Playback on XBox Series X stuttering like mad.

SamuelWinsor

MBSki
15 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

On my XB1X I can direct play all 4K remuxes and get TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X to work.  The only thing I can't get is HDR to trigger on my TV and my TV doesn't support DV so can't speak for that.  If not for HDR though I could use my Xbox as a primary playback device.

What!? I've never gotten 4k to work. What about on an Xbox Series X?

FrostByte
Just now, mbarylski said:

What!? I've never gotten 4k to work. What about on an Xbox Series X?

My son has a series X, but never tried Emby on it because of the issues people mention here.  I was just saying I don't think it's a problem with "ALL" Xbox's and HEVC because my XB1X direct plays 4K HEVC just fine (except HDR and I'm guessing that would include HLG and DV also) don't trigger.

MBSki
Just now, FrostByte said:

My son has a series X, but never tried Emby on it because of the issues people mention here.  I was just saying I don't think it's a problem with "ALL" Xbox's and HEVC because my XB1X direct plays 4K HEVC just fine (except HDR and I'm guessing that would include HLG and DV also) don't trigger.

Well, that's good to know because I've never been able to get it to work on ANY xbox. My XB1X is now on a 1080p tv so I can't test that console so it would be great if @Luke could get it to work on the Xbox Series X.

FrostByte

I wasn't able to get HD audio in 4K remuxes to work long ago, but something has changed.  Got my Xbox set to Uncompressed 7.1 and passthrough now and the Atmos and DTS:X lights come on my now.  An improvement over what it used to be.

Still not usable for me without HDR though.  So, I too am looking forward to that new app being available.

• Like 1

MBSki
13 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I wasn't able to get HD audio in 4K remuxes to work long ago, but something has changed.  Got my Xbox set to Uncompressed 7.1 and passthrough now and the Atmos and DTS:X lights come on my now.  An improvement over what it used to be.

Still not usable for me without HDR though.  So, I too am looking forward to that new app being available.

Thanks, I'll at least try the same setting you have as I believe HD audio was the issue before. 

MBSki

I tried a 4k movie on Xbox Series X and I couldn't get it to work with the 7.1 and passthrough settings. It just went to a black screen and the playback status on the dashboard showed that it was trying to transcode the audio.

adavis219

Check your Xbox device after the latest update guys, it seems to have solved my stuttering issues. I did do a fresh install of Emby on my Xbox as well so that could’ve been the reason too. Just thought I’d put it out there.

• Thanks 1

MBSki

No luck on the Xbox series x. The app freezes the entire console when trying to play a 4k video. 

Letainer21

Not sure what’s happened in the past 24 hours but the stuttering issues I’ve been dealing with for over a year on Series X are now pretty much gone.  I’d say it’s about 90% improved.  Was the new update pushed through possibly?  @Luke

17 minutes ago, Letainer21 said:

Not sure what’s happened in the past 24 hours but the stuttering issues I’ve been dealing with for over a year on Series X are now pretty much gone.  I’d say it’s about 90% improved.  Was the new update pushed through possibly?  @Luke

It looks like the XBox system update may have helped.

MBSki
Just now, Luke said:

Why is my entire console freezing when I try to play a 4k file then? The experience playing back a 4k video has never been worse.

Letainer21
14 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Why is my entire console freezing when I try to play a 4k file then? The experience playing back a 4k video has never been worse.

I haven’t tried a 4K movie yet since new update but from what I remember when trying before, that used to happen to me as well.  I fixed it by setting network speed to auto and internet speed to any of the 4K options.  Give that a try.  Moving network off auto always crashes 4K movies for me. 

Letainer21
28 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think your correct.  At this time it’s a insiders only update that was pushed through yesterday.  It’s easy to become a insider however.   Just sign up in the Xbox dashboard insiders app if you haven’t yet.  As I am not sure when the general public will get this new update.  

MBSki
1 hour ago, Letainer21 said:

I haven’t tried a 4K movie yet since new update but from what I remember when trying before, that used to happen to me as well.  I fixed it by setting network speed to auto and internet speed to any of the 4K options.  Give that a try.  Moving network off auto always crashes 4K movies for me. 

Thanks. That's a little better. It doesn't freeze my console anymore, but it still won't play. 

Which insiders ring received the update?

Letainer21
36 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Thanks. That's a little better. It doesn't freeze my console anymore, but it still won't play. 

Which insiders ring received the update?

Here you go.  Easy as pie.  Good luck man. 

0C82451A-B372-4C8D-9A25-5B1EBB300C4F.jpeg

MBSki
Just now, Letainer21 said:

Here you go.  Easy as pie.  Good luck man. 

0C82451A-B372-4C8D-9A25-5B1EBB300C4F.jpeg

I'm already signed up on the Omega ring. I was curious which ring just got the update that seems to be helping users. If it's Omega, then it didn't do anything to help me.

If you guys are still experiencing issues with 4K stuttering do us a favor and upload a screen shot of the Media Info found on the detail screen at the bottom.

MBSki
5 hours ago, cayars said:

If you guys are still experiencing issues with 4K stuttering do us a favor and upload a screen shot of the Media Info found on the detail screen at the bottom.

The screen before we press play? 

FrostByte
1 hour ago, MBSki said:

The screen before we press play? 

It might be easier to take a screenshot of it on the server, especially if viewing from a pc.  Or, if you have the mediainfo app that will show the most information.

MBSki
38 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

It might be easier to take a screenshot of it on the server, especially if viewing from a pc.  Or, if you have the mediainfo app that will show the most information.

Agreed, I'm trying to understand the point though. I can keep trying different 4k movies, but I've yet to find one that actually plays. What exactly are they looking to find?

MBSki
14 hours ago, cayars said:

I'm not sure what you're after, but here is the media info for 5 that won't play at all. What's it mean that some users see stuttering and others can't get it to play at all? I still haven't found a 4k movie that will play.

image.png.dfcd2e524b57f8f9684669313d552892.png

image.png.5f325286876275012e6c3b1036928450.png

image.png.6718bc193b26dd064795c685611d242f.png

image.png.50c7b5db3772d0325c7a560621c68a29.png

image.png.887ba980bbd7e17afb5a21da1dac2619.png

Thanks,

So we know 10 bit HDR10 files file bt2020nc color space which also happen to all be TrueHD 7.1 sound as well.

Now if you find any without the problem it would be interesting to see if the specs are different.

Carlo

MBSki
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Thanks,

So we know 10 bit HDR10 files file bt2020nc color space which also happen to all be TrueHD 7.1 sound as well.

Now if you find any without the problem it would be interesting to see if the specs are different.

Carlo

I'll look for something different and try it.