Nvidia Shield/Mac network

nickysilver

nickysilver

I''m new to Emby (long time Plex user) and I set it up today. I've got emby working on my shield and the first library is movies from a HD that is plugged into my shield's usb. Now, I am trying to add a second library. It is located on my mac laptop (on the same network). I have no idea what to type into the search to get the shield emby server to see my mac. And I am about as technology backward as one gets! Help?

nickysilver

Well, in theory it helped. But it told me to log in with my username and password... I have none. And it just spends and spins trying to log into the network

Is it, do you think, the same user name and password I use to transfer files TO THE SHIELD?

You certainly have usernames/passwords on your Mac which is what you will need to provider on the Shield to login.

nickysilver

i tried that. it couldn't connect. (i've been at this for a very long time today... might be time to start again tomorrow)

Couple of general things.

Make sure the server name is all caps. This would be set on the MAC. On the Shield TV you also enter this in all caps.
Username and passwords are case sensitive so make sure you type them correctly.

Once configured test this with a File Explorer type app on the Shield TV itself to make sure these new shares are setup correctly before testing them in Emby.

Edited by cayars

nickysilver

Sorry.... I was at work today. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. (I'm in London, btw, so it's evening here.)

Thank you!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 9:12 AM, nickysilver said:

I never did get this accomplished and now 10 months later, I'm trying again.

To no avail.

Hi there @nickysilver, can you give this another try and let us know how far you get?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058102-android-tv-storage-attachment

Thanks !

nickysilver

My problem is what to enter folder to point to the folder (which is called MOVIES MAC located macintosh hd/users/nickysilver/desktop/MOVIES MAC)

i've entered in many variations, with dashes for spaces, all caps, etc. and i always get bad path message.

i also don't really understand if my laptop ip address goes first and then that, or vice versa. But i've tried every variation.

the shield and my laptop are both on t he same network.

(You see i keep movies, tv, etc, on hard drives plugged into the shield. But, i often test them from my laptop before i add them to the drive. That said, i've lived this long without achieving this wizardry, i can continue to use plex for just this one thing. i am big advocate for emby and have convinced a few friends to make the switch as i did, so i don't mean to be grumpy or defeatist about it.... it would be nice, but i fear it is beyond my Luddite self.)

Edited by nickysilver

18 hours ago, nickysilver said:

My problem is what to enter folder to point to the folder

Hi.  You have to find a way to make the folders accessible to the Shield itself and then reference them that way.  This is outside of Emby.  I'm not familiar enough with Mac networking to know how but you need to get those volumes mounted on the shield as network storage.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058102-android-tv-storage-attachment

nickysilver

I continue to get cannot find the path message. Not sure which part is wrong to be honest. I know others have achieved this so, it must be doable (perhaps just not by me). The combination of Mac and shield seems pretty problematic.

Edited by nickysilver

19 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

I continue to get cannot find the path message

Hi.  Exactly where are you getting that message?

51 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

at the end, after i enter the path

Exactly where are you entering a path?

nickysilver

well.... i tried again and again writing the path differently, and i still get "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."

I guess I'll just stick with my current set-up. You've been very very nice, but whatever it is I'm supposed to type and where I'm supposed to type it remains a mystery.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:42 PM, nickysilver said:

i tried that. it couldn't connect. (i've been at this for a very long time today... might be time to start again tomorrow)

What did it say?

nickysilver
11 hours ago, nickysilver said:

"The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again."

rbjtech

I don't have a MAC, but going back to basics - the issue is likely the share on the MAC is not setup or the user permissions (Registered User) for it are unknown.

The link below is how to setup a 'share' on the MAC.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh17131/mac#:~:text=%20Set%20up%20file%20sharing%20%201%20On,Advanced%20Options%2C%20select%20desired%20options%2C%20then...%20See%20More.

Once this is done - and you've got the share name and credentials (username & password)

You should be able to check the share by actually using it directly on the laptop itself.

THEN move onto mapping it on the Shield.

The Shield should 'find it' as it's on the same network - and ask for a username/password.

You shouldn't need things like DOMAIN/WORKGROUP - but if it doesn't work - then try LAPTOPNAME\username instead.

Once you've added that - then it should connect to that share.  

You should then see it on the Shield 'connected' list and the shares should show.

This may help.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1140/12.0/mac/12.0

Once that is all done - the networking/connectivity piece is complete.

In Emby, you now just need to map to the SHIELD share.

ie \\MYSHIELD\share (do not map to the Mac share!)

Edited by rbjtech

nickysilver

I'm attaching some screen shots showing that I should be sharing the folder. 

The last screenshot  is, of course, what I'm presented with in emby. No matter what I type into those two fields, I get "the path could not be found."

MB-AIR shows up in "MY NETWORK STORAGE"on the shield, but I get connection failed most o f the time. (Connecting as guest, I have unchecked require password)

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at  10.09. AMAug 16, 2022.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at  10.09. AMAug 16, 2022 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at  10.10. AMAug 16, 2022.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at  10.14. AMAug 16, 2022.jpg

Edited by nickysilver

nickysilver

PS. People are always blurring out their info in screenshots. Is there any reason I should care about this? I mean doesn't someone have to been my network to access my computer?  Should I delete that message?

Edited by nickysilver