier, that's not how image serving work in Emby. The entire system is built around processing individual images as they're requested in real time. My plugin has no control over how any of that works.

There's a brief moment in the life of a request for an image where the Emby image api asks my plugin if it wants to do anything to the single image it's about to send to the client/user. That's the only chance I get to do anything.

DrBoneSaw
10 hours ago, roaku said:

Iconic applies the rules you create for your 'Movie Series' Library only to your 'Movie Series' library and to every movie in your 'Movie Series' library and doesn't care or know about your physical folder structure.

It already does what you're now saying you want it to do. I can't keep up.

I think I see what happened. You gave me the impression that I had to create a rule for each subfolder in Movie Series and not the parent folder itself because each rule had to have the name of the series to work. You had me chose a specific series and apply the rule and then the next series. Now you're telling me I can simply select the parent folder Movie Series and have Iconic place the icon on all video media in it? I was under the impression the later was a feature that you're still trying to get up and running.                                                   

1 hour ago, DrBoneSaw said:

I think I see what happened. You gave me the impression that I had to create a rule for each subfolder in Movie Series and not the parent folder itself because each rule had to have the name of the series to work. You had me chose a specific series and apply the rule and then the next series. Now you're telling me I can simply select the parent folder Movie Series and have Iconic place the icon on all video media in it? I was under the impression the later was a feature that you're still trying to get up and running.                                                   

I think the most important thing we can do right now is come to an understanding that an Emby 'collection' is not a 'folder'. They are different and unrelated things. Then we can move from there.

Edited by roaku

DrBoneSaw

Let me break it down this way. My libraries each have their own partition so for practical purposes the partition is the master folder and that master folder is the library I created in Emby. Now where Move Series are concerned It's partition has each series in it's own folder. What I'd like to see is the ability to simply select the particular library, create the rule in Iconic and have Iconic do its magic in whatever way it does to tag every movie in the particular library that is in a collection / series instead of either recreating the rule or adding to the rule for each collection.

1 hour ago, DrBoneSaw said:

What I'd like to see is the ability to simply select the particular library, create the rule in Iconic and have Iconic do its magic in whatever way it does to tag every movie in the particular library that is in a collection / series instead of either recreating the rule or adding to the rule for each collection.

Iconic works at the level of your  *individual Libraries*.

All rules that you set up for one of your *Libraries* will get *tested* for every item in that *Library*. An item may or not pass that rule's requirements. If it does pass, the item's image will have an icon added to it. If the item does not pass that rule's requirements, it will not get the icon.

The Iconic 'Collection' rule requires a name for a collection to test if an item is in *that* collection.

There is currently no rule that allows you to test if an item is in *any* collection. This will be an option in the future.

In the future where an *any* collection rule is available, let's say you decide to use it for your Movie Series Library.

Let's also say that you've added Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein to a Halloween collection, but you have not added it to the Abbott and Costello Collection.

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein would now have an icon because it's in *a* collection. This would make it impossible for you to visually tell that Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein *is not* in the Abbott and Costello Collection.

Will you care that it's impossible for you to visually tell that Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein *is not* in the Abbott and Costello Collection using the *any* collection rule?

Edited by roaku