How to change the view of your media content on the main Emby front page on the Nvidia Shield?

Gaz

I'm using the Emby app on my Nvidia Shield and wanted to ask if it was possible to change the view the app uses to display your media on the main front title page?

For instance, my TV shows all use the image 'folder.jpg' to display the shows coverart where as my movies will use the 'thumb.jpg' image!

Is there an option somewhere to chose what image each section (TV, Movies etc) uses to display your content?

On my Windows Emby Server all content has the view set to 'primary' but the Emby Shield app seems to be using it's own random choice as to whether it displays a folder or thumb view!

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks in advance :)

GrimReaper

Is your movies library Movie type library or Mixed-content? 

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, now this has me confused as when I set this up years ago I know I chose 'MOVIES' as the type of content and yet checking Emby Server it tells me that the movies folder is classed as 'Mixed-Content' as are many others!

'My movies' library is just pointing to a location on my PC which has individual folders named after the movie which then only has the movie and artwork placed inside each of them.

I'm starting to fear that I might need to rebuild all these libraries to fix this?

Edited by Gaz

GrimReaper

Just go to Dashboard>Library tab, and under "My movies" thumb you will see library type and path underneath. 

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

movies folder is classed as 'Mixed-Content'

Therein lies the reason your movies are showing thumbs instead of posters in the AndroidTV app. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah quite a few of them are showing as 'Mixed Content'!! 😬

Any idea please on what I need to do!

Big thanks btw, appreciate your help! :)

Untitled.jpg

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm starting to fear that I might need to rebuild all these libraries to fix this?

Don't rebulid anything yet, IIRC @Happy2Play has an alternative to change library type.

I don't understand how it's even happened! I've had these libraries set up for many, many years and always selected 'Movies' or 'TV' as choice of type so I have no idea how they've been changed to 'Mixed Content'!

I've hundreds of movies in each library so if there's anything I can do to avoid removing and rebuilding them it would be a great help indeed!!

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Yeah quite a few of them are showing as 'Mixed Content'!! 😬

Any idea please on what I need to do!

Big thanks btw, appreciate your help! :)

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Don't rebulid anything yet, IIRC @Happy2Play has an alternative to change library type.

Actually @cayarsprovided all the steps.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98712-how-to-play-entire-album/&tab=comments#comment-1030763

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GrimReaper

Thanks @Happy2Play. Seeing the increased frequency of this same issue occurring, maybe that @cayars's post should be pinned and/or KB updated for easier reference?

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't understand how it's even happened! I've had these libraries set up for many, many years and always selected 'Movies' or 'TV' as choice of type so I have no idea how they've been changed to 'Mixed Content'!

I've hundreds of movies in each library so if there's anything I can do to avoid removing and rebuilding them it would be a great help indeed!!

For some reason some setups are doing this and Luke has not figured out why.  My guess would be these OLD setups have additional files in the library folder (but just a guess) as I have not experienced it yet.

image.png.e8f55fdfdcf8ed91fc45745fa4013716.png

vs the new

image.png.52710c61139ea599b704ae29c30cc6f2.png

The server config backup plugin use to do the same when doing a restore but was fixed.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your help with this guys.

I checked the info above and noticed that all the library folders that are showing as being 'Mixed Content' DO NOT have the <ContentType>*******</ContentType> line in their options.xml file!

Do I just need to manually add that line into the options.xml in each affected library to sort this problem out?

Huge thanks once again!

GrimReaper
On 6/5/2021 at 4:50 PM, cayars said:

Note: if the content line is missing, you can add it but take care in doing so.

Yup.

• Thanks 1

This problem must have something to do with old setups as @Happy2Playsuggests, the last library I created was a '4K' folder for my 4K movies and there's only a single file in that library folder - 'options.xml'

All my other library folders that are at least 5 years old have at least half a dozen files inside each of them and a couple of folders too!

Thought I'd post a picture of my 'Movies' libray folder just in case it helps determine if there's a file that could be causing this behaviour!

Thanks again for your help guys, greatly appreciate it - I've edited the options.xml files on all my affected library folders and I'm going to restart the Emby server to see if it's helped!

Will report back if there's any issues.

Oh and big thanks to @cayars for the very useful tutorial!

My library folders were incidently located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default where as @cayars listed the location his were located at as being C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\root\default

Thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone else trying to locate them on their PC!

Untitled.png

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

You should be able to just delete the movies.collection, movies1.mblink, folder.xml as they are obsolete and self contained in the option.xml now.  So a guess it this leftover garbage may be causing issues.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My library folders were incidently located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default where as @cayars listed the location his were located at as being C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\root\default

This just shows how old your install is as it predates the move to programdata folder.  I still have a installs like this and one with MediaBrowser-Server.

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, Gaz said:

Thanks for your help with this guys.

I checked the info above and noticed that all the library folders that are showing as being 'Mixed Content' DO NOT have the <ContentType>*******</ContentType> line in their options.xml file!

Do I just need to manually add that line into the options.xml in each affected library to sort this problem out?

Huge thanks once again!

3 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:
On 6/5/2021 at 7:50 AM, cayars said:

Note: if the content line is missing, you can add it but take care in doing so.

Yup.

Also note you may have to reverify all the library configs after making this change.