Vesemir7 1 Posted September 23 Posted September 23 Hello folks, long time Synology NAS installed base, old DS-418 play unit, completely up-to-date, DSM-wise. Also Emby up to date with premiere from a few years ago, I was trying to fix an HTTPS issue fiddling with the DSM reverse proxy to fully publish Emby to the internet to share it with some friends and I think I made it worse, now I can only use Emby local within my LAN. At least before the changes, I could use it via the app on my android phone, but not anymore now. How can I start to ask for help?
Vesemir7 1 Posted September 23 Author Posted September 23 Because before the edits, I could access it at least with Emby connect when I was using 5g on my phone, now not anymore. Only wifi over LAN. Regardless of the before, I would like to repoint everything to a config where I can connect to it via HTTPS with a single pointer over LAN or over 5g, so that I can also present the web link to friends over the Internet (with custom logins of course)
Vesemir7 1 Posted Thursday at 09:00 PM Author Posted Thursday at 09:00 PM Before I go into full troubleshooting mode again, I'd like to understand which is the best config to aim for, in my case, if you don't mind, guys. I use Emby almost exclusively and even when I do remotely over other wifi or 5g, it's always from my phone with the Emby app for android, occasionally from my laptop. Generally the pointer is quickconnect though, not a public exposed port. Since occasionally I would like to be able to just invite a friend or two to watch a specific content that I normally put in a dedicated sub-library and for which I create separate logins, I can't count for them to use any quick connect of course, it would have to be - at best my knowledge - an exposed service, ideally over SSL, going though the router and straight into the Emby instance installed on the NAS. What would be the best config to achieve it?If I could avoid messing too much with the router it'd be best, as in the event I change provider I'd have to factor that in. Cheers
TMCsw 302 Posted Thursday at 09:53 PM Posted Thursday at 09:53 PM If you don't want to open a port on your router, then you should look at "tailscale" or "NordVPN Meshnet," but your users(clients) will have to install and configure this also. Otherwise: https://emby.media/community/topic/134638-how-to-guide-emby-connect-remote-access-and-basic-port-forwarding/ But it would be better and more secure to use a reverse proxy (Cady, Nginx, etc)
Vesemir7 1 Posted Friday at 08:54 AM Author Posted Friday at 08:54 AM It looks like my Synology NAS with DSM should be able to use a reverse proxy config, that's what I was trying to do... although it looks like it'll require me to open a port on the router
TMCsw 302 Posted Saturday at 12:29 AM Posted Saturday at 12:29 AM 15 hours ago, Vesemir7 said: although it looks like it'll require me to open a port on the router That is correct. But any, remote access comes with a bit of risk; and anyone who thinks allowing others to use a VPN/tunnel to your server is safer is sadly mistaken. Whatever way you go, you should definitely have it use TLS 1.2 or greater (ssl died over a decade ago)
Luke 43183 Posted Saturday at 04:06 AM Posted Saturday at 04:06 AM 19 hours ago, Vesemir7 said: It looks like my Synology NAS with DSM should be able to use a reverse proxy config, that's what I was trying to do... although it looks like it'll require me to open a port on the router Please keep us posted on how this goes. Thanks.,
Blazejos 8 Posted 46 minutes ago Posted 46 minutes ago On 23/09/2026 at 20:51, Vesemir7 said: Hello folks, long time Synology NAS installed base, old DS-418 play unit, completely up-to-date, DSM-wise. Also Emby up to date with premiere from a few years ago, I was trying to fix an HTTPS issue fiddling with the DSM reverse proxy to fully publish Emby to the internet to share it with some friends and I think I made it worse, now I can only use Emby local within my LAN. At least before the changes, I could use it via the app on my android phone, but not anymore now. How can I start to ask for help? Hi Vesemir7, I was long time using Emby (also Premiere) on DSM, then I’ve moved it and other more intense compute works to external server with mapped storage from DSM - highly reccomended. I’m also using reverse proxy and LE certificate renewal via DSM; works great, both locally and remotely. DSM reverse proxy is a bit tricky, in some cases require custom edits on top of redirect rule. In none of my network setup cases Emby was at fault, their web server is pretty solid and reliable. Most likely something is off between DSM and your router firewall / port redirect rules. My advice is debug step by step with Claude AI - free version is enough to ask questions and debug logs. Works for me every time I have an issue, like recently with automatic certificate renewal. Good luck!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now