Home videos can't generate thumbnails

kandiman

kandiman

I currently have this issue https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98799-how-to-generate-thumbnails-for-home-videos/

I only have Screen Grabber ticked in the library settings, I've deleted and added the library multiple times, refresh metadata does not help. There's alot of thumbnails for the videos that are not generated. I would attach the server log, I have no idea how to access the log on DSM 7

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, kandiman said:

I would attach the server log, I have no idea how to access the log on DSM 7

If you can't get to the path shown for Logs on the the dashboard (on 4.6, as this changes in 4.7 to the three dot menu next to the power button), you can go to dashboard-logs and download the server log.

Happy2Play

@Lukeor maybe @softworkzwill have to comment on this as the process is failing.

2021-09-21 09:40:02.065 Info App: ProcessRun 'extract-imageseries' Execute: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -analyzeduration 200M -probesize 1G -threads 1 -i concat:"/volume1/Media/Fabulous 50s/14 DAY SUMMER BODY CHALLENGE/DAY 02/01-5 Minute Fat Burning Walk | 700 Steps!.mp4" -an -sn -threads 0 -vf "fps=fps=1/10,,scale=min(iw\,320):trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -f image2 "/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/cache/temp/c3eb2b32cb1142f3a930e87734c7635f/img_%05d.jpg"
2021-09-21 09:40:02.084 Info App: ProcessRun 'extract-imageseries' Process exited with code 1
2021-09-21 09:40:02.568 Error ChapterImagesTask: Error creating thumbnails for /volume1/Media/Fabulous 50s/14 DAY SUMMER BODY CHALLENGE/DAY 02/01-5 Minute Fat Burning Walk | 700 Steps!.mp4
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.4.0
	Command line: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/var -ffdetect /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/bin/ffprobe -nolocalportconfig -ignore_vaapi_enabled_flag -pidfile /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/EmbyServer.pid -updatepackage emby-server-synology7_{version}_x86_64.spk -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Linux version 4.4.180+ (root@build15) (gcc version 7.5.0 (GCC) ) #42214 SMP Sat Aug 28 02:41:15 CST 2021
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 4
	Data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/var
	Application path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/system
	System.Exception: System.Exception: No thumbnails created for /volume1/Media/Fabulous 50s/14 DAY SUMMER BODY CHALLENGE/DAY 02/01-5 Minute Fat Burning Walk | 700 Steps!.mp4 320
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.ThumbnailGenerator.CreateThumbnailSet(Video item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, Int32 width, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.ThumbnailGenerator.CreateThumbnailSets(Video item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.ThumbnailGenerator.RefreshThumbnailImages(Video item, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, IDirectoryService directoryService, List`1 chapters, Boolean extractImages, Boolean saveChapters, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Providers
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

• Like 1

kandiman

Not sure if this will help but on DSM 6 the thumbnails generated perfectly no issues at all. No data migration was done, I started from scratch with a fresh install of DSM 7 and Emby server.

Happy2Play

@Lukethis looks like another/same issue with the pipe | in filename, as the other topic.  I know I can not test as that is a illegal character in Windows.  And the uploaded file changed that character.

14 DAY SUMMER BODY CHALLENGE/DAY 02/01-5 Minute Fat Burning Walk | 700 Steps!.mp4

from linked topic

3 hours ago, Luke said:

It's a known issue due to having a pipe | in the file name. It's on my list for review, but an easy workaround in the meantime would be to remove that.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/101896-emby-can-not-scan-media-information/

kandiman

Thanks I'll remove the file/folder from the server, rename the file, re-add the file/folder and see if it generates the thumbnail.

Amazing how all the thumbnails generated fine on DSM 6 and now on DSM 7 there's an issue.

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, kandiman said:

Thanks I'll remove the file/folder from the server, rename the file, re-add the file/folder and see if it generates the thumbnail.

Amazing how all the thumbnails generated fine on DSM 6 and now on DSM 7 there's an issue.

You can test but I would still wait to see what the devs says as there would appear to be known issue with pipe in filename, not sure if it is a specific ffmpeg/ffrobe issue though.

kandiman

Ok I worked out thanks to Happy2Play advice.

The video files were on external hard drive I copied the files back to the synology through Windows 10, the copy changed the | character in the file names/folders to the middle dot character • so I renamed all the files/folders with the • now thumbnails are generating absolutely fine.