How to auto-generate library image?

alekdavis

alekdavis

I just installed Emby on a Windows system and added several libraries. Somehow one of the libraries received an auto-generated a poster (or primary) image with a tile of several movie posters. It was very nice, but I have no idea why this happened only to one library. Is there a way to do it for all libraries (I can re-create them if needed).

Also, is there a way to generate poster images for videos that are not movies, TV series, etc? Like, say, home videos or custom tutorials? It generates a poster for each file (I assume from some random video file snapshot), but how do I get them for the series or seasons?

Thanks.

alekdavis

This might help... https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45914-my-media-posters-icons-now-with-instructions/ Itsnot cooperating with me at the moment though.

(generally Emby generates them automatically, but it can take its time about it).

I scanned through the two threads, but it looks like people eventually created their own custom images, and I'd like them auto-generated (which it obviously can, I just need to figure out what I need to do for it to happen).

arrbee99

I think it just takes its time. Never figured out if there's a way to speed it up - you could try restarting the server or forcing a re-scan of your media libraries, just not sure if it helps. Also, some it just doesn't do (for me) like Live TV or Trailers, which I did myself (when I could get it to work).

Not sure about generating posters for tutorials  / home movies. It generates its own image for individual home movies, but for actual poster shaped posters think you'd have to add your own. Maybe the same for tutorials.

Bit vague. Sorry. Am just a user not a dev.

alekdavis

I just rescanned one library and it immediately generated the image. Wouldn't do it for any library I tried after that no matter what I did. Weird.

Hi, sometimes initially it takes more than one library scan. What kind of libraries are still missing the auto-generated image?

alekdavis

Hi, sometimes initially it takes more than one library scan. What kind of libraries are still missing the auto-generated image?

Russian movies, kids' programs.

Happy2Play

As Luke mentioned it appears the second scan generates the Dymanic Library images.

alekdavis

As Luke mentioned it appears the second scan generates the Dymanic Library images.

I re-scanned them more than a couple of times. Nothing.

Happy2Play

What are the library content types? Does your media have metadata? 

alekdavis

Two libraries are movies, one is TV series. Yes, metadata looks fine (I had to identify a couple of movies manually, but once I specified IMDB ID, it pulled metadata correctly). I'm kind of suspicious of the language/country settings. The "good" libraries are set to English/United States, while the "bad" ones are Russian/Russia. Could it be the issue?

• 2 months later...
arrbee99

Do you have any library images at all ? I guess if you have media in the libraries and its had metadata generated for them it should come up with images after a day or two.

For some of mine though I just gave up. I found where the library images that did work were stored and copied those into the ones that were blank, then after a while Emby updated the originals so they ended up being different after a while.

My libraries are full of posters/images and everything, but the 4-poster library images never appear. It's been weeks.

arrbee99

No idea why non of them are working. Could upload some of mine if you're desperate but it obviously won't fix the original problem...

Lots of media. TV shows and movies, all posters and metadata were discovered and added automatically just as they should. It's just the main library images that won't generate no matter how many times I refresh.

Scanned all libraries, log attached.

How old is this installation? What installation package did you use? If you do a complete uninstallation and purge, and then install using our official instructions:

https://emby.media/download

Then I think it should work just fine. Thanks.

I've got it running in a Centos7 VM on a Windows machine in a docker container. I was using the linuxserver one, I switched to the embyserver one and all is well. That linuxserver one is maybe redundant and should be removed...?

Thanks, Luke.