What photo tagging software?

EZEd

For music I use MP3Tag to fix all of my metadata before importing files into Emby.  For Movies and TV I just let Emby built in scrapers do it.  But what about personal photos and family videos?  What external software tool(s) do you guys use to put tags on your photos and home-made videos?  Emby will tag files individually but I need something that will work in bulk at the file level.  I tried Microsoft Photo Gallery but it's clumsy and missed a few that still had to manually input on individual basis.  Same limitation with Windows Explorer... if I select too many files to tag Explorer stops responding and vomits.  I tried something called AnalogEXIF or the other and it was garbage.  It created a huge list of .bak files that was larger than the jpg files it was suppose to tag... and it took forever to finish its job.  What else is out there that works similar to MP3Tag but is for photo and video tagging?  Anybody?

On 8/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, Spaceboy said:

personally i'm using lightroom as part of my photo editing process. but not free

So lightroom is an editor not just a tagger? I probably don't need all the tools of an editor which is likely why it's a pay app. I have tried a few EXIF editors  but none have done what I want them to do yet. Most can change dates and file names but not add multiple tags to multiple files simultaneously.

Happy2Play

@EZEd Have you tried Windows itself?

Apply tags to pictures with windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Just tested and Emby read it.

@mbarylskiYou could tag all images in library this way assuming all same extension by search extension and select all.  If different extension then will have to do for each extension.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@mbarylskiYou could tag all images in library this way assuming all same extension by search extension and select all.  If different extension then will have to do for each extension.

Hmmmm, interesting idea, I'll check it out, thanks! Vic is looking at adding tagging to folder level, but this may be a good option as well.

On 8/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, Happy2Play said:

Yes see original post.  Windows explorer is good for a handful of files but chokes when it tries to tag many files simultaneously.  In that regard MS Photo Gallery is better but is still clumsy to use.  I'm still looking.  Irfanview claims to be able to do it but still doesn't perform as wanted or expected

Happy2Play
22 minutes ago, EZEd said:

Yes see original post.  Windows explorer is good for a handful of files but chokes when it tries to tag many files simultaneously.  In that regard MS Photo Gallery is better but is still clumsy to use.  I'm still looking.  Irfanview claims to be able to do it but still doesn't perform as wanted or expected

Not sure what you are calling many files but I tagged 2000 picture took about a minute which seems reasonable when your are writing to that many files.  But physically tagging is going to be a immense process depending on number of images.

• 1 year later...
byersgl

Is Premiere required to read the file tags? When I open the Metadata manager, I cannot see the tags from the file exit or xmp. Or do I need to do something more or differently?

On 1/2/2023 at 9:43 PM, byersgl said:

Is Premiere required to read the file tags? When I open the Metadata manager, I cannot see the tags from the file exit or xmp. Or do I need to do something more or differently?

Hi, no it is not. Please open a new topic and describe your issue in more detail. Thanks.