Android TV app crashes on Nvidia Shield upon attempting to play 4K hevc / aac files.

Meltx103

On 7/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, justinrh said:

What does this mean?  How do you do that?  Is it just using a player to access the files directly (i.e., bypass Emby)?

Instead, please try the buffer size change.  Thanks.

Meltx103
On 7/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please try changing your buffer size instead?

Setting buffer size to small results in the file being played, but the interface lags and as soon as I tried to press the back button to return to the interface the app reloads (like it did with the default buffer size) and the Shield freezes once more.

vdatanet
13 minutes ago, Meltx103 said:

Setting buffer size to small results in the file being played, but the interface lags and as soon as I tried to press the back button to return to the interface the app reloads (like it did with the default buffer size) and the Shield freezes once more.

This is the same thing that happens to me. With the small buffer playback is correct but the Shield interface becomes irresponsive like using medium buffer.

justinrh
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Instead, please try the buffer size change.  Thanks.

@ebr I don't have any app issues.  I'm just trying to learn some things, thus the question.

Heuer

I did a factory reset on the Shield tube and then set the buffer size to small. Now works perfectly on all HEVC material and the interface is very responsive. With hindsight I should have tried clearing the Emby cache/data or doing an Emby reinstall but like any Android device a full reset at least once a year sems to bring performance improvements. Worth a go as reloading a few apps is a small price to pay for not being driven mad!

• Like 2

vdatanet
5 minutes ago, Heuer said:

I did a factory reset on the Shield tube and then set the buffer size to small. Now works perfectly on all HEVC material and the interface is very responsive. With hindsight I should have tried clearing the Emby cache/data or doing an Emby reinstall but like any Android device a full reset at least once a year sems to bring performance improvements. Worth a go as reloading a few apps is a small price to pay for not being driven mad!

I will take my Shield Tube out of the drawer and try it again, I would say I did it and I was not successful. I will try again and if doesn't work, again towards the drawer.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet
10 hours ago, Heuer said:

I tried clearing the Emby cache, no improvement. But after a factory reset and setting buffer to small, it works perfectly. 

• Thanks 2

Heuer

Thanks for confirming the full reset works and the Shield Tube does not deserve its poor reputation for HEVC files. I wonder what settings Emby changes on the Shield that can only be normalised by a reset?

vdatanet
30 minutes ago, Heuer said:

Thanks for confirming the full reset works and the Shield Tube does not deserve its poor reputation for HEVC files. I wonder what settings Emby changes on the Shield that can only be normalised by a reset?

It must be some relatively recent change, in the past (it must have done about 6 months ago), I did the reset several times without success.

rbjtech

I expect they are OS level/Nvidia changes that were slipped in on the quiet - thus needing a factory reset to clear out the old code.

Other than the change in buffer size, Emby for Android TV has always worked day 1 for the Pro with 4K Remux files - so I don't believe emby have changed anything for the 'Tube' ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heuer said:

I wonder what settings Emby changes on the Shield that can only be normalised by a reset?

None.

vdatanet

The improvement is noticeable, but after a more continuous use, when the bitrate is above 40 Mbps, playback is still smooth but the Shield presents a bit of lag in responding to actions of the remote control. The higher the bitrate, the more lag. 

It works better and I can sell it with a clear conscience that I am not deceiving the buyer.

rbjtech
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

It works better and I can sell it with a clear conscience that I am not deceiving the buyer.

You clearly don't work for Nvidia then ... 😉

• Haha 2