emby can not scan media information

wloot

I have a movie under folder named シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版:|| (2021). Emby can not get the movie's metadata so i am unable to choose subtitles. and if i rename the folder to some else, it is getting work.

Edited by wloot

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Why don't you use "Identify" on that item, no need to rename anything? 

Well i meant the video file metadata.

GrimReaper

Wild guess, but not knowing your folder structure, you might be hitting path lenght character limit there. 

Happy2Play

One file show media info and the other does not..  And one has set info while the other does not.

So we would need to see a server log to possible see why ffprobe info is not being written.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, wloot said:

I did not change file name but the folder's.

Path length, MAX_PATH, not filename length (260 characthers under Windows) - which you effectively shortened by folder rename (same effect as if you left folder name as is and shortened file name). 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

42 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

One file show media info and the other does not..  And one has set info while the other does not.

So we would need to see a server log to possible see why ffprobe info is not being written.

Here is error logs:

2021-09-22 16:56:28.815 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Execute: /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -probesize 1G -analyzeduration 200M -i concat:"/gd/电影/シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版:|| (2021)/Evangelion.3.0+1.01.Thrice.Upon.a.Time.2021.1080p.Dual.Audio.AMZN.WEBRip.AAC5.1.10bits.x265-Rapta.mkv" -threads 0 -v info -print_format json -show_streams -show_chapters -show_format -show_data
2021-09-22 16:56:28.848 Info MediaProbeManager: ProcessRun 'ffprobe' Process exited with code 1
2021-09-22 16:56:28.853 Error App: Error in ffprobe
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.4.0
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
	Operating system: Linux version 5.4.0-84-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-050) (gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04)) #94-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 26 20:27:37 UTC 2021
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 6
	Data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.Exception: System.Exception: ffprobe failed for concat:"/gd/电影/シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版:|| (2021)/Evangelion.3.0+1.01.Thrice.Upon.a.Time.2021.1080p.Dual.Audio.AMZN.WEBRip.AAC5.1.10bits.x265-Rapta.mkv" - streams and format are both null: 
	{

}

ffprobe version 4.3.0-emby_2021_02_27 Copyright (c) 2007-2021 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC
	  built with gcc 8.3.0 (crosstool-NG 1.24.0)
	concat:/gd/电影/シン・エヴァンゲリオン劇場版:|| (2021)/Evangelion.3.0+1.01.Thrice.Upon.a.Time.2021.1080p.Dual.Audio.AMZN.WEBRip.AAC5.1.10bits.x265-Rapta.mkv: No such file or directory

at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Probing.MediaProbeManager.GetMediaInfoInternal(String inputPath, String primaryPath, MediaProtocol protocol, String userAgent, Boolean extractChapters, String probeSizeArgument, Boolean isAudio, Boolean forceEnableLogging, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.MediaInfo.FFProbeVideoInfo.ProbeVideo[T](MetadataResult`1 metadataResult, MetadataRefreshOptions options, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.RunCustomProvider(ICustomMetadataProvider`1 provider, MetadataResult`1 itemResult, String logName, MetadataRefreshOptions options, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, RefreshResult refreshResult, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.Server.MediaEncoding
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Edited by wloot

Happy2Play

@Lukewill have to comment but for some reason ffprobe is having issues reading the file named this way.

It's a known issue due to having a pipe | in the file name. It's on my list for review, but an easy workaround in the meantime would be to remove that.

12 hours ago, Luke said:

It's a known issue due to having a pipe | in the file name. It's on my list for review, but an easy workaround in the meantime would be to remove that.

Can I expect it to be fixed soon?

GrimReaper
Just now, kandiman said:

I have a feeling you just need to remove this character the middle dotfrom the file name and folder name

13 hours ago, Luke said:

It's a known issue due to having a pipe | in the file name.

4 minutes ago, kandiman said:

I have a feeling you just need to remove this character the middle dotfrom the file name and folder name

Thanks for the suggestion but I have my own naming convention and don't want to break it.

kandiman

Well below was my issue, 100 hundred video files of mine had the middle dot in the file names/folders and no thumbnails and metadata was generated, I removed the middle dot from everything and thumbnails and metadata was generated.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, kandiman said:

Well below was my issue, 100 hundred video files of mine had the middle dot in the file names/folders and no thumbnails and metadata was generated, I removed the middle dot from everything and thumbnails and metadata was generated.

You had pipe in the filename, , same as OP. 

This is your error log, no midfle dot there:

2021-09-21 09:40:02.568 Error ChapterImagesTask: Error creating thumbnails for /volume1/Media/Fabulous 50s/14 DAY SUMMER BODY CHALLENGE/DAY 02/01-5 Minute Fat Burning Walk | 700 Steps!.mp4

kandiman
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

You had pipe in the filename, , same as OP. 

This is your error log, no midfle dot there:

My original files had the pipe | on the external hard drive, when I copied the files from external hard drive to the Synology through Windows 10 the pipe | changed to the middle dot.

When I renamed all my files today looking for the pipe | there was none to be seen only the middle dot.

Originally I had the pipe | on Synology DSM 6 and everything generated fine.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, kandiman said:

through Windows 10 the pipe | changed to the middle dot

Because pipe is a reserved (invalid for file naming) character in Windows (in addition to several others), and gets replaced by allowed character. 

Linux/UNIX systems are much more allowing, only NULL and / are reserved, hence you can have pipe in filename. 

GrimReaper

AFAIK there's no rule for ANY invalid character replacement - you can replace it with ANY valid character, depending on the software capabilities if it is done automatically or you can simply rename it. 

Like colon in movie name (you know you cannot have colon in Windows filename): you can replace it with whatever you want, usually space or space-dash or underscore, or you can drop it alltogether. The only rule is that you cannot have it as a part of filename. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

kandiman

No probs from my observation and analysis my log file had the pipe | but my file names had the middle dot, so I'll just interpret it as Emby recognized my middle dot as the pipe |

Happy2Play
10 hours ago, wloot said:

Can I expect it to be fixed soon?

I would assume it all depends on if softworkz can make these characters work in ffmpeg/ffprobe.  If not renaming will be required.

Since Linux doesn't have illegal characters I would assume they expect all programmers to just figure it out.

image.png.d58098b088770eabb3f0a6297587b441.png