Resolution

robson alcantara

robson alcantara

Why does it show 480p if this series does not exist with this resolution? This happens with a lot of media. 

IMG_20210921_160907_621.jpg

Edited by robson alcantara

Happy2Play

What resolution is 960X540 to be considered?  Or are you saying we need to add 540p?  As this is not 480 or 720 media but would be considered the lower value.

Emby only has 4 values that I know of that resolutions fall into.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Ideally I think these thresholds should be spelled out in a KB or guide, for how often it comes up for Server or CoverArt.

As there appears to be 5 values.

SD

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper

AFAIK Most of Emby's logic for determining item resolution is based on width and not height, as it will usually be consistent as opposed to height, which varies to a greater or lesser degree. With that, I reckon anything below 1280w is considered NOT 720p, hence first lower value is 480p. And I think there is no need to expand those "categories" any more, it really doesn't matter is it 540p or 480p - it ain't HD, and further granulation is of limited value in today's media world. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 2

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

AFAIK Most of Emby's logic for determining item resolution is based on width and not height, as it will usually be consistent as opposed to height, which varies to a greater or lesser degree. With that, I reckon anything below 1280w is considered NOT 720p, hence first lower value is 480p. And I think there is no need to expand those "categories" any more, it really doesn't matter is it 540p or 480p - it ain't HD, and further granulation is of limited value in today's media world. 

True but you have your odd resolutions like 1200x720 that is 720p and 1440x1080 is 1080p.

We just need to document the thresholds per value.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

True but you have your odd resolutions like 1200x720 that is 720p and 1440x1080 is 1080p.

We just need to document the thresholds per value.

Yep, hence I said "usually consistent", as there will always be some edge cases, but for the most part current logic covers it pretty well, and for occasional odd one - well, I reckon it can be lived with even if it's off. Nitpicking whether it is 480p or 540p (60p) difference while at the same time counting thousands p on 4K seems excessive and unnecessary, especially if it involves intruducing additional variables in an already complex logic, with little or no gain for it to be justified. 

And yes, I agree that at least some base thresholds should be made part of KB. 

rbjtech

Terms used by 'TV's' were SD (anything less than 720p), HD (720p), Full-HD (1080p) and of course more recently UHD (4K)

I'm not sure why we need resolution in this box tbh - for normal users the above description is imo more than sufficient.  If you want the actual resolution (and are an admin) look in the media Info section.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
seanfletcher255
On 9/21/2021 at 7:24 PM, Happy2Play said:

Ideally I think these thresholds should be spelled out in a KB or guide, for how often it comes up for Server or CoverArt.

As there appears to be 5 values.

SD

also 8K is in there i was doing some tests and found that it shows 8K for anything above 4K including what could be called 5K, 6K etc. not that it really matters yet just an observation

jaycedk

Waoo really 5K, 6K.

I have never heard of that.

I thought the industry vent directly to 8K after 4K.

That will teach me to follow up 🤣

seanfletcher255
7 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Waoo really 5K, 6K.

I have never heard of that.

I thought the industry vent directly to 8K after 4K.

That will teach me to follow up 🤣

they are weird off sizes not from traditional studios but if you make content some cameras (blackmagic)  will do weird sizes i.e. YouTube creators, hobbyists etc. there are 12K cameras

i have seen 5K 6K cameras from china on amazon and ebay but rarely pushed to production at those resolutions  in my experience

Edited by seanfletcher255