Solved: Tuners not being released.

clarkss12

clarkss12

I know this has been discussed before, but I am in the same situation again.

Last night I was testing a new device that supports the AC-4 audio codec to see if Emby can passthrough the audio using this device (it didn't).   Anyway, while testing, I either forgot to back out of the live TV stream, or else Emby did not release those HDHomeRun HEVC (4k) tuners.

Today, I noticed those tuners still in use, and the only way I can get Emby to release those tuners is by restarting the server.  But, if I have a recording taking place, I have to wait until the recording completes, so I don't have a messed up recording.  

Problem being, I set an alarm on my phone at the time the recordings ended.  When the alarm went off, I forgot what the alarm was far, damn, getting old sucks.  Anyway, when I realized what the alarm was for, Emby had started another hour recording, so I have to wait for that recording to end before I restart the server.

Now, that I have all that out of the way, is there a way to add an option to manually "kill" the tuner connection, so I don't have to reboot the server??  

Hope I am explaining what the problem and possible solution is.  

channels.jpg

release tuner.jpg

tuners in use.jpg

If you have the HDHomerun software installed

You can remote reboot it with

hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /sys/restart self

You can Unlock channels with

hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tunerX/lockkey force
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tunerX/channel none

In those examples, replace FFFFFFFF with your tuner’s DeviceID, and X with the tuner number (starting from 0) that you wish to force close.

clarkss12

Problem, what app do I use to insert those values???  I tied cmd, no luck there.,  I tried to understand what this link told, me, but still confused........

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomerun_config

I can't find this utility..  >>> The HDHomeRun can be scripted using the hdhomerun_config command line utility.

HDHomeRun.jpg

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

I can't even find a YouTube video on how to use the hdhomerun_config command line utility for Windows.

clarkss12

Thanks to Cayars for a manual solution, I got that command to restart the tuner.  I was trying to use the command that he showed, directly from the "root" directly.  I had to change directory to the directory that Signcarver (SiliconDust forum) showed me using this instruction >>

"so you would go to the command line (i.e. start -> run -> cmd)
cd to the directory the file is in (at least I find this easier though if you do it often you mat wish such to be in your path) (cd %ProgramFiles%\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun)
then type the command you wish".

It would be nice if Emby could have a "button" that would perform that function.  I am sure the next time I run into this issue, I will have forgotten how to do it using the command prompt and this command >> "hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /sys/restart self" that Cayars showed.

Sammy
6 hours ago, cayars said:

If you have the HDHomerun software installed

You can remote reboot it with

hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /sys/restart self

You can Unlock channels with

hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tunerX/lockkey force
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF set /tunerX/channel none

In those examples, replace FFFFFFFF with your tuner’s DeviceID, and X with the tuner number (starting from 0) that you wish to force close.

BTW, FFFFFFFF can also be the device's IP address.

justinrh

I hope I'm not missing something, but shouldn't Emby release the tuner?  Is there a problem that needs to be fished out?

• Like 1

clarkss12
1 hour ago, Sammy said:

For more information on using HDHomeRun_config.exe:

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomerun_config

I read, re-read and re-read that link, but the missing piece that I needed is NOT included in that link.

I tried the cmd command, but it did NOT work, because I had to do a (cd %ProgramFiles%\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun) to change to the SiliconDust directory.  I probably knew that before, but more than likely forgot...  

(cd %ProgramFiles%\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun)  instruction is NOT shown any where on that link.  Signcarver was my only link to that information.

BillOatman
12 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

I read, re-read and re-read that link, but the missing piece that I needed is NOT included in that link.

I tried the cmd command, but it did NOT work, because I had to do a (cd %ProgramFiles%\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun) to change to the SiliconDust directory.  I probably knew that before, but more than likely forgot...  

(cd %ProgramFiles%\SiliconDust\HDHomeRun)  instruction is NOT shown any where on that link.  Signcarver was my only link to that information.

You can just specify the executable location as well, at least in Windows.  I have a reset.bat file that is just one line

"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 1055A4F0 set /sys/restart self

The 1055A4F0 is the ID from the MyHdHomerun web page:

image.png.47806bf5e35e4de9f017e0bbda050f14.png

Edited by BillOatman

clarkss12
1 hour ago, justinrh said:

I hope I'm not missing something, but shouldn't Emby release the tuner?  Is there a problem that needs to be fished out?

Not sure how I got into this situation, but it has happened before.  

While trying to replicate the steps that caused the tuner to be locked up, the whole Emby app locked up.  My remote keypresses had no effect, the live stream just kept playing.  I had to keep depressing the "home" button on the remote to get back to the Android home screen.  Now the tuner is locked up.  

So, Not sure why the Emby app, itself locked up tighter than a drum......  

This is testing a Google Certified Android TV box, Mecool KM6 Deluxe.  So, it is an official Android device, just like the Shield, etc.

clarkss12
8 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

You can just specify the executable location as well, at least in Windows.  I have a reset.bat file that is just one line

"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 1055A4F0 set /sys/restart self

The 1055A4F0 is the ID from the MyHdHomerun web page:

image.png.47806bf5e35e4de9f017e0bbda050f14.png

Worked perfectly.  Created a bat file.

I was able to get one of my "4k" tuners locked up again, and this bat file reset the tuner...........................

Awesome, thank you.

I have two programs being recorded using a different tuner, so that tuner was not affected.  Only the "4k" tuner rebooted........

Just what the doctor ordered.

Sammy

And this is what you'd type into the cmd prompt:

c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" FFFFFFFF set /sys/restart self

to avoid having to cd in the cmd prompt window. Usually if I'm doing cmd line interaction with my tuners it is more than one command so I just cd to the HDHomeRun location. I suppose the page I linked isn't clear about this but it has all the available commands and switches listed.

You could also add the HDHomeRun folder location to your system path.  That would allow you to run the commands from anywhere.

clarkss12
1 hour ago, cayars said:

You could also add the HDHomeRun folder location to your system path.  That would allow you to run the commands from anywhere.

How would I do that?

• 5 months later...
dochartung

I can manually reboot my tuners but that does not address the issue with EMBY not releasing the tuners as it should. Has anyone figured this out?

Edited by dochartung
  • Like 1

CharlieMurphy
35 minutes ago, dochartung said:

I can manually reboot my tuners but that does not address the issue with EMBY not releasing the tuners as it should. Has anyone figured this out?

Nightly reboot to free the tuners. It has been recommended to not set a tuner limit in Emby.

A rework of the live TV function is in the works so hopefully things like this will be fixed. Here's where I got this info, starting with this post: https://emby.media/community/?app=core&module=system&controller=content&do=find&content_class=forums_Topic&content_id=102849&content_commentid=1081759

On 1/10/2022 at 1:39 PM, dochartung said:

This is something Luke has been addressing in the server code with each release getting better and better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
CharlieMurphy

Just as feedback. I was curious about how Roku would handle ATSC3 on my test server so I tried it out yesterday. I then played a local channel from HDHR that isn't ATSC3 and that did work. However, this morning my transcode drive was full because Emby server filled it. Server dashboard is NOT showing the Roku as being active, HDHR tuner is held open by Emby server.

First attempt in about 6 months to use Roku with Emby and within 12 hrs of trying it had filled my transcode drive and locked a tuner on the HDHR. Live TV on Roku is still something I'd suggest approaching with caution, especially if other services run on the same server.

Server version 4.7.0.22

The channel that locked in Emby has the following stats in the HDHR dashboard, so we aren't dealing with a weak signal for this bug:

Signal Strength    100%
Signal Quality    100%
Symbol Quality    100%

Edited by CharlieMurphy

18 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

I was curious about how Roku would handle ATSC3 on my test server so I tried it out yesterday

That playback attempt failed?

CharlieMurphy

It did the same as Android TV is doing with my setup currently. It stays on black screen and starts audio transcodes that fail. I've had different ffmpeg errors with different beta versions, but this is with the latest:

12:52:04.364 [hevc @ 0x1b9e080] Error parsing NAL unit #2.
12:52:04.364 [hevc @ 0x1b9e080] PPS id out of range: 0
    Last message repeated 1 times

I know ATSC3 is a work in progress though.

Since I had the Roku up and active I then played the mpeg2 broadcast of the same channel which still works fine. That's the channel the tuner was locked into that endlessly transcoded. That's what is concerning to me, is that anytime any user streams from Roku this happens eventually if a stream has any trouble. Servers are both Ubuntu and running Emby in Docker containers, one is beta and one is stable release.

I'm looking at the HDHR tuner and as I refresh while on that channel, signal strength is staying 100% but quality is taking intermittent hits from 100 down to 60 or so. I'll have to check my antenna and booster. That could explain what broke the stream because I notice some artifacts as the quality drops. I watch this channel from CCwGTV (Android TV) and haven't had this issue of locking a tuner and filling the transcode drive at all though. That is only happening when a Roku is in the mix now.

lastwraith
10 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

It did the same as Android TV is doing with my setup currently. It stays on black screen and starts audio transcodes that fail. I've had different ffmpeg errors with different beta versions, but this is with the latest:

12:52:04.364 [hevc @ 0x1b9e080] Error parsing NAL unit #2.
12:52:04.364 [hevc @ 0x1b9e080] PPS id out of range: 0
    Last message repeated 1 times

I know ATSC3 is a work in progress though.

Since I had the Roku up and active I then played the mpeg2 broadcast of the same channel which still works fine. That's the channel the tuner was locked into that endlessly transcoded. That's what is concerning to me, is that anytime any user streams from Roku this happens eventually if a stream has any trouble. Servers are both Ubuntu and running Emby in Docker containers, one is beta and one is stable release.

I'm looking at the HDHR tuner and as I refresh while on that channel, signal strength is staying 100% but quality is taking intermittent hits from 100 down to 60 or so. I'll have to check my antenna and booster. That could explain what broke the stream because I notice some artifacts as the quality drops. I watch this channel from CCwGTV (Android TV) and haven't had this issue of locking a tuner and filling the transcode drive at all though. That is only happening when a Roku is in the mix now.

You probably won't have that problem anytime soon using a CCwGTV vs a Roku. When using our Rokus, a locked tuner and filling transcode drive happened often enough that I investigated/tested multiple scripts. Honestly though, the CCwGTV is just a better Emby client overall. Considering you could get it for $15 after a Netflix credit.... I added them instead. I've never even had to check my transcode drive, let alone wake up to it being full. Plus so many other things behave better on the CCwGTV, it's well worth it just for Emby. 

Out of curiosity, any timetable on the new LiveTV setup? I love Emby but LiveTV is a bit of a weakness at the moment. It'd be great to be able to look forward to the new and improved creation with a date! 

18 hours ago, CharlieMurphy said:

That's the channel the tuner was locked into that endlessly transcoded.

Do you recall exactly how you stopped playback of that channel?