Dual Language Subtitles

AshranPewter

AshranPewter

Probably a small use case but dual subtitles are really useful for me.

Is this something that could be added into the android app in an upcoming release?

The situations it's useful in are:

• Two people with different native languages
  • Learning a new language easier

If I could select two languages it would be easiest as combining subtitle files might become much harder.

Hi.  Is there any media player that does this?  How would you place them?  You could end up covering the entire screen with subtitles.

That was my thought as well.  I don't know of any player that does this.

FrostByte

I've seen single file subtitles that have 2 languages with one at the top and one at the bottom. 

39 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I've seen single file subtitles that have 2 languages with one at the top and one at the bottom. 

That would be the proper way to accomplish this. 

Besides that way the only way I can think of doing this would be to burn one sub in the video then use the other to overlay it during playback which would give you both. Would just need to be careful to burn one in at the top.

AshranPewter

Sorry late reply a bit busy lately.
Yes, IINA (Mac OS only?) and VLC (4 beta) both do it. Though they are of course desktop and don't have to deal with streaming in the backend which might not support multiple subtitles at the moment.

You can give lots of options. One of my favorite is having them just right on top of each other at the bottom. If you adjust the size usually they can fit easily.

Attached file shows it in action, but on a big tv it's not as bad and if you could adjust the size it would be just fine. It seems like it would be annoying but for many shows it's much nicer especially when you're in a multi-language house.

C4A33F6F-C176-4C7C-9C3C-AD2BAD848577.png

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
flintt
On 7/9/2021 at 9:07 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Is there any media player that does this?  How would you place them?  You could end up covering the entire screen with subtitles.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:59 PM, cayars said:

That was my thought as well.  I don't know of any player that does this.

potplayer can do this

image.thumb.png.d40d3b3165174bf17931ae7535c9a1d8.png

That's interesting. I'm not sure I've ever tried potplayer so I'll have to check it out.

Thinking about it more, I could see something like this being really helpful to multi-language households. My next door neighbors for example are from Mexico but their kids were born and raised in the US. A foreign film for them watched as a family would probably be easier for all if both Spanish and English subs were used.  Is something like that the general use use case?

• Agree 1

thepilot

My wife is chinese, I'm french, and we watch movies in VO (whatever it is, most of the time english). 

For the moment we put the subtitles in english (useful for both of us), but if there was a option to put them both in chinese and english at the same time, we would definitively do that!

Also, in Brussels, in cinema, movies are projected in VO, with neederland/french subtitles, so it's pretty common for me.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
AshranPewter
On 5/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, thepilot said:

My wife is chinese, I'm french, and we watch movies in VO (whatever it is, most of the time english). 

For the moment we put the subtitles in english (useful for both of us), but if there was a option to put them both in chinese and english at the same time, we would definitively do that!

Also, in Brussels, in cinema, movies are projected in VO, with neederland/french subtitles, so it's pretty common for me.

@thepilotbit old of a post, considering mine. But, you can use https://github.com/ChineseSubFinder/ChineseSubFinder for your usecase. It's what I use.

Unfortunately I'm having a bit of an issue here with time offsets sometimes with the ass files that are downloaded

doesn't work on android TV. Which I'm trying to get fixed.