I built new Emby Server, how do I move my license?

Bingie

Bingie

Hi,

I built a new Emby Server, how do I move my license?

I'm currently on the month to month on the old box, will probably upgrade to lifetime on new box, but one thing at a time, still testing, would like to test hardware transcode on the new box, need premiere activated on it.

Thanks!

Bingie

Also, I tried to link new box to my email address, but I took too long responding to the email it sent me, says invalid.  Need to reset that too...

Hi.  Yes, simply paste your key into the new server.  However, be sure the new server is configured correctly to access the internet.

• Like 1

Bingie

Thanks, I figured I could just copy n paste, but wanted to check first, make sure I didn't blow up anything.

And........... hot damn!  hardware transcoding works w00t cpu about 20% now (was 100) on Celeron J4125, and gpu about 65% Intel UHD 600.

We only have 2 tv's, so will have to test and see.

Bingie

Okay transcoding to 2 tv's (a really big 120fps movie) cpu is about 30% gpu is 100% but both tv's playing smoothly.

I think maybe I should convert that movie file to a lower fps :P

Q-Droid

Enable throttling for transcoding if you haven't already. Otherwise it transcodes the full movie/episode to the end, non-stop instead of doing buffer chunks at a time.

• Like 1

Bingie

I did not no that!

Thank you very much for letting me know, I was concerned the GPU was pegged with just 2 transcode movies.  I don't know anything about the throttling, can you recommend a setting?  Our tv's are 1024p so all videos are also 1024p, but the bitrate is pretty high on some of them, so Emby has to throttle them down I guess.  Maybe I should convert the fat movies to a lower bitrate, but I'm still learning, no idea what a good bitrate would be without too much loss.

Thanks

Happy2Play

Dashboard-Transcode

Enable throttling
Emby will dynamically adjust transcoding speed based in order to reduce CPU utilization.

Depends on how fast the media can be processed by the system whether throttling can happen.  If the system can process faster then playback then throttle pause can happen instead of transcoding the entire video all at once.  So with throttling is should stay about 120 seconds ahead of playback.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Q-Droid

Throttling is a checkbox in the transcoding settings page, on or off. If enabled it transcodes just enough to keep the playback buffer full and "rests" in between.

If you're not having problems then don't worry too much about bitrates until you get a better feel for what your new server can handle, then make adjustments. If system resources or bandwidth are an issue you'll find out sooner or later.

Now, there was a known problem with playback on Chromecast that did not throttle even when enabled but that was a few minor releases ago and possibly fixed by now. Others can confirm.

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 2

Bingie

Thanks, throttling seems to be working, GPU only busy maybe 20% of the time now, and CPU fairly idle, less than 10%.  It's not hitting the HD much either now.

I feel alot better about it now.  This is cool stuff :)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the help.