Playback on XBox Series X stuttering like mad.

SamuelWinsor

Out of curiosity have you tried playing back content encoded in AVC vs HEVC to see if it's related to that?
Have you tried changing the refresh rate the Xbox is using?

SamuelWinsor

Yes and yes, both to no avail. Going to bust out the XBox One this evening and see if it plays any differently to the Series X, just to test. 

• Like 1

SamuelWinsor

Just to throw a spanner in the works, playback is perfect on XBox One X on two different TVs. So now the issue remains Emby specific on the Series X only. I will lodge a support request with XBox, and continue just to troubleshoot and see how we go over time. But I am at least able to enjoy Emby again by busting out the previous console, so it takes the sting out of whatever is going on with the Series X. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SamuelWinsor said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works, playback is perfect on XBox One X on two different TVs. So now the issue remains Emby specific on the Series X only. I will lodge a support request with XBox, and continue just to troubleshoot and see how we go over time. But I am at least able to enjoy Emby again by busting out the previous console, so it takes the sting out of whatever is going on with the Series X. 

That's interesting, thanks for the info.

Out of curiosity, did you unplug the Series X and plug the One X in using the same HDMI cable, same Ethernet and TV, so the only difference was the Xbox itself?

Ethernet or WIFI?

Edited by cayars

SamuelWinsor

I have tried three different HDMIs across the two, had the same thought. Made no difference. Wifi, my NBN box and router was installed in a really fucking dumb place in my house by the previous owner, and connecting directly with an Ethernet cable is not possible unfortunately. But for what it’s worth, I have never had a connection or speed issue with the wifi until now. 

SamuelWinsor

Sorry, I realise that didn’t properly answer your question. After having tried multiple cables with the Series X, did a test yesterday using all the same cables etc. but just swapping the consoles; One X plays fine, Series X judders like mad. 

SamuelWinsor

Starting to look pretty conclusive. Especially given that all the settings on my One X are the same as the Series X. Resolution, refresh rate, network, playback conditions. The only thing different is the physicality of the console. Whether a recent update on the Series X has done something weird to the app or any of its video players is now for them to confirm or deny. Hopefully it’s just something that resolves itself in the future. Hey, thanks for all your help, the community here is phenomenal. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
SamuelWinsor

@LukeI know this thread has been dormant for a while, but just checking in to say that not only is the issue on the Series X still occurring, but I’m now having the same issue on the XB1X since yesterday. None of the other details I’ve shared in this thread have changed. Curious as to whether or not you have any insight or updates? The XBox client is just not reliable at the moment, and unfortunately that’s all I’ve got. 

Andrewbusby

Hi All,

Just to say that this issue also seems to be happening for the last month or so on my Xbox Series S. Happy to give data if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
SamuelWinsor

@Luke Purely to keep the dream alive, just touching base and letting you know that since the most recent UI update, the XBox Series X’s playback is somehow even worse. No longer just frustrating, but jumpy to the point of generally being unwatchable. The XBox One X’s playback has returned to a much more reliable state, with some very minor stuttering in the first couple minutes of the film, so that’s at least taken the sting out of still waiting for the Series X issues to be resolved. Same as last time, absolutely no change in system, server, hardware, whatever. Same as it has always been, the Series X app just won’t play any file smoothly.

As an aside, the actual picture in the UI is so crisp following the recent update, so that’s really nice. Any updates would be splendid, we’re now over two months into the issue with no idea of when the app will even be usable. Thanks guys, I appreciate the effort that must go into this. 

robertb89

Hi all,

I also would like to advise i am having this issue. At first i thought it might be my system/server, but ran it on my main PC and still had the same issue. The media is direct play from the server. Everything is direct network cat6 cabled in so no connection issues. Have tried both stable and Beta version of Emby but have the same issue on both.

I also tried running the media on PLEX server and got no stuttering using PLEX (i don’t want to go to PLEX used it for testing purposes prefer Emby)

Is there any update on this issue?

Also if you need anything from me to help troubleshoot let me know.

MBSki

Same here and only on Xbox Series X. Xbox One X is fine. Series X is a complete disaster right now. Really looking forward to the new app @Luke😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 months later...
achalmers

Just adding that Emby is completely unusable with an Xbox Series X for me.  Frames stuttering so much it makes me sick.  This is with Local streaming, 10gbps NAS, 10gbps switches, 10gbps router & firewall, 10gbps Emby server, Xbox Series X hardwired (1gbps).  Samsung TV app works fine and plays smooth.  Different cables have been tried, etc the issue lies solely with the Xbox Series X which is a pity since it's such a powerful device.  I'm willing to do anything to help troubleshoot this issue.  Logs, packet captures, anything you want.  This is using MKV's in H.264 or H.265 (most of my stuff is H.264). 

It's so bad I almost bought a NVIDIA shield but now I read they are bombarded with advertising which is a no-go for me.  I may just go back to direct BDMV file streaming via a Zidoo or Dune like I used to do and use Emby for remote streaming only.  

Edit: this has been going on for many many months.  I just recently had to go back to using the Xbox Series X which is why I finally stopped back in to write but see others are having trouble as well. 

Edited by achalmers

Vividbit

I’m getting the same issue, it takes forever to first start the video, then it skips like mad and won’t play the video with audio only, or it skips.

Very sad…. I prefer Emby by a mile and wanted all my stuff consolidated.

MBSki

@Luke Can you please provide an update on the new app? Xbox users are really suffering. We need something that actually works.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

It's just about ready so stay tuned.

Excellent, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
sflimey

Is the 1.1.408.70 (3/24/22) update the “fixed” version because its just as bad as it ever was with shuttering 4k for me on both my xsx and xss. Both with local and remote content.

all other emby clients work without issue but i dont have earc apart from with the xsx. So really need to use that device for streaming.

Edited by sflimey
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
adavis219
On 9/7/2021 at 4:56 AM, SamuelWinsor said:

Encode is HEVC in an .mp4 container.

I seem to continue having issues with HEVC (h625) on all Xbox devices as well, I think it's an issue on the Xboxes themselves. Transcoding seems to help on my end, but Direct Play is where I encounter this issue. I've tried multiple different sources and encodes myself to no avail. My internet runs at a steady 750-800 Mbps and the files work flawlessly on every other device I've tested. I have no idea what seems to be the issue.

MBSki

@Luke On March 9th, the new Xbox app was coming soon. What's the status? Seems like we should be seeing a release any day now right?

FrostByte
On 7/30/2022 at 12:51 AM, adavis219 said:

I seem to continue having issues with HEVC (h625) on all Xbox devices as well, I think it's an issue on the Xboxes themselves. Transcoding seems to help on my end, but Direct Play is where I encounter this issue. I've tried multiple different sources and encodes myself to no avail. My internet runs at a steady 750-800 Mbps and the files work flawlessly on every other device I've tested. I have no idea what seems to be the issue.

On my XB1X I can direct play all 4K remuxes and get TrueHD Atmos and DTS:X to work.  The only thing I can't get is HDR to trigger on my TV and my TV doesn't support DV so can't speak for that.  If not for HDR though I could use my Xbox as a primary playback device.