Live TV on Android TV need Transcoding, WHY ?

nunuxx

Hi,

I'm using "Iptv 1.1.9.0" extension

- I put playlist.m3u8 url then i choose name and picture

- All is fine on PC/MAC/ANDROID Smartphone/Iphone/etc...

- BUT not on Android TV : Android TV need "Transcoding option" enable (but I don't want it)

Here is mediainfo with transcoding :

mediainfo2.thumb.jpg.f65459c5f6a278a71175af1a55246d86.jpg

On the left > my transcode

On the right > emby transcode of my transcode (lol)

It's clearly the SAME instead emby segment are 1 second, mine 8 seconds

---

When I watch on browser here is nerd stats :

1630338004.jpg.c3abee8c46f6931801b02a2bff564784.jpg

As you can see it's "Directplay" (no need transcoding > option is turned OFF)

---

Then I checked log :

1630357296.jpg.accce22877f717a8315a0410d6e0a73d.jpg

I tried to change the max bitrate without success (maybe you have solution for that?)

---

I'm using 1000 devices subscription, I really need this working

Note : It's working fine on "Jellyfin Android TV" app

Note² : It's worked fine few month ago with Emby server 4.6.x and Android TV app 1.8.x

I'm using Emby BETA version and all is uptodate

I don't understand why it's working everywhere but not in Android TV ?

---

Tell me more please?

Regards

For clarification, are you setting up your channels in Live TV/DVR setup area of Emby Server or in the IPTV plugin?

That's really not the way to go as you get no guide data, no DVR or other TV features.
This also won't allow you to configure Android TV properly for Live TV to not transcode.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Where did you set the bitrate limit? Try setting it higher than 40 mbps.

Please tell me the right way to set this bitrate limit?

I found old post here and guy said into .js file (don't remember which one).. then into the settings android tv app :

16308714034738292485344306658150.thumb.jpg.5abcac7bcebbb1961de09d059a25d8bc.jpg

All of them didn't change anything...

Really need this feature working again please help

Hi.  The first thing you should do is remove the IPTV plug-in and add your m3u file as a Live TV tuner.  Then let us know how the playback is.

18 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  The first thing you should do is remove the IPTV plug-in and add your m3u file as a Live TV tuner.  Then let us know how the playback is.

As has been said, it sounds like you're using the wrong functionality of Emby for this.

You want to setup your Live TV in the Live TV/DVR section of the Emby Server, not in the IPTV plugin.

@cayarsAs I SAID : I'm USING IPTV 1.1.9.0 plugin from the "Extensions" field into Emby Panel

1631008049.jpg.a20252afa0b200c6632b4023ad978d69.jpg1631008077.jpg.ff96fe4bd8f3df81ce1d9e28471ad2a8.jpg

I put NAME + URL (finishing with .m3u8) + image url
Then protocol : HTTP

Works fine on BROWSER (CHROME) DIRECTPLAY without transcoding :

1630338004.jpg.5e13579661d505c4a5c4bac07abc3857.jpg

Works fine on Emby Smartphone app too without transcoding

*BUT* NOT into Android TV App > Problem is 1630357296.jpg.590916d2eaefe59dcfb951092a2bb1db.jpg

--- Then it's working FINE into JELLYFIN .. AND it's worked fine few weeks ago with EMBY 4.6.x and Android TV app 1.8.x without transcoding

I'm using Emby BETA (now 4.7.0.9) : If i turn ON transcoding option : it's WORKING, BUT it's transcoding as the same I already do !

mediainfo2.thumb.jpg.abdc2b524f5a9a9f5e1134bf53c104d0.jpg

This is insane ? Why Transcoding WITH SAME format SAME options : All is same (AVC / AAC LC / all others things) ?

Please help me :)

We understand this, but we're trying to tell you this is the wrong approach for setting up Live TV.

IPTV plugin wasn't designed for Live TV but for single streams.
If you want your clients to be able to direct play or direct stream Live TV vs always transcoding then you need to set this up using Live TV not IPTV plugin.

If you follow our lead and set this up in Live TV it should work much better for you and give you the full TV experience as designed.

With that said, it appears on that specific Android client you have a bitrate limit set that is causing the transcode.

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

We understand this, but we're trying to tell you this is the wrong approach for setting up Live TV.

IPTV plugin wasn't designed for Live TV but for single streams.
If you want your clients to be able to direct play or direct stream Live TV vs always transcoding then you need to set this up using Live TV not IPTV plugin.

If you follow our lead and set this up in Live TV it should work much better for you and give you the full TV experience as designed.

check this please

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/101400-live-tv-on-android-tv-need-transcoding-why/&do=findComment&comment=1064484

Just now, cayars said:

With that said, it appears on that specific Android client you have a bitrate limit set that is causing the transcode.

Do you know HOW to remove it or to increase it ? 

Check your user settings.  I don't have the client in front of me to look but I think it's in the Playback menu.

Hi.  Can you show us how you have this setup now in the Live TV section of the dashboard?

Did you remove the IPTV plugin as well?

5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you show us how you have this setup now in the Live TV section of the dashboard?

Did you remove the IPTV plugin as well?

I removed the IPTV plugin, then into "Setup" > "TV Sources" (clicked on PLUS) > Type > M3U > File or URL > URL > https://myurl/folder/playlist.m3u8

1631043872.jpg.a021fd0c2a49a3327777d2d324edcb3b.jpg

Then "Save"

Nothing else? (there is nothing more to put !? )

That's not a valid URL you entered unless that's just for show and "myurl" is actually a domain name.

That isn't a valid URL either.  

Are you giving us a place holder for myurl.ext but really using something else for this?

I'm trying to help you but wanting to make sure what you're entering is correct.

Is the URL self hosted or on an Internet computer?

Can you download it via web browser?

It's a server. Yes i can download it from the web. Please can you read my first post please?

All is working : browser / android smartphone app / etc

ONLY on Android TV app it doesn't. That's all.

Right but that was using IPTV plugin and we asked you to setup live tv using LiveTV/DVR menu.

So your results should be different now.