User Account settings for Emby user

OafPokie

OafPokie

Hello,

Like many others, apparently, I upgraded my NAS to DSM7 without checking here for what to do with Emby prior to upgrading.  Needless to say I made a mess of things and have to start over with my Emby install.  My media library is not huge so it's not that big a deal for me.

Emby is now installed and running, and I am in the process of re-connecting my content.

The install did NOT create a user account on the NAS, so I created "embysrv" manually.  My question is, what permissions and other settings do I need to apply to this user account?

Thank you for any assistance!

FrostByte

Do NOT create a user or use that user you made :)

You have to click on the permissions tab for the shares and the click the down arrow to change it to "System internal user"  and that's where you give read/write permissions for each Emby library share

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OafPokie

@FrostByte Yes, I already did that for the internal "Emby" user - that allowed me to locate and use the shared folders while setting up Emby.

I'm talking about the NAS user (typically "embysrv" I believe) that a client (like the Emby Roku app) uses to connect to my NAS.

FrostByte

Hmm...maybe the Roku works differently.  I never created any other account on my NAS for emby clients.  Emby server uses the "emby" internal system user for backend access to the shares for all Emby clients/users.  I'm using a Shield, Samsung TV as clients.

OafPokie

@FrostByte Hmm, well, I guess I could be wrong about this.  I will delete the "embysrv" NAS account, and see what happens when I attempt to connect via the Roku Emby app.  Worst case is it doesn't work and I take it from there.

Thanks for your assistance!  I'll post an update later on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OafPokie said:

Hello,

Like many others, apparently, I upgraded my NAS to DSM7 without checking here for what to do with Emby prior to upgrading.  Needless to say I made a mess of things and have to start over with my Emby install.  My media library is not huge so it's not that big a deal for me.

It's not too late to migrate if you want to as long as you haven't deleted the old install location files.

That thread will have both directions and a video you can watch if needed to help you with the migration.

OafPokie

Thank you, @cayars - I already tried that and it didn't work.  Emby kept acting like a brand new install.  I started fresh and 'm not regretting it.  It's giving me the chance to easily do some needed re-organizing along the way.

As for the Roku app - it worked like a charm on the first try!

• Like 2