Dolby Atmos not recognized From Synology DS218 to LG TV

Gfpiccolo

Gfpiccolo

hello, i'm trying to reproduce MKV video with atmos audio, if i reproduce the file directly from the LG 55C8 TV player, appear error: Audio file not supported.

if i reproduce the video from emby, the audio is not ATMOS and EMBY make a transcode but i hear the audio

i don't know why. what i have to do for playing correctly Atmos audio from emby?

My tv is an OLED LG 55C8 2018 model, connected with HDMI cable to my soundbar LG SP9YA

Thank you

Edited by Gfpiccolo

Hi, currently LG is not making Atmos support available for all most third party apps so the audio will need to be converted.

Gfpiccolo

how could i be able to play video from my synology with TrueHD Atmos audio from emby on my LG tv?

i have a LG soundbar: SP9YA, connected in the ARC port of my tv

thank you

Edited by Gfpiccolo

SamES
8 hours ago, Gfpiccolo said:

how could i be able to play video from my synology with TrueHD Atmos audio from emby on my LG tv?

i have a LG soundbar: SP9YA, connected in the ARC port of my tv

thank you

The short answer is that you can't.  As you found when you tried to play the file directly, the audio is not supported by the TV.  Unfortunately the only way we can play it is by converting it to a compatible format (which is not TrueHD/ATMOS).

Non-compressed audio streams such as TrueHD and ATMOS require very high bandwidth, more than is available via the audio return channel (ARC) on HDMI.  This means it is just not even technically possible (for any app) to get uncompressed audio from you TV to the receiver.  Enhanced ARC (eARC) does support higher bitrates, but is only available on very recent TV's and generally apps have not had any success at making use of this due to limited support/availability from LG for app support.

The only real way to make this work is to buy an nVidia Shield Pro (not the non-pro version) and install Emby on it, with HDMI outputs to the TV and the soundbar.  In this way you are using the HDMI bandwidth and not the smaller ARC bandwidth.

See this knowledgebase article for more info

Why does the Emby App for my LG TV not play the Dolby Atmos TrueHD Audio without Transcoding? : Emby

Gfpiccolo

Ah ok, thank you for reply. Is possibile also with fire stick 4k? Or only with Nvidia shield?

So, also with new model of oled lg, with eARC port there is a possibility that truehd doesn't reprodiced?

Thank you

SamES

I'm not familiar with Fire stick, but I'd suggest having a read of the Emby forum Android TV / Fire TV - Emby Community

It will depend on the app support, device support and whether you can pass through your soundbar.

As far as I'm aware, none of the current oled lg TV's with eARC allow apps to play TrueHD audio.

Gfpiccolo
8 minutes ago, SamES said:

I'm not familiar with Fire stick, but I'd suggest having a read of the Emby forum Android TV / Fire TV - Emby Community

It will depend on the app support, device support and whether you can pass through your soundbar.

As far as I'm aware, none of the current oled lg TV's with eARC allow apps to play TrueHD audio.

oh ok.

thank's man