HawkXP71 124 Posted September 8 Posted September 8 Can the algorithm that increments the PlayCount be described? I am seeing some very inaccurate numbers, but I cant for the life of me determine what triggers the increment. Its not marking it played. That much I know. But its also not "watched from intro end to credit start" Is it watching for more than 1 minute? 30 seconds? 10 minutes? TIA
HawkXP71 124 Posted September 9 Author Posted September 9 Just now, Luke said: Hi, it's as soon as you start playing. I havent seen that to be the case. Is there a minimum number of seconds?
Luke 43175 Posted September 9 Posted September 9 it's as soon as the playing app sends their report to the server that they've started.
HawkXP71 124 Posted September 9 Author Posted September 9 3 hours ago, Luke said: it's as soon as the playing app sends their report to the server that they've started. Ok, so there can be some variability. Makes sense. What about the "Playback Percentage" and location (I forget the exact wording of the fields. The same? As soon as the app sends back "stopped" ?
ebr 16833 Posted September 9 Posted September 9 1 hour ago, Luke said: That I think is all throughout and at the end. Correct. Progress is kept up to date as you play. I can 100% confirm this works because I've had the power go out while playing something and, when I bring it back up, it resumes at the last progress report (within 10 seconds of when it went down). 2
HawkXP71 124 Posted September 10 Author Posted September 10 21 hours ago, ebr said: Correct. Progress is kept up to date as you play. I can 100% confirm this works because I've had the power go out while playing something and, when I bring it back up, it resumes at the last progress report (within 10 seconds of when it went down). Understood. The problem I am seeing, if you play, stop (player/tv gets turned off), play a couple of times, the play count increases each time.
Luke 43175 Posted September 10 Posted September 10 30 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said: Understood. The problem I am seeing, if you play, stop (player/tv gets turned off), play a couple of times, the play count increases each time. What do you think should happen?
HawkXP71 124 Posted September 10 Author Posted September 10 1 minute ago, Luke said: What do you think should happen? It would required the server tracking more than it does today. Note, Im only concerned with video, but my suggestion works for audio as well. Ideally, what i would like to see, is the server track actual time spent watching the video and "what was watched". Ie, not just play count, but 32minutes starting at 1:03 in the video. then 15 minutes starting at 33:03 etc. Having an option of consider a video played every time play is hit (todays logic) or when X% of the video has been watched. With an option of 100% is from post intro to credits rolling (using the same information as marking it played). Does that make sense? Im working on a plugin using the usage reporting plugin's playback tracker as a starting point. Scott 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now