How can I control video playback with keyboard?

justin4758

justin4758

Hello, I moved from Jellyfin. I am using Emby with satisfaction.

However, I want to know how to control the video with the keyboard when it is playing.

I found that the left and right arrow shortcuts only work when on-screen screen is not showing. 

Is there any way to make it work whenever on-screen is showing or not like YouTube?

This was default in Jellyfin, but it's quite uncomfortable because it can't be done.

but left and right arrow is only working when on-screen display is not showing

Hi, are you still seeing this? It seems to be working just fine in my testing, even with the OSD closed.

11 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you still seeing this? It seems to be working just fine in my testing, even with the OSD closed.

He said it ONLY worked when the OSD was closed - which makes sense to me depending on exactly what he means by "working".

Justin - if the OSD is visible, then the left and right arrow keys are going to control navigation on that OSD.  Are you expecting them to still skip in the media?

justin4758
2 hours ago, ebr said:

He said it ONLY worked when the OSD was closed - which makes sense to me depending on exactly what he means by "working".

Justin - if the OSD is visible, then the left and right arrow keys are going to control navigation on that OSD.  Are you expecting them to still skip in the media?

yes.

I want to skip in the media instead of controling navigation on OSD

but shift + arrow does not work.

Edited by justin4758

1 minute ago, justin4758 said:

yes.

I want to skip media instead of controling navigation on OSD

Okay, that is not going to work with those keys because they should control navigation when there is something on screen to navigate.

justin4758
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, that is not going to work with those keys because they should control navigation when there is something on screen to navigate.

Then, could you add a setting to choose whether to move in the OSD or skip in the media?

1 hour ago, justin4758 said:

Then, could you add a setting to choose whether to move in the OSD or skip in the media?

But when people enable that setting, they'll just complain that the OSD doens't work because they can't cycle through the buttons. What do we do then?

We'll look at shift-left/right and see what happened there. Thanks.