emby random buffer with rclone

nitrous13

nitrous13

hello, ive been using emby for 2 months now with no problems but suddenly now i am getting these random buffers everyday and the only way to fix it is to reboot my whole server.

i play any random video in the library, it starts playing normally but then it stops to buffer after maybe 10 seconds or less, after it stops at that first point it then plays and stops every 1 or 2 seconds to buffer. its like not even eating up bandwidth of the person watching the video to buffer the video

i am hosting the emby server on my server which is on debian 10, has 32gb ram, i7 4770, 117MB/s download speed and 117MB/s upload speed, 4TB enterprise HDD. im using rclone mount with gdrive. i have tried restarting the mount service, restarting emby server, increasing cache size, decreasing cache age, adding buffer size. nothing i tried seems to work except rebooting my whole server once a day. my friends are other users in the same server and we tested and they encountered the problem too.

i tried this mount configuration

#!/bin/bash fusermount -uz /home/nitrous/embystuff rclone mount "embystuff:" "/home/nitrous/embystuff" --allow-other --poll-interval 5m --cache-dir=/home/nitrous/cache/embystuff --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 400G --vfs-cache-max-age 18h -vP

and this mount configuration

#!/bin/bash fusermount -uz /home/nitrous/embystuff rclone mount "embystuff:" "/home/nitrous/embystuff" --allow-other --poll-interval 5m --cache-dir=/home/nitrous/cache/embystuff --vfs-cache-mode full --vfs-cache-max-size 200G --vfs-cache-max-age 72h -vP

i tried hosting on ubuntu and debian. tried rclone version 1.54.1, 1.55, 1.56... problem still happened. i have also changed my whole server where i host emby but I still encounter the same problem on the new one. the buffering usually happens after 24 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less, doesnt matter if its direct play or transcoding. it was working perfectly for the past 2 months until a few days ago when this happened. if the buffering happens the only fix i found was to reboot my whole server, would really appreciate any help.

rodainas

I use this one

rclone mount --allow-other --fast-list --uid=1000 --gid=1000 --umask 002 --timeout 1h --transfers=16 --checkers=8 --tpslimit 10 --max-read-ahead=256M --poll-interval=1m --dir-cache-time 1000h --vfs-cache-mode writes --vfs-cache-max-age 1h --vfs-read-chunk-size-limit 2048M --vfs-read-chunk-size 64M --buffer-size 64M

• 7 months later...
coreymichael

Hi!

Has anyone figured out a fix for this? The same thing happens to me except I'm having the same exact issue with dropbox.

kikinjo

There is nothing in mount command that is not good, i would add --buffer-size 24M to have rclone download 24m im RAM first and than after drop it to VFS cache.
You need to check connection from your server towards gdrive but also towards your client. Start troubleshooting from network stack first.
Check clinet connection towards emby server to see if there is any pocket loss or anything cos this sounds to me client - server connection issue. Rclone is the last
thing to check if you say that it was working fine for months.

coreymichael

I have a constant flow and fast load times if I watch something from the server locally. If I select a dropbox drive that's mounted with winfsp then it starts randomly buffering every 10-20 seconds for about 1-2 seconds.  I can play the files on the dropbox drive completely fine when using it directly through windows explorer so I don't believe it's a mount issue with rclone.  I can also play the files in any other media players with no issues.  The only time I have an issue is with Emby.  I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the communication between Emby and winfsp.  Everything is updated to most recent.  I'm on a 2GB fiber internet line and everything is connected with cat8 cables on a 10GB enterprise router.  I really have no clue why the hiccup is happening.  Everything runs nice and smooth with multiple devices and multiple media players, but when I load up Emby it's buffering only with that dropbox mount in windows 10 enterprise.

7 hours ago, coreymichael said:

I have a constant flow and fast load times if I watch something from the server locally. If I select a dropbox drive that's mounted with winfsp then it starts randomly buffering every 10-20 seconds for about 1-2 seconds.  I can play the files on the dropbox drive completely fine when using it directly through windows explorer so I don't believe it's a mount issue with rclone.  I can also play the files in any other media players with no issues.  The only time I have an issue is with Emby.  I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the communication between Emby and winfsp.  Everything is updated to most recent.  I'm on a 2GB fiber internet line and everything is connected with cat8 cables on a 10GB enterprise router.  I really have no clue why the hiccup is happening.  Everything runs nice and smooth with multiple devices and multiple media players, but when I load up Emby it's buffering only with that dropbox mount in windows 10 enterprise.

Hi there, can we please look at an example?

Thanks.