Android TV

Brad Bedwell

fantaxp7

I'll certainly wait until reviews come out and I am very curious to see what the HDCP/live tv setup looks like.

gthrift

Why is there no ethernet? 

Also, interesting choice going with an x86 processor.  Is there not an issue running apps made for ARM cpus?

techywarrior

Aren't most/all Android apps written in Java? If so then it won't matter as the JVM handles the actual CPU opcode translation. On the other hand, haven't they spent a lot of time perfecting the compilers for ARM. How much time has Google spent optimizing their compilers for x86?

fantaxp7

Why is there no ethernet? 

Also, interesting choice going with an x86 processor.  Is there not an issue running apps made for ARM cpus?

kinda weird. I am sure there will be many more Android TV devices to choose from sooner than later.

gthrift

Aren't most/all Android apps written in Java? If so then it won't matter as the JVM handles the actual CPU opcode translation. On the other hand, haven't they spent a lot of time perfecting the compilers for ARM. How much time has Google spent optimizing their compilers for x86?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/02/arm_test_results_attack_intel/

After a quick search it looks like Android will translate the code on the fly to work on x86 but there is a performance hit.  I guess it depends on how much of the app is written using older versions of the android sdk vs new versions.  

christoph86

I'm guessing they are using Intel to keep price lower. Tegra k1 may not be able to keep it under 100 bucks. I won't be getting this device but am very interested to see what other devices come out and how this develops.

gthrift

So a ADT-1 showed up on my doorstep today while I was at work.  I signed up on a whim and didn't expect to get one.  I cancelled my Nexus Player order for now and will play with this.  After a little research, it looks like it will get Android 5.0 but I'm still not clear if it will have full functionality.  

h0I5ehE.jpg

So far the only thing I've really done with it is plug it up, got my Logitech Harmony remote connected using the Fire TV bluetooth profile, and connected via adb.  I'll play with it a little more but I'm not sure how much I'll do with it.  It might serve redshirt a little better.

Edited by gthrift