Changing order of collections in media library

bobert

I've just upgraded to MB3 from MB2.  I know this was really simple in 2, I just can't seem to find the controls for it.  I'm assuming it's on the server end, because that's the only place that I'm finding library controls.

I need to change the order in which the media folders/collections are displayed.  Right now, they're alphabetical, and I can't find any way to rearrange them.  So, for example, even though my preferred order might be something like:

New

Movies

TV

They show up as:

Movies

New

TV

For right now, I've had to resort to putting a number in front of each name to put them in the order I want.  This is a really ugly hack, and I know I'm just missing something somewhere.  This thread from several months ago actually refers to an edit button, which I'm not seeing anywhere:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1295-non-admin-users-and-editing-collection-order/

Any ideas what I'm missing?  It's probably right in front of my face.

blade005

bobert,

A recent update to the MediaBrowser server has added the ability to SORT your folder views without having to append with numbers.

On the Homepage of the WebUI select the User Icon in the top right corner of the page and select MY PREFERENCES.  Scroll down on this page and you will see a section titled VIEW ORDER. You can use the UP and DOWN arrows to sort your folders into the view you desire.  You may need to be an ADMIN user to use this.

I am not sure if all Clients are using this just yet. I think I needed to keep the numbers in the sort field of folders for MBC to still sort the way I wished.

Edited by blade005

Yeah, right now for the most consistency across all clients you will probably need to use the number technique but it can be in the Sort Name field instead of the real name so you will never actually see it.

Go to the Metadata Manager from the main hamburger menu and select each of your media folders and change their sort name and Save.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  I had looked at that, but missed an important setting.  I hadn't unchecked all of the boxes next to the folder names under "My Views", which prevented them from being shown in the "View Order" section.  It's a little counterintuitive to have to go to a different screen than the library config screen to make this change, but I'll take it.  I guess if you were using multiple profiles, it would make more sense than it does for us.

And you're right - the MBC client doesn't use this yet.  Looks like we'll have to wait for the update before removing those numbers.  Oh well.  Thanks for the help.

Yeah, right now for the most consistency across all clients you will probably need to use the number technique but it can be in the Sort Name field instead of the real name so you will never actually see it.

Go to the Metadata Manager from the main hamburger menu and select each of your media folders and change their sort name and Save.

Oh, that's perfect.  I had no idea you could do that.  I don't care if I have to make the sort names 100 characters long, as long as I don't have to see them.  This is excellent.  Thanks.