Jump to content

Unable to connect using Emby on VegaOS


Recommended Posts

Wonderstuf
Posted

I just bought a new Firestick and Emby doesn't connect to my server. It does connect via Silk. 

Forgive the text below but I was running my troubleshooting via ChatGPT and ask it to summarise what we tested and the environment:

"

I’m having a problem connecting the Emby app on a new Amazon Fire TV Stick HD to my local Emby Server. I’ve done quite a bit of troubleshooting and it now appears that the Fire TV itself can reach the server, but the Emby app cannot.

One potentially important detail is that this is a 2026 Fire TV Stick HD, model AFTCL001, running Vega OS 1.1, rather than the older Android-based Fire OS. Amazon’s device specifications confirm AFTCL001 as a Vega OS device.

Setup

Server

  • Emby Server 4.10.1.0 on Windows

  • Server LAN address: 192.168.1.60

  • HTTP port: 8096

  • Windows network profile: Private

Fire TV

  • Fire TV Stick HD (2026)

  • Model: AFTCL001

  • Vega OS 1.1

  • LAN address when tested: 192.168.1.170

  • Gateway: 192.168.1.1

  • Same 192.168.1.x subnet as the Emby server

The Emby app reports:

“Unable to Reach Server. We’re unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again.”

I have tried manually connecting to:

http://192.168.1.60:8096

with the same result.

Troubleshooting carried out

Initially the Fire TV was connected by Ethernet. I disconnected Ethernet and tested it using my normal home Wi-Fi as well.

The Emby app fails to connect on both Ethernet and Wi-Fi, so this does not appear to be specific to the wired/powerline connection.

I checked the network configuration. The server and Fire TV are on the same subnet and use the same gateway.

I changed the Windows network profile from Public to Private. Windows then prompted me to allow Emby through the firewall, which I allowed.

I also checked Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security. Emby has TCP and UDP inbound rules enabled, and I made sure the TCP rule applies to the Private profile.

The Emby Android app on my phone connects successfully over the same home network. The server log shows normal connections and playback from that device, so Emby Server is accepting LAN connections.

Fire TV browser test

I then opened Amazon Silk on the same Fire TV and entered:

http://192.168.1.60:8096

This successfully reached the Emby web interface and presented the server login page.

The Emby Server log confirms these requests came from the Fire TV at 192.168.1.170. At 22:50 and 22:52 the server received authentication requests from the Fire TV running Silk. The requests reached Emby normally and returned a 401 because an incorrect password was entered during that particular test.

This therefore appears to establish that:

Fire TV → LAN → Windows PC → TCP 8096 → Emby Server is working.

No incoming request from the Emby app

This seems to be the most significant part.

At approximately 23:07 on 6 October, I attempted to connect again using the Emby app on the Fire TV and received “Unable to Reach Server”.

There is no corresponding incoming request from the Fire TV in the Emby Server log at that time.

This is noticeably different from the Silk browser test. When Silk on the same Fire TV accesses exactly the same 192.168.1.60:8096 address, its requests immediately appear in the server log.

So it appears that the failure occurs before the Emby app establishes a connection with Emby Server, rather than Emby Server receiving and rejecting the connection.

Obviously the server log can only establish that no incoming request reached the server. It cannot tell me whether the Fire TV app attempted an outgoing connection which then failed locally or somewhere before reaching the server.

Could Vega OS be significant?

Having investigated the device further, I discovered that AFTCL001 is one of Amazon’s newer Vega OS devices rather than an Android/Fire OS device.

I also found previous discussions here about Emby on Vega OS, including references to the existing Fire TV/Android app being provided on Vega devices through Amazon’s translation/cloud-stream technology while a Vega-specific Emby app is being developed.

Could this therefore be a Vega OS / translated-app local-network-access issue?

It would seem consistent with what I’m seeing: Silk running on the Fire TV can access the local Emby server, whereas the Emby app apparently cannot establish the connection at all.

Is there a Fire TV/Vega client-side log that would show the app’s attempted outgoing connection and why it is failing?

Remote access

For completeness, I also tested remote access from my phone with Wi-Fi disabled and the phone using 5G. Remote access currently fails as well.

I realise this may be a separate port-forwarding/remote-access issue, because the Fire TV and server are on the same LAN and the Fire TV can demonstrably reach the server through Silk at 192.168.1.60:8096.

Where I've got to

At this point I believe I've ruled out:

  • Emby Server not running

  • Incorrect LAN server address/port

  • The Fire TV being unable to reach the PC

  • General TCP 8096 connectivity between the Fire TV and server

  • Windows blocking all LAN access to Emby

  • An Ethernet/powerline-specific problem, as the app also fails over Wi-Fi

The key distinction is:

Silk browser on Fire TV → reaches Emby Server

Emby app on Fire TV → no request appears to reach Emby Server

I’ve attached the Emby Server log covering these tests. The failed Emby app connection attempt was at approximately 23:07 on 6 October.

Any suggestions for what to check next, particularly regarding Vega OS/local network access, or which client-side logs would be useful?"

Hope someone can help.

J

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...