Google tv 4k Steam on a 1080p tv glitches

crembz

crembz

Hi there,

Sorry of this isn't the right place for this topic.

I have a Google tv running the emby client. I have a server running a 12 core processor and vaapi so I know this isn't a transcoding issue.

My Google tv is connected to an older 1080p via a soundbar. The Google tv is set to 1080p/50. When playing any 4k file, I've noticed the first 20 seconds are seriously messed up, glitching and restarting several times until it finally smoothes out but skipping frames. At this point I can pause and unpause and the video will play back fine after that.

What I noticed is that the server is direct playing to the Chromecast at the start of playback, and the Chromecast is glitching hard. At some point it falls back to transcoding, which is the point where it smoothes out but skips frames.

My best guess is that the server detected the Google tv as 4k capable and direct plays. The Google tv doesn't have the grunt to downscale and thus the glitching.

Had anyone else experienced this? Is there a workaround or a way to force the server to transcode to the player?

Edited by crembz

Sammy

My ShieldTV does this occasionally too. I usually go to apps, clear the cache and force stop Emby and start over and all is fine afterwards.

Hi.  Please send a log from the app right from the playback OSD just after it smooths out.  Instructions are in the link above.

Thanks.

crembz

I uploaded the log as described in that post.

Log should be at 8:20am user crembz.

Is that all I need to do?

Edited by crembz

1 hour ago, crembz said:

I uploaded the log as described in that post.

Log should be at 8:20am user crembz.

Is that all I need to do?

Hi.  We did not get the log.  Did you get a message on screen that said it sent?

crembz

I'm not entirely sure.

I just sent another log, the confirmation came up on the screen.

Same user crembz and the time is 5:55pm UTC-5

Cheers

Hi.  Assuming I found your correct log (user was "alex") it looks like something about how the item is encoded.  The decoder keeps throwing an error until we transcode it.

crembz

Sorry yes that is the username.

Correct it looks like it's jamming and skipping for about 30s while trying to direct play until it stops trying and begins transcoding. A workaround is to force transcoding by selecting a low bitrate. But this is happening with practically every 4k HDR file I have. Considering the Google tv/Chromecast is setup to output 1080p/50 I would have thought the expected behaviour would be for the server to transcode to 1080p. It seems to me that the server is direct playing and the Google tv doesn't have the grunt to downscale to 1080p?

An alternate transcoding media system doesn't have the same issue with the same files.

3 hours ago, crembz said:

and the Google tv doesn't have the grunt to downscale to 1080p?

That is not the issue.  The device should downscale just fine.  There is some other problem with this media or the device.  Is all the media from the same source?

crembz

No the media sources differ, only common thing is they are all 4k HDR. I tested the files on another media library platform on the same client and files played back fine on that.

I'd be happy to simply force encoding at the original bitrate but that doesn't seem to be an option.

• 2 weeks later...
crembz

I can confirm after further testing ... al 4k HDR10 files I have seem to have the same issue. Short of converting them and having two movies side by side I not sure what else I can do. forcing a bitrate of 15mbps plays the files back flawlessly. I still think the server is direct playing the file but the google TV stick gets stuck on the HDR10.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, crembz said:

I'd be happy to simply force encoding at the original bitrate but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Using the "Playback Correction" menu option during playback - TWICE - should do just that.  If you do that, does it play well?

crembz

I'll give it a try, the Google tv becomes quite unresponsive while the glitching is occurring. I've had it reset itself a couple of times after becoming completely unresponsive.

CBers
11 minutes ago, crembz said:

I'll give it a try, the Google tv becomes quite unresponsive while the glitching is occurring. I've had it reset itself a couple of times after becoming completely unresponsive.

I have had similar issues issue with my Chromecast with Google TV, where I find it very finicky with 4K content, but works fine with 1080 content. 

I also have it connected via the official Google Ethernet adapter, but it only supports 100Mbps, whereas my Shields are gigabit. 

So I have put glitches down to the connectivity, rather than issues with content, as my Shields don't have any issues. 

• 10 months later...
crembz

No I never did. My tv blew up recently and I replaced it with a 4k tv with built in Chromecast ... 0 issue now.

From what I could tell, emby was trying to stream the 4k content to the Chromecast which did not have enough grunt to transcode to 1080p. After about a minute of very bad stuttering you could see emby fail back to transcoding and everything was smooth after that.

Here's the thing though, I only recall starting to see this when hdr10 started becoming the standard. Prior to that regular 4k seemed to behave fine. I'm wondering whether it's an issue with hdr time mapping.

• Like 1