Remove Resolution in Quality Selection

trinected

trinected

Currently, the Quality Selection doesn't mean anything about the resolution. This information is confusing because the server decides what resolution is streamed.
F.e. in tests:
- 4K - 60 Mbps: streams the video in 1080p instead of 4K
- 1080p - 6 Mbps: streams the video in 720p instead of 1080p

I'd wish that the resolution will be removed from any "Quality Selection". Just print the bandwidth.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:24 PM, cayars said:

That setting as a whole is more about the bandwidth limit then the resolution.

Auto by default tries to use a low bandwidth setting most of the time if it can't direct play. IMHO this could use a bit of love to better adjust so for now I'd say you are best off tweaking this setting once for each client to get the bandwidth usage that fits the environment.

• Agree 1

Hi, I've thought that would be a better way to do this as well. :)

GrimReaper

While I do in agree with the idea, I reckon it is presented in a current form for average user reference - judging by my significant other, she does understand and can recognize what a resolution is, but she has absolutely no concept of bitrate or bandwidth, and I'm not sure simply listing bandwidth selections would mean anything to her; while it can be misleading sometimes, you might as well have high resolution/low bitrate items (HEVC comes to mind) in which cases displayed resolution selections will actually correspond to delivered ones. So I guess it's at least some sort of guidance (hit-or-miss) vs. no guidance at all?

The resolution is the Maximum Height allowed. It isn't going to be the resolution used per say. You are giving the application your ceiling. Same with the bitrate. It isn't going to always use 80 Mbit/second when you choose 80. That is the maximum. Combined you have the maximum resolution allowed with the maximum bitrate which are set with the quality setting.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, speechles said:

The resolution is the Maximum Height allowed. It isn't going to be the resolution used per say. You are giving the application your ceiling. Same with the bitrate. It isn't going to always use 80 Mbit/second when you choose 80. That is the maximum. Combined you have the maximum resolution allowed with the maximum bitrate which are set with the quality setting.

Erm... no. Until you drop bitrate below item bitrate, it'll play native resolution regardless of the resolution displayed on the selection. Example: 720p 576 kbps item plays 720p on 480p-1 Mbps and 480p-720 kbps quality selections; only when 480p-420 kbps is selected it lowers the resolution.

Which application is that? It is supposed to send the resolution as the MaxHeight and maybe that application isn't doing this and just sending bitrate.

GrimReaper
Just now, speechles said:

Which application is that? It is supposed to send the resolution as the MaxHeight and maybe that application isn't doing this and just sending bitrate.

Web App on Edge; Same just now tested on Chrome; Only difference is Edge direct plays HEVC so it plays 720p on both 480p-1 Mbps and 480p-720 kbps, while Chrome transcodes to 984 kbps, so it plays 720p on 480p-1 Mbps and 480p on 480p-720 kbps.

@Luke Is MaxHeight disregarded? I remember the conversation we had long ago when Roku included these MaxHeight/Resolution values and we followed the web app implicitly with exactly which bitrates go with each resolution. It was followed to a T. Has this changed?

I know that during direct play if the item is below the bitrate the users chosen resolution is moot since it can direct play. The bitrate and device capability resolution is the decider if it can direct play not the users chosen resolution of quality.

But if the bitrate is above and transcoding occurs isn't it supposed to follow MaxHeight (ie the users chosen resolution)?

Edited by speechles