UI sounds keep turning back on

As777
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

As777

I have a problem with Theatre and the UI sounds keep coming back on. When I check the profile options the sounds are turned off. I have to turn them on and then off again for the UI to be quiet.

I am unsure if some act is returning the sounds or if its happening at random. At the moment I cannot find the cause.

As777
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, what version of the Theater app are you running?

Desktop installer, 3.0.15

As777

I have now noticed this seems to be server dependent and the sounds have to be configured on a per server basis. This kind of feels wrong to me though as UI sound toggle should be a global setting on the client. Thanks.

Hi, it is saved locally in the app, but it's stored with the userId, and of course, the userId will vary depending on the Emby Server that you're connecting to. So that's why the setting gets reset if you switch from one server to the next.

As777

Ah ok, i've been experimenting with different server setups and have been configuring servers left right and centre. This will sort itself out then once ive decided on a configuration i like.

Yea I mean we could make it an app setting that's not tied to the user, then it wouldn't get reset. It's just that tying it to the user allows for multiple users to have their own options.

On 8/4/2021 at 1:46 PM, Luke said:

Yea I mean we could make it an app setting that's not tied to the user, then it wouldn't get reset. It's just that tying it to the user allows for multiple users to have their own options.

This issue with the client interface sounds being restored is still a partial bug because the user profile shows interface sounds  as disabled, which is very confusing to the user. I have to toggle it "on" and then "off" again to remove the sounds when adding a new server.

Well it works on the same server, it's just that when signing into a new server you have to configure it again.

The client is telling me that the sounds are off regardless of what server I am logged into. This cannot be correct in any shape or form. From your perspective, if I log into another server and the interface sounds are on then the setting in the client should reflect this and be set to on , not off.

Personally, I dislike my client being controlled and setup differently just because I change to a new server. That makes no sense to me because It means I have to set up everything again every time I connect to a new server. It's not like I can even set this during my server setup so no clients experience interface sounds.

My client should decide how the client is configured. But ok, it is what it is and I just have to live with it. But it makes absolutely no sense that certain settings are no reflected in the client interface to show what is on and off. This should be fixed. Either a) the client must show the correct status or b) the client decides if the interface sounds are on or off regardless of if i change to a new server.

The different servers you connect to might have very different abilities and features.  One could be on a fast network and one a slow network and you may need to have different settings for each.

A server having different abilities and features and passing them onto the client is a completely different thing. 

While this problem with the sounds is annoying it is a bug that the client shows the interface sounds as off when they clearly can be heard. To turn them off again I have to change the sound setting to "on" and "off" again. This is not right, regardless of how the client works with multiple profiles.

Can I have a global profile for all my servers? I guess the problem is i am just creating a new user everytime i make a new server. I have each user connected to my connect id.

Edited by askog666

• Solution

Right yes if the settings screen is not showing the correct value then that needs to be looked at.

To answer your question. Most settings get saved on the emby server so that they can be shared across devices. So for those, the answer would be no because I think most users would prefer current behavior.

The sound setting is different though because you might actually want different values on different devices. It's just that the storage is associated with the user and that changes for each server.

But yes that would be more realistic to change to an app level setting that is independent of user. The downside is that if you actually have multiple people using the machine, then they won't be able to have separate values anymore.

Yes i think that's a reasonable standpoint. I've been getting ahead of myself making new servers left right and centre in Docker on different machines i've overlooked the fact I am not using the same user on each new instance and therefore each client is behaving as a new user. Hopefully, you can find and fix the settings bug not being updated to correctly show the current value.