What is locking all my tuners?

CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

I did so many things, just to see if I could cause it. I'll try to narrow it down to the specific event. Home key from a stream did not cause it immediately, I tested that and the stream came right back up. I think maybe what caused it was a specific unstable channel/stream losing connection and kicking the Roku back out to the guide. Then the dashboard shows nothing and m3u limit is also reached.

cayars

Keep in mind the server could be trying to re-establish the stream you asked for so if you try another right away it would show it over the limit. What might be a good idea if you get the over limit warning is to wait 5 minutes and try it again.  Is it still over the limit or did the server free it up?  Might not need 5 minutes but that would be a good first time test.

The problem with one stream is that it can limit the way Emby works. Most tuners or providers give 3 or more streams which ads some wiggle room.  This can allow a stream to be open while Emby opens another channel before shutting down the first. Not saying that applies to the way you were testing.

So far in your testing does it seem like the latest beta is trapping and handling this better than before?

martincom

Well, I determined why Emby is transcoding some channels and not others.  I'm gathering it cannot pass interlaced video.  The progressive scanned channels, 720P, are direct streaming.  the interlaced channels, 1380i and 480i, are being transcoded.

Utilizing the developer's guide that  CharlieMurphy provided the link to, I attempted to add parameters to the tuner url so it would do the transcoding.  However, I couldn't find a combination that would work with my HDHomerun Flex.  There is a check box within the Emby tuner setup I gather is to enable Emby to accomplish the same task, but it does not appear to have an effect.

ebr
13 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

I think maybe what caused it was a specific unstable channel/stream losing connection and kicking the Roku back out to the guide

I think a failure for a channel to actually start playing may still be an issue with the tracking.

cayars
On 9/15/2021 at 4:02 PM, CharlieMurphy said:

Got it. I Googled it and it looks like HDHR does transcode for clients. AVC means... h264? I'm in too deep.

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_http_development.pdf

Maybe Emby could request that the HDHR does the transcode. Or maybe the HDHR could be configured to default to that.

23 minutes ago, martincom said:

Well, I determined why Emby is transcoding some channels and not others.  I'm gathering it cannot pass interlaced video.  The progressive scanned channels, 720P, are direct streaming.  the interlaced channels, 1380i and 480i, are being transcoded.

Utilizing the developer's guide that  CharlieMurphy provided the link to, I attempted to add parameters to the tuner url so it would do the transcoding.  However, I couldn't find a combination that would work with my HDHomerun Flex.  There is a check box within the Emby tuner setup I gather is to enable Emby to accomplish the same task, but it does not appear to have an effect.

I believe SiliconDust only had one older model that supported transcoding on the box which was the 2 channel OTA Extend.  The quality wasn't that good and most people using it with Emby would turn that off and let Emby Server do the transcoding as does a much better job and the quality was much better letting Emby do the transcoding.

Some Emby clients can handle interlaced video while others can't.  But as you found out Emby Server will transcode those channels for you when needed.

• Like 1
CharlieMurphy

Testing again today. I want to make sure I get my facts straight before I give any more feedback so I don't make a mess of bad info here.