MKV files on Sony Bravia

ultraroi

FlorisRobbemont

The change worked! It's now correctly streaming when the TV cannot use direct play.

With the DCA codec added to MKV it's now also correctly recognizing a lot more movies.

I'm currently working on getting photos to work (they aren't recognized at all).

I'll commit my changes to the profile when I'm done testing.

what do you mean recognizing mkv? they still aren't showing up?

FlorisRobbemont

The ones that needed transcoding weren't showing up on the TV. This was because of 2 problems:

- Faulty profile (they didn't need transcoding)

- Your fix for the ORG_PN

Now they're all showing. Transcoding seems to work as well.

However:

- No pictures yet

- No artwork (for movies and/or shows) (I don't know if the TV even supports this)

FlorisRobbemont

It also seems that the Sony TV has a framerate limit for 1080p (30fps). I don't think we can detect this at the moment?

Might be something to build in the future (I saw on some forums that Plex has difficulty detecting this). 

This guy has done some great work for the Plex profile: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/151850-dlna-profile-sony-bravia-tv-2013-kdl32w650a/

FlorisRobbemont

Also, is there a way to create a Mono build from Visual Studio? I want to test these changes on my NAS

Cool! Can this be setup in the profile?

I've fixed photos :) Needed to embed art in Didl, and don't limit.

Also removed the max width/height for pictures as the TV seems to be able to handle larger then 1920.

Pull request: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/pull/1096

Thanks. Fyi, in the future you can just change the .cs profile. I can then dump them all to xml when there are changes.

Also, the bitrate should still be limited, not because of the TV, but due to user's networks. The intent of the profile is just to worry about the device so perhaps that's not the best place to incorporate that, but i'll have to think about that.

For dca, what if the tv is not hooked up to a surround receiver? can it decode it? that's why it's left out.

FlorisRobbemont

You are correct. When I disabled the sound receiver the Sony couldn't play movies with DTS.

Could it be possible to recognize this on the server side? (I don't know if the device is transmitting its capabilities?).

Another possible solution would be to have the ability to couple a profile to a device (in the devices menu). That way a user can create a specific profile for a specific device.

I know it's currently possible using the FriendlyName Regex... but allowing this from the GUI would be awesome (just copy the profile with a new specific FriendlyName).

You could even ship profiles out-of-the-box that are disabled by default, and are only enabled when connected to a specific device. This would allow for a better fine-tuning of all the devices.

Looking at the code this shouldn't be a large thing to build into the backend.... I don't know how much work this is on the front-end? (not really a front-end guy ;))

You are correct. When I disabled the sound receiver the Sony couldn't play movies with DTS.

Could it be possible to recognize this on the server side? (I don't know if the device is transmitting its capabilities?).

Another possible solution would be to have the ability to couple a profile to a device (in the devices menu). That way a user can create a specific profile for a specific device.

I know it's currently possible using the FriendlyName Regex... but allowing this from the GUI would be awesome (just copy the profile with a new specific FriendlyName).

You could even ship profiles out-of-the-box that are disabled by default, and are only enabled when connected to a specific device. This would allow for a better fine-tuning of all the devices.

Looking at the code this shouldn't be a large thing to build into the backend.... I don't know how much work this is on the front-end? (not really a front-end guy ;))

Maybe we can detect the audio by querying the device's ProtocolInfo.

• 2 months later...
khodges747

Thanks to ultraroi for his XML file.

I used it as the basis for my own TV model, and now I can see all the artwork that was formerly missing.

Well done!

• 1 year later...

The latest beta of Emby Server, 3.1.125, has numerous fixes for Sony Blu ray players from years 2013-2016. The changes will also be in the next stable release of Emby Server. Since I have a device for testing I am now able to test it fully and with the changes I've made everything is now playing perfectly.

It's possible that some of these improvements can be applied to older players or sony bravia tv's, but I do not have those devices available to test with, so for that I'll need to rely on community help. Enjoy.