Server/Frontend - Ability to group movie versions together and choose which to play

pr3dict

pr3dict

This issue comes up a lot.

The ability to group movies together in the folder structures by:

• Resolution (1080p,720p)
  • Different cuts (Theater,directors,extended,unrated, etc)
  • Different language?

Once they are grouped together, it shows 1 movie while searching but when you push the play button it pops open a chooser letting you choose which version you would like to play....

As of right now the system auto chooses between resolutions if there are multiples BUT it would ultimately be better to give that control to the user. That would solve for a bunch of issues that we may not have thought of yet. You may even want to add an option in the metadata manager to let the server auto choose if you don't want to have the manual process....

• Like 18

Koleckai Silvestri

Would love this. Currently have Blade Runner in four different directories. Would be nice to combine them and use the same metadata but still be able to choose the cut. Would be useful for other movies as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
ginjaninja

+1, how do people see it working?..

Perhaps

automated grouping of child variations into virtual parent movies by identical tmdb id..a parent movie object created in the appdata like collections do/are...

with each child receiving a default  child ID (%tmdbid%/001, %tmdbid%/002, etc)..of ID/2dor3d/playlengthinmins/resolution/year (this set automatically identifies alot of movie versions) eg 001/2D/90/720....a list of which to appear when play is selected as suggested previously

Allow the user to override the default designation with text field of their choosing. eg change "001/2D/90/720" into "Theatrical"

Each child movie to maintain its own status as movie with its own metadata..resume time/year/watched etc...for purposes of metadata/library management..

After all....If the local media agent/naming convention designates a set of files on the file system as a movie..then it is a movie as much as the other variation or a completely different movie...

Virtual Parent movie object to inherit metadata from 1st child initially/maintain its own metadata ongoing..synchronise ongoing with 1st child metadata unless that metadata on virtual object metadata is manually changed (and the link to 1st child thus broken).

set watched on virtual master if any children are watched/otherwise unwatched

functions which operate on parent movies rather than child variations such as trakt plugin/dynamic media folder image creators ..need to amend their lookup/api call so as to not return the children/variations..

Clients receiving virtual parent objects of this type need updating to know what to do with them (present child list on play)..in the short term, until the clients are updated to understand...the server could ensure parent objects present themselves as collections ie objects with children clients already have methods for?

Edited by ginjaninja

Koleckai Silvestri

I would see it working similarly to the current Collection System. However you only have the metadata for the single IMDB entry. You enter the movie details and it displays the available options: Theatrical, International, Director's Cut, Extended Cut, 20th Anniversary, Etc... 

Within the metadata you would need an attribute to define the "default" cut. This would be the version played if you just hit play without entering the details screen.

System organization could be through metadata/XML where you can define the cut and the associated file. Or it could be through folder layout. Put a film in the %movie%/cuts/director folder and it becomes the director's cut. Etc... XML would be the most flexible but probably involve more development. Directories are probably easier to implement but you lose flexibility.

• Like 1

MndWrp

My idea is more like: you would need a 'default' base version for sure (i guess theatrical is isually the first) and within the detail page where is the trailers and extras tabs, you could have one named something like 'versions' or 'cuts' and have them listed there.

• 9 months later...
docbones

Would love to see this feature!   I had been using Plex for the last year, and am trying Emby to see if it does better on trans-coding & subtitles.     So far the big item I miss, is this.  :)

Koleckai Silvestri

Already there for movies

Not really...

I have three different cuts of Blade Runner, all of which are 1080p. I want them under one entry. They aren't really a collection so that isn't the proper thing to use and the last time I tried, it didn't work properly. If I put all three movies in the same folder, it just lets me play the first cut it finds. It doesn't let me switch between the Theatrical, Director's or Final Cuts. All three different versions of the same movie. I have to keep them in three separate folders so each is playable.

What the system allows for now is to store a 1080p, 720p, and 480p version of the same exact movie in the same folder. Then it sends an appropriate version to the playback device.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

That's correct. It's designed for alternative resolutions to optimize delivery, it's not really intended to be a grouping for theatrical, director's editions, etc.

Now that being said, if you want to make some suggestions then we could expand on the feature to accommodate that, as long as we find a way to avoid breaking the original goal.

Deathsquirrel

Collections does work for this, though it's manual to set it up.  I use that for director's cuts and the like.  Some supported tag in the file name similar to the multi-res support would be cool.

Yea i'm guessing what he wants though is one movie record which encapsulates them all, followed by the ability to manually choose which one to play at play time.

Right now the options are three separate movies, using movie extras or using movie collections.

Koleckai Silvestri

The ability to store different cuts in the same folder is how I expected the functionality to work when it was first discussed. Limiting it to simply different resolutions didn't fill any need of mine. I realize it was the easier way to implement it and some people probably find a use for the feature. Even then, there is no way that I can see in any client to specifically choose the standard DVD edition of 'Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' vs. the standard Bluray edition of 'Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers' vs. the extended Bluray edition of 'Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers'

Collections are clunky and hard to implement since the multi-select changes (which never works for me in Chrome). Auto-Boxset helps with this but the automatic assignment of an ugly popcorn image to non-TMDB collections has turned me off of them and I don't use custom collections as much anymore. I've experimented with Movie Extras but never found a way to actually get them to show up or play in client interfaces. In the long run, I just started storing the little mini-movie extras in their own folders so they get the proper metadata. 

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

At the moment i place multiple versions on an extras folder and they get shown as special features, would be nice to  have a cuts folder, or if they are on the same folder pickup a tag in the name such as [Extended], and using the untag one or theathrical release as the default choice unless otherwise specified on the metadata manager. Also just like the play trailer button have a play cut button that gives you a choice

• 9 months later...
strugglez

+1 for this! This would be pretty epic if this was implemented. I have the Alien Quadrilogy that has the Theatrical and Directors Cut. Is there a nice manual way to implement this at all?

• 3 months later...
mediacowboy

Has there been any progress on this feature request? I have several movies where I have Directors cut, Extended, Unrated, etc. As I am in the process of switching to a new server I would greatly like this feature.

Edited by mediacowboy

• 7 months later...
leprinco

I think it works except for media stubs

I have in the movie folder a file called La Belle et la Bête (1991) - dvd.disc

Emby recognizes the two versions, shows a dropdown but the entry for the DVD is empty and no details are displayed on the right when this entry is selected

Edited by leprinco

Yea haven't tested using a stub as one of the versions so right now I'm not even sure how that will affect things.

• 1 year later...