Improve Performance

Bert

usnscpo

Thank you sir!  I intend to purchase one or two NVMe's... whatever will give me best performance for a simple setup.  I only run an Emby server, and keep my home computers backed up to this nas, with no plans to use it for anything else.  Currently running 4x14tb drives in an SHR array.  Currently have about 11tb of data (lots of ripping still to do), but also have a spare 14tb drive that I think I'll use to backup the nas before proceeding.

Cheers!

What testing has showed me is that two NVME drives are needed doing it the stock way as it takes two drives to do read/write caching.

Not doing caching but instead formatting and using a single drive for all the core Emby Files is all that's needed.

I've got a couple more things in store to test for you guys but so far this is the way to go.

Dusan78

My DS920+ is now unbelievably fast.  At first there was not much improvement until I realised that all my artwork and .bif files were inside the media folders.  That seemed like a cleaner and more manageable option at the time as I could easily have access to artwork.  Once I replaced the artwork, the old files inside media folders were cleaned up.  However, video preview .bif files were a pain.  It would have taken a month to recreate them all on NAS.  So I took a look at the library.db file and made a program that copies the .bif files into the same folder where the corresponding artwork sits.  With exception of few files with special character, it all got copied and works.  It's amazing how much of an improvement this was.  I want to say it should really be mandatory running everything except the media from a decent NVME.  

Moving transcoding-temp to nvme was also a huge improvement and changing position is instant when watching a transcoded video.  I almost want to sign that lego song "Everything is Awesome"!... lol

Edited by Dusan78
  • Like 4

This is a very interesting thread...so if I'm following correctly, rather than using NVMEs as R/W cache, it's better to use as a drive to put some of Emby's core files/folders on? And hopefully the wonderful @cayarswill write up a guide on the best way to acheive this, if our NAS's are used primarily as an Emby server?

Thus far I've tested with 2 1 TB NVME sticks setup as read/write cache.
Above with an addition of Samsung SATA SSD attached via USB.
Then removing the 2 "cache" sticks from Synology control, formatting one manually as a new volume.

For simplicity this I'm sure is the go to. Only question is 1 or two NVMEs.  1 could hold meta-data, cache and the other for DVR recording and transcoding.  That could allow buying 1 nice nvme to hold good data and make loading and general navigation quick.  The 2nd could be a cheap stick maybe 256MB used as a beater for transcodes and maybe  DVR.

This weekend I'm trying:
Above with an addition of Samsung SATA SSD attached via eSATA. I've got 3 news ways to try this (adapters, cables, expander).

I may also see if the NVME slot can be used any other ways as I've got a few other toys like some of these I can try.

image.png.56e180b1aeb8f38fc38c781a35a5503e.pngsome variations image.png.520c41f59417c18593b5a5a6d99a3b3d.png

Except it would be more like this
image.png.66fdb38565f1302bf63c6e4369266cc3.png

• Thanks 2

GokuTradeDevil
On 1/22/2022 at 4:28 AM, Dusan78 said:

My DS920+ is now unbelievably fast.  At first there was not much improvement until I realised that all my artwork and .bif files were inside the media folders.  That seemed like a cleaner and more manageable option at the time as I could easily have access to artwork.  Once I replaced the artwork, the old files inside media folders were cleaned up.  However, video preview .bif files were a pain.  It would have taken a month to recreate them all on NAS.  So I took a look at the library.db file and made a program that copies the .bif files into the same folder where the corresponding artwork sits.  With exception of few files with special character, it all got copied and works.  It's amazing how much of an improvement this was.  I want to say it should really be mandatory running everything except the media from a decent NVME.  

Moving transcoding-temp to nvme was also a huge improvement and changing position is instant when watching a transcoded video.  I almost want to sign that lego song "Everything is Awesome"!... lol

Hi Dusan , you can install emby on nvme entirely right ? In my DS920+ transcoding is not working so well , did you tried a 4k 60 Mbps(or more) transcode to 1080 20 Mbps ? Like a mkv or hevc file with hdr cause i know that doesn't work because of cpu but i'm so curios if is any chance , i will upgrade to nvme,thanks for the info !!!

Hang tough another week Bert and I'll have a guide for how to do this and possibly more. I ordered some additional things to try and manipulate the NAS as much as possible while still being pretty easy to do. I've got everything but 2 pieces which were delayed.  They were scheduled for delivery yesterday but we had a snow storm.  Got rescheduled for delivery today and USPS pulled up out front.  I walk out the front door walking toward the vehicle, get waved at and it drives off.

I then walk in the house and get an Alexa notification (and email) message in a few minutes "Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location" which is quite annoying as the driver even waved at me as I was walking down the front steps. Tried to reschedule delivery but turns out that's not possible for Sundays.

So hopefully tomorrow evening I'll be able to test these other items and see if needed drivers can be loaded.  Then I'll be able to write up how to accomplish a few of these things the easiest way.

Carlo

• Like 4

image.png.eb759adf2b67265e546c2a2c4590ab19.png

In total there was 4 packages like the above. Sucks most because my daughter feels bad as one of them was a birthday gift tied to one of the NFL games today. Should have been delivered on Friday but instead looks like the 40 miles via USPS will take 5 days. When she called this morning to wish me HB and found out it was actually being delivered today before 2pm she was happy as it was perfect timing (or so it seemed), but now she feels bad, but still won't tell me what it is. No doubt it's some type of gag gift that was tied to us watching the the two games together as a family over video chat.

usnscpo

Yea, I've had this happen too.  Expected delivery by USPS, walk out to greet them only to have them look right at me and drive off.  Rural USPS drivers can be jerks sometimes... she doesn't like to get out of her warm jeep in the winter.

I was expecting 3 packages via USPS yesterday and saw the truck pull up and met the driver half way as I wanted to make sure it was 3 packages I was expecting! Inside, I noticed one was for my dad. :( Err.... 2 of 3 packages, and still didn't get everything I was waiting on. I'm not usually the complaining type but had enough so a phone call to the local post speaking to the post master got me another delivery later in the day with the final piece I've been waiting on. :)

What I'd really love to know is with their computerized tracking they use in the truck, does it not tell them all packages haven't been delivered for the address? Or does it and the driver just ignores it?

• 2 weeks later...
Dusan78
On 28/01/2022 at 16:08, GokuTradeDevil said:

Hi Dusan , you can install emby on nvme entirely right ? In my DS920+ transcoding is not working so well , did you tried a 4k 60 Mbps(or more) transcode to 1080 20 Mbps ? Like a mkv or hevc file with hdr cause i know that doesn't work because of cpu but i'm so curios if is any chance , i will upgrade to nvme,thanks for the info !!!

Apologies for late reply, I totally missed your message.

I myself don't use 4k files for streaming.  I only use 1080p HEVC x265 so only transcoding I get now is from x265 to x264.  But, I will test it out for you as I do have some 4k files.  So you want me to test out 4K HDR (or SDR) transcode to 1080P HDR or 1080P SDR?  I think there was setting somewhere about converting HDR but, I can't remember.  Just let me know what you would like to test and I'll do it in the next couple days.

Cheers!

• Like 1

silver_2000

we have 918+ and one 256 M2 installed - hoping this is updated so we know if it makes sense to add a second to improve performance 

I think it's better to do this in separate sections as one part is about increasing Emby performance using NVMe as HDDs vs system cache and the other things I'm working on are more about expanding or extending what the NAS as a whole can do for Emby. Although one of those can greatly increase system performance.  So another way of looking at it will be specific instructions for different things that can be done. :)

So we'll knock out the first section specific to increasing Emby performance using NVMe as HDDs vs NAS system cache.  I'll get this up this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, cayars said:

I think it's better to do this in separate sections as one part is about increasing Emby performance using NVMe as HDDs vs system cache and the other things I'm working on are more about expanding or extending what the NAS as a whole can do for Emby. Although one of those can greatly increase system performance.  So another way of looking at it will be specific instructions for different things that can be done. :)

So we'll knock out the first section specific to increasing Emby performance using NVMe as HDDs vs NAS system cache.  I'll get this up this weekend.

Thank you :) Looking forward to seeing it

GokuTradeDevil
On 2/14/2022 at 11:46 PM, Dusan78 said:

Apologies for late reply, I totally missed your message.

I myself don't use 4k files for streaming.  I only use 1080p HEVC x265 so only transcoding I get now is from x265 to x264.  But, I will test it out for you as I do have some 4k files.  So you want me to test out 4K HDR (or SDR) transcode to 1080P HDR or 1080P SDR?  I think there was setting somewhere about converting HDR but, I can't remember.  Just let me know what you would like to test and I'll do it in the next couple days.

Cheers!

Hi, i installed nvme as hard disk on ds920+ , i installed  emby on it and is a lot of difference of navigation but transcode is the same so no need for tests thank you ! I have an eye on this post to see what cayars will do with the nas , maybe something about transcoding 4k hdr to 1080 , but it looks that the hardware is not capable ! 

For me everything works perfect now and the last updates for lg app right on time , now i will just enjoy ,cheers !

usnscpo

I just installed a 500gig Nvme.  All ready to configure for Emby.  I'd follow the previously posted guide by Frostbyte, but that was written under DSM6, and I'm on 7, so a bit concerned it won't be accurate... and I'm eager to see what Cayars comes up with.

• Agree 1

Tremas

I'm also eagerly awaiting an updated guide (also on DSM 7). I recently purchased 2x 512 GB M.2 NVMEs for my Synology 1520+, but haven't installed them yet. I was initially going to use them as Synology cache, but have been holding off to see the results of cayars's experiments. My current thinking is to configure them both as drives and use one for emby metadata/cache and the other for transcoding. Open to other suggestions. But since this Synology box is the first linux based machine I've ever owned, a good walk-through on how to set up the sticks as drives would be super helpful.

• Like 1

I know a few of you guys are waiting on this and probably wondering what's the delay. :)
I couldn't really say why, until it was formally announced but here you go.

Synology has just started rollout to beta of DSM 7.1
https://www.synoforum.com/threads/version-7-1-42555.8026/

There are at least 3 changes specific to this of interest/concern that need testing.

1. SSD Cache Groups can be allocated to multiple volumes, allowing for more flexible management of SSD cache capacity.
  2. Storage Manager now supports the management of the drives and storage of both active server and passive server in a Synology High Availability cluster.
  3. If there is a file system error, DSM will unmount the volume to run file system checks without interrupting the services on other volumes.

Besides just DSM there are changes to many of the apps with new/change features including backup & replication features.

I'm holding off posting instructions so I can test for breaking changes with 7.1 first due to mainly the changes to SSD Cache Groups and Storage Manager.
I'm going to test doing the upgrade with an NVMe already setup as a disk/volume vs cache to see if it survives the upgrade to 7.1 or find out what happens to it.
Then I also want to remove it and set it backup under 7.1 to see if there are any issues on this front as well.

Assuming all seems good, I'll test the interactions of a few new features to make sure we have no conflicts or potential issues.
If one or two of you wants to volunteer to run through the instructions while I watch via TeamViewer that would be a good addition if we can fit that in.

Hopefully in a few days we'll have this wrapped up.

• Like 3

usnscpo

Good call @cayars 👍  and thanks for the update!  I'd volunteer to help, but I'm afraid I'd be too much of a noob to assure you of success.  I can follow a guide really well tho. 😉

Edited by usnscpo

That might be good actually.  What's important isn't doing a copy paste of commands because that won't work or should I say won't produce results you'll appreciate. LOL

This isn't a "novice" type project by any means but isn't hard at all.  It's really just a matter of being able to identify the drive names/ids in use and available on your system vs the examples and making sure the commands you use are purposely constructed for your system.

Kind of like us all adding a new drive to Windows then going to Drive Manager, picking the correct device to partition and format and then assigning a drive letter.  The more drive bays your NAS has the more info to process, etc

• Like 1