Remote access not limited by users

Johnsonsa93

Johnsonsa93

So I've got my emby server up and running on my DS920+ but have run into a small with user permissions.

On my dashboard in emby from my admin account I've set up users so only one should be able to access the server remotely. Also none of them should be visible from the login screen except that one as well. 

Unfortunately these settings don't seem to be working and when I access my server remotely I can see all users and they can ask access the server remotely. 

Any idea what's going on? 

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Happy2Play

What you are describing sound like your Remote connection is being seen as Local connection.

Johnsonsa93

That dose seem to be the case as I created a test user and hid it on LAN connections and it was hidden.

I'll do my best in describing my network set up but I am no networking genius so excuse me if I give a rudimentary explanation. Possibly would be better if I answered questions about the set up.

Emby server running via Synology DS 920+ via a docker container. Synology is connected to an apple router via Ethernet cable. Synology is given a dedicated IP via the router and ports are forwarded manually through the router.

I have My emby server running on a non standard port. But for some reason the WAN connection still shows the standard port as the one it would be connected to. Could this be the issue?

Screen shot attached

Screenshot_20210712-130506__01.jpg

7139 is the inside LAN port but 8096 is the remote port based on your pic above.

Are you using any type of proxy server?

Johnsonsa93

Not using a proxy. I wanted to get the remote connection working before setting up a reverse proxy to add a bit of security.

Johnsonsa93

A lot of what I have read for setup guides suggest changing the port number from the default one of you're going to open it up to the internet. Security through obscurity.

I tried changing the remote access port and LAN port to the same one and forwarding the port through my ringer router but emby still sees remote connections as if they're coming from the LAN for some reason...

20 hours ago, Johnsonsa93 said:

A lot of what I have read for setup guides suggest changing the port number from the default one of you're going to open it up to the internet. Security through obscurity.

I tried changing the remote access port and LAN port to the same one and forwarding the port through my ringer router but emby still sees remote connections as if they're coming from the LAN for some reason...

Not really when people do port scanning.:)  If you open a port it can be found rather easily regard of the port number.

I personally just remap WAN:80 to Emby:8096 and WAN:443 to Emby:8920 so that both non and SSL ports are the traditional ports a browser will use.  To me that just makes it simpler for family member to pop in my domain and use my Emby system.

Johnsonsa93

I didn't work it out the way described above but I followed this tutorial and set up a reverse proxy.

https://mariushosting.com/synology-how-to-allow-emby-to-work-over-an-https-connection/

Seems to be recognizing the connection as remote now as it makes me manually type in a user name and when I attempt to log into a user with remote connection disabled it says it's invalid.