Nvidia Shield/Mac network

nickysilver

nickysilver

2 questions: If I delete emby server and  emby and start totally from scratch the old corrupt (if it IS corrupt database) will also be deleted, no? (and replaced with a new data base (About a week's worth of work).

Can I just re-enter my license code?

nickysilver

Interestingly, when I navigate to the HD it only shows FOLDER on the drive (foreign movies with SRT files in folders) not files (about 2395 movies).

I think somehow you may have pointed a library to just /storage, or /storage/A629CEBDA80DF8F9 which is obviously not going to work. Can you go into emby library setup and delete that library?

Or how about this, can you list out what emby libraries you have created along with the exact folder paths you added to each one? Then we'll see which ones to delete. Thanks.

nickysilver

The old movies library: /storage/A629CEBDA80DF8F9/movies 2

the TV library: /storage/B40CC5170CC4D590/TELEVISION  (STILL WORKS!)

Collections: shows no path.

When I TRY to add a new library using the exact same path as the old movie library.. i get the path can not be found message/please make sure emby has access. Same thing if I navigate to it.

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

You must hate me. (Although to be honest I'm too thrilled myself at the moment)

BTW, plex can access and play movies on the HD. So it's not the HD, it's something corrupted or wrong in the emby data.

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

Please answer the questions above:

2 questions: If I delete emby server and  emby and start totally from scratch the old corrupt (if it IS corrupt database) will also be deleted, no? (and replaced with a new data base (About a week's worth of work).

Can I just re-enter my license code?

You may be gone for the night. I guess I'll start from scratch tomorrow. Delete Emby server and start over. (not a good night. (I just copied the collections folder. I bet I can just drop that in when I'm up and running)

I just tried to restore from yesterdays backup. It said restart the server as son as p[ssible. So I shut it down and restarted. No change, I fear.

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

As a test I attached a HD that is a back up of the movies drive. I tried to add it as a new library. Still got the "bad path, make sure emby has access"  message.

Restoring setting from back up did nothing. 

If I get no more advice, I guess I'll delete emby and server tomorrow morning and try to start from scratch.

I know I've been a shrieking nightmare, but this was totally unexpected and really is about a solid week of constant work to re-edit everything,.

(the 2400 movies are in order from favorite to least fave. I change the sort title on every one.Not to mention about 65  collections.)

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

12:30.... you have either decided you've had it with me, or you've gone to bed.

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

So. I uninstalled everything. Server is currently scanning 2441 movies. I'll do Collections and TV in a few days. (It'll take me a few days to edit all the metadata in the movies folder.)

2 issues. Connect didn't work, but I entered the address manually and it worked.

I entered my key (lifetime membership) and it says it's updated on my laptop, but I still have an "unlock app" option on the shield. I tried, restore unlock but that didn't work. I'm hoping after the initial scan I will restart the server and the license key will then be reflected on the shield? What do you think?

1 hour ago, nickysilver said:

So. I uninstalled everything. Server is currently scanning 2441 movies. I'll do Collections and TV in a few days. (It'll take me a few days to edit all the metadata in the movies folder.)

2 issues. Connect didn't work, but I entered the address manually and it worked.

I entered my key (lifetime membership) and it says it's updated on my laptop, but I still have an "unlock app" option on the shield. I tried, restore unlock but that didn't work. I'm hoping after the initial scan I will restart the server and the license key will then be reflected on the shield? What do you think?

How about other emby apps? Are they advertising premiere to you?

rbjtech

wow - a lot has happened since I last logged on.. and by the looks of it - none of it is good. :(

First thing - don't spend any time manually editing metadata until you've got a solid backup mechanism in place and I would recommend that you configure each emby library as follows :-

a) Ensure you save Metadata and other options such as Thumbnail images/Subtitles etc with the media files - ie your external harddrive.   You set this in the library settings.

b) Tick the Metadata Savers NFO option. (this will save to the media folder also)

This ensures that ALL the associated metadata (including anything manually edited) is saved outside the core emby system.   Thus, if you decide to move the emby server, or it gets damaged etc - then all your metadata is still available with a re-scan.

The only exception to this is collections - which can be recreated by restoring the small config files from the backup.

---

I would personally stop the current scan - and start again once the above has been set.   Delete the library I'm afraid ..

You will see the metadata (images etc) and NFo files get created on the HDD once the new scan starts.

Once the library is back - and you have a backup - then lets work on the clients ..

---

btw - I've never actually used Emby Server on the Shield - so I'm actually going to install it for the experience myself (with a test library on an external HDD)

Edited by rbjtech

nickysilver

Oh RBJ, I feel I'm nothing but a disappointment to you. As you know, I deleted both Emby and the server from the shield. I re- downloaded  them and started from scratch.  I let it scan all 2400 movies and I'm on "W" changing artwork. (That's the easy part. As I said, I rank the movies from favorite to ick, so so every sort title gets edited.) I hate to admit it, but I was up overnight.  Over the years I done this a few times and I know it takes me about 4 days. 

I didn't feel like I had options. Backup didn't work and it wouldn't even make a NEW library using that disk.

Now, before I deleted everything I went into the shield on my mac via the network. I copied a couple of file onto my desktop. I coped COLLECTIONS. And one called LIBRARY. I  have to admit I don't know what to do with them. (I mean I COULD access the shields via the network and replace  the new ones-- but who knows where the corruption was?

I'm mostly annoyed that the server on the shield keeps asking if I want to unlock the app-- even though the dashboard on my mac says my lifetime membership is in good standing. (I'm hoping after I restart the server, once I finish this artwork check,  the shield will match the MacBook.

I'll just let the TV HD drive wait till next week, when I've recreated everything I had before. (I realize I'm obsessive-- I had 48 custom collections-- but as I said, I've done this a couple of times.

Any words of wisdom?

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

Oh RBJ, I feel I'm nothing but a disappointment to you. As you know, I deleted both Emby and the server from the shield. I re- downloaded  them and started from scratch.  I let it scan all 2400 movies and I'm on "W" changing artwork. (That's the easy part. As I said, I rank the movies from favorite to ick, so so every sort title gets edited.) I hate to admit it, but I was up overnight.  Over the years I done this a few times and I know it takes me about 4 days. 

I didn't feel like I had options. Backup didn't work and it wouldn't even make a NEW library using that disk.

Now, before I deleted everything I went into the shield on my mac via the network. I copied a couple of file onto my desktop. I coped COLLECTIONS. And one called LIBRARY. I  have to admit I don't know what to do with them. (I mean I COULD access the shields via the network and replace  the new ones-- but who knows where the corruption was?

I'm mostly annoyed that the server on the shield keeps asking if I want to unlock the app-- even though the dashboard on my mac says my lifetime membership is in good standing. (I'm hoping after I restart the server, once I finish this artwork check,  the shield will match the MacBook.

I'll just let the TV HD drive wait till next week, when I've recreated everything I had before. (I realize I'm obsessive-- I had 48 custom collections-- but as I said, I've done this a couple of times.

Any words of wisdom?

Unless you have set the library to save metadata with the media - then I think you are not going to be in a better position should the same thing happen again (for whatever reason).

If you are editing a lot of metadata, then I think it's really important you have a solid way of easily recreating that - and NFO files is likely the answer here as that makes the entire system portable.  for example  - you could if you wanted to - attach your HDD to another emby install - and on a re-scan, it would automatically import all your manual edits.

Give me an hour or so - as I'm setting up Emby on the Shield myself - I just wanna check things myself and I can also probably provide screen grabs as well.

nickysilver

I have info installed.... but I do not think I've configured it. (It always made me anxious to add data to the hard drive-- I still have plex-- thank god-- that accesses it. Yes, I have them both. I really never use Plex-- I MUCH Prefer Emby-- but I saw no reason to delete it. And as you may recall, this all started because Plex reads a folder on the mac, which I use to "test files" before I add them to the drive,)

Edited by nickysilver

rbjtech

ok - so if the NFO file is on the HDD (one for each film), then emby can read this edited metadata - but only if emby wrote the edited metadata in the first place.  It will read the base metadata as well - this will save time in scanning.

Can you post an example NFO file ?

If it has the info we need - then it will have a couple of entries -

1)  <lockedfields>SortName</lockedfields>

2)   <sorttitle>your edited sort title</sorttitle>

If the above are not there - then this means your edited data is unfortunately not available - and this is why I recommend configuring emby to WRITE the data to this NFO file.  Both Plex and Emby will use it. 

Edited by rbjtech

nickysilver

I know it wasn't saved. (And I wouldn't know where to look. You must think me a moron.)

On the bright side, it's offering me to enable seasonal themes now, which I think, only happens once you've paid. So it got my license key :)

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

so although i've done the images, i've not edited the sort names (adding a numerical prefix) nor my comments, nor the backdrops. I should configure  NFO before I go on, right?

rbjtech

Yes

I've setup the Shield Server and configured the libraries - 

So I created a new library - TV Series in my case

In Folder - I then typed /storage/ and hit the looking glass symbol

the available paths are shown below

• 8E5... is an external HDD
  • MEDIA is my main media server mounted shares (no different to your MAC)

889728072_Screenshot2022-08-17110020.png.81b8d0f93ab7434d515e205a7efe6292.png

Ensure 'show Advanced Settings' is selected at  the top ..

Ensure Metadata Savers is ticked (by default it is not)

Ensure 'Save artwork into media folders' is ticked (by default it is not)

If you have Video Preview Thumbnails enabled - then again, ensure the 'Save viewo preview thumbnails into media folders' is ticked.

Subtitles (if you use them) are automatically saved with the media - but check this.

--

Now if I want to add more movies/tv series etc to the SAME library as above - then I just select the Folders + Button - and then repeat for the folders.  OR I can create another library - this is up to you.

--

Below is for the MOUNTED drive on the shield. (ie a Network/remote location)

Exactly the same process - but this time I select MEDIA (MB-AIR in your case..) and then select the sharename 

Then setup that library if new (the same as above) or it will of course just use the same setting if you added to an existing library.

My Shield is now scanning all the items from the local HDD AND the MEDIA share ..

1805290994_Screenshot2022-08-17110818.png.c02e0431aa6d41e411efb7269451df28.png

• Like 1

nickysilver

i had no problem adding the movie library.  (and I assume I'll have no problem adding the TV library. I've created a few collection and just added a few movies to them-- just to set them up. Oddly the dynamic image for collections isn't working-- but small potatoes).

I had selected my metadata reader as nfo.

I had checked there info box, under metadata savers. (How do I know if it's saving it? Where would I look?)

I'd love to keep editing, but do want to know if it's getting saved before I do.

(Good thing I'm off today from Oxfam. I'd be SOOOOO crabby from no sleep)

You feel free to come takeover my computer via team view, if you want.

rbjtech

If your library from the HDD has already scanned - then you need to REscan it to get the data written to your HDD.

Once you have configured the library (as above) - then in My Media - select your library - then use the ... in the bottom right hand corner of the icon - and then select 'Refresh Metadata'

Select to replace ALL metadata and select to replace existing images.  Then hit Refresh.

This will take a while - but this time, it will be creating the metadata on the HDD and removing it from the Shield internal drive.

nickysilver

I don't mind "refreshing all metadata" I just want to know where to look for this data. Is there a folder on the HDD (I can access it via the network easily) or is it a file NEXT to each movie file?

rbjtech
Just now, nickysilver said:

I don't mind "refreshing all metadata" I just want to know where to look for this data. Is there a folder on the HDD (I can access it via the network easily) or is it a file NEXT to each movie file?

Exactly - all the metadata is stored in the subfolder along with the media file.

An example below -

453509602_Screenshot2022-08-17112948.png.c20b9fe9295f1be87055439a346ff0f3.png

nickysilver

Whoo hoo!!!!

It looks to me like I don';t have to refresh all metadata! I had checked it initially and it is there!!!!

Now. Can I ask a couple questions about this? Do I gave to worry that i'll run out of room? I'll attach a second screen shot showing how much room is there.

AND when I take a movie off (I do ALL the time. I add a couple, remove a couple) I manually remove the NFO fils as well, right?

AND LASTLY, as I add movies, this will automatically happen, right-- cause it was checked at the start.

(Can I send you some wine or something?)

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at  11.34. AMAug 17, 2022.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at  11.36. AMAug 17, 2022.jpg

Edited by nickysilver