Does Emby server support music libraries?

fitzbew

fitzbew

I realize the title to this is a bit silly, but I have updated to 4.6.4.0 on my Synology NAS and music support seems to be basically gone.
Yes I can access my music but the experience is just awful.
Do not get me wrong, I have been using Emby for years and I like it a lot, and I am also a software engineer so I get it when customers are not happy.
Anyways...I am basically dead in the water as it stands now.
I have a large music library that is in a folder structure of artist/album/songs and they are tagged.
I will try and explain what I am experiencing.

First off I will start with the web interface.
If I access the library with folder view which I prefer the experience is a bit better. I will see something like this

image.png.947b1ecd697353939add2bf11efd9a6c.png

Now if I click into a folder it is pretty good also...I actually see album covers

image.thumb.png.82922047c2e334500126ac0df692c21a.png

If I click on an album it is not so bad but I do not see an "album view"...no name of the album or year or anything like that...I see thisimage.thumb.png.098ca139cb6430d5b4ca264542aa93a9.png

If I try to sort the albums be release date it is simply an alphabetical sort and remember...these are all properly tagged.

Now if I view the library by Artist (which I do not prefer) it gets worse...
It can take a minute or more for really anything to show up and I am presented with first random songs at the top (why???). These actually have the proper album art. Below that I get albums (why would this not be the first thing listed and can I change that?), but no album art at all just the same picture for every single one and they are not even all from the same library

image.thumb.png.c270db91c7634e68fda793282508dc6b.png

If I click see all I get something like this...no album art at all, but clearly it is there somewhere
image.thumb.png.92196ca061f3c5ec7f522a96db2a098d.png

If I click on an album I get what I would call an "album view" which is what I want but now I have no album art

image.png.4a9506faf87082dcbfbc46b1757fe87f.png

So with the web interface I seem to have 2 options...see album art but no album view or see album view but have no album art. This is the case for the whole library.

Now I also have a modern Denon receiver which supports DLNA and gapless flac playback.
Emby's DLNA supports is completely unusable at all.
If I view my library by folder then every single album is only allowed to be playable with the songs in alphabetical order...who would want to listen to an album with the songs not in the order they appear on the album, but instead in alphabetical order by title. Can I change this???

Screenshot_20210703-231729_HEOS.thumb.jpg.87c06374c4cdedf78d453e6f1049e37b.jpg

If I try artist mode and then click through I get the tracks in the proper order but they are all duplicated so I have to listen to every track twice, but in the correct order

Screenshot_20210703-231901_HEOS.thumb.jpg.8caa29cbfbfa259969bea75ed5bc91ca.jpg

So basically DLNA support does not exist in any reasonable way which is a huge bummer.
None of these things were the case before I upgraded to 4.6.4.
I realize making software is work...and I do the same thing. And I do not want to sounds like an ass, but at this point the music support no longer seems to exist in any way that could be considered OK. The saddest part is that all this behavior is part of an "upgrade"

Anyways...maybe I could be filled in on why I am experiencing this and what I should expect.

It does still seem to be good for video which I also use.

I appreciate all the work and everything.
Thanks

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by fitzbew
  • Agree 1

fitzbew

I would love if anyone would be willing to work with me on getting these things figured out.
As I mentioned I am software engineer so I am totally capable of debugging, capturing network communication (in the DLNA case) or anything else to help.
I should have mentioned I have
- Synology NAS 1618
- Firefox Browser
- Denon X6400H (DLNA client)

I wonder if I would have better luck with a complete fresh install? I hate to do that as it takes a long time to scan everything, but I am willing to try anything to get the ability to enjoy my music library back after this upgrade

Again...thanks!

Happy2Play

To many things in one topic but most come back to Embedded track information and server change as folder view is that nothing else.  A representation for your folder structure and content.  All other views are made from embedded metadata.

13 hours ago, fitzbew said:

If I try to sort the albums be release date it is simply an alphabetical sort and remember...these are all properly tagged.

Would need specific example as my album tracks have the same release date so that sorting by release date is useless.

Now with all it image being the same there would have to be a linking issue, all tab info except folder are generated from embedded tags so there has to be a breakdown on your setup as I know I can not reproduce what your are seeing.  But to many different things being discussed.

DLNA would need its own discussion.  But folder view should play the order you have sorted as there is no track order unless file names are in track order.

If I try artist mode and then click through I get the tracks in the proper order but they are all duplicated so I have to listen to every track twice, but in the correct order

Do you have multiple copies of the same track?  Since embedded track info is used, it is possible for multiple same named/id tracks to be grouped.  But normally they will have the same track numbers.  You would have to select edit metadata on each track and verify their paths.

DLNA is its own thing and does not get as much love as the server, to me it is becoming obsolete (just my opinion though).

None of these things were the case before I upgraded to 4.6.4.

Music was rewritten and was not entirely tag driven before 4.6. But there are may topics just like yours that come back to your tracks are not tagged as well as you thought they were.

The saddest part is that all this behavior is part of an "upgrade"

Yep a upgrade the make most music libraries better.  But will point out tagging defects.

fitzbew

Hey I appreciate the response, but it seems like you are saying all of these issues are " a breakdown on your setup" which I find to be an interesting response.

Perhaps you could try and explain why the album art for the exact same album and tracks will show in folder mode, but not album mode? What breakdown in my setup would explain this?

You then go on to say that sorting by release date is useless to you so I guess that is not something I should want to do???

As for having multiple copies of the same tracks...I have a very large music collection with a lot of live music. Of course I have tracks with the same name...these are different shows and it would not explain having each track listed twice...I may have 100 copies of that track from different disks and different shows.

What is the explanation that an album is only allowed to be played in folder mode in alphabetical song order?

I should point out that I did try out plex with the exact same library and I have none of these DLNA issues. You may call DLNA obsolete as an explanation, but I have a nice stereo system with a nice Denon receiver that can play flac files gapless (remember I have a large live music collection) and so to be told listening to music on my stereo is obsolete seems like a strange response.

Anyways I appreciate the response, but I just did not find it to be helpful at all. If I have files that are tagged with artist, track name and number, album, album art, year disk number what more are you suggesting I do?

Edited by fitzbew

roaku

@fitzbew

They can help solve your issue if you provide the specific example(s) they requested.

They can't if you don't.

Happy2Play

No one has the exact same setup/tagged media so it is impossible to say why.  One can guess as we do not have your media or setup.

6 minutes ago, fitzbew said:

You then go on to say that sorting by release date is useless to you so I guess that is not something I should want to do???

Is your release date not the exact same date per track?  Provide specific examples as all my album tracks have the album release date ie the same so it provides no true value to sort if they are the same correct?

7 minutes ago, fitzbew said:

As for having multiple copies of the same tracks...I have a very large music collection with a lot of live music. Of course I have tracks with the same name...these are different shows and it would not explain having each track listed twice...I may have 100 copies of that track from different disks and different shows.

Without specific track identifiers ie different MBZids same name album/tracks will be merged, path is irrelevant to Emby right now as it is embedded metadata driven.

9 minutes ago, fitzbew said:

What is the explanation that an album is only allowed to be played in folder mode in alphabetical song order?

Not true unless it is a specific client issue as my playback of play all in a folder honors sort order in the web client (browser).

I can't comment on DLNA as I stopped using it years ago.

12 minutes ago, fitzbew said:

Anyways I appreciate the response, but I just did not find it to be helpful at all. If I have files that are tagged with artist, track name and number, album, album art, year disk number what more are you suggesting I do?

We would need specific examples show us all of this information.  Unless all of these issues are specific to DLNA I do not see this behavior on any of my servers with Music libraries.

fitzbew

I totally get that and I tried to provide screen shots of every single issue I mentioned.
I guess I am not sure how to prove that in the examples I showed the tracks themselves are properly tagged.

fitzbew

I will try recreating my libraries. I did let Emby rescan the music libraries after the upgrade as mentioned in the release notes. This took well over 24 hours so I was hoping to avoid doing it again. I did just notice that if I go to a particular album and tell emby to  replace all metadata then it read the tags properly so something must have gone wrong in the initial scan which would explain a lot. it is interesting that the folder view is seeing the embedded art work (album cover), but the album view is not...it is the same file. I am guessing a rescan might fix all this.

I can't comment on DLNA as I stopped using it years ago.

OK...fair enough, perhaps someone else will get a chance to comment on that.
DLNA is important to me because my Denon receiver is a DLNA client and it can play back live concerts in flac format without any gaps between tracks...I have a very large live music library.
As a test I used plex with the same exact library and the same exact client and the behavior was as expected...track listed and plaid in track number order and no duplication of tracks.
I am more than willing to try and provide more information here...debug logs or whatever.

Sorry if I am sounding difficult and I do appreciate the response and the software.

fitzbew

For one of the DLNA issues maybe this will help explain what I am seeing.
Below is a screen shot of a live album accessed via folder mode using plex as the DLNA server. The tracks are listed in the correct playing order
Screenshot_20210704-160136_HEOS.thumb.jpg.635ec006e36ff4b048ddf57b40bf5cc6.jpg

The screenshot below is the exact same DLNA client and the exact same album accessed via folder mode, but using Emby as the DLNA server. The tracks are listed in alphabetical order and so the playback is all messed up
Screenshot_20210704-160229_HEOS.thumb.jpg.03f284713ebfa4a420f575cd2c73ec49.jpg

Happy2Play

As for the image that shows for multiple albums it is hard to say as that image is a Backdrop/Fanart for the Artist.  So there is a image issue at some level of your collection.

artist.thumb.jpg.9db8e73a561716f7d0bd6817cdce1a2f.jpg

image.thumb.png.ec86182b1f29bc3d68edeed09630eed7.png

As for folder order using sort by filename gives me track order for playback but can only guess DLNA should use the same order but it may be something this is not done in DLNA as is does not get as much support or updating.

The web client plays the order I select in sort by in folder view.

order.thumb.jpg.4f50ab13d9434ce4a93af0b61f4f8478.jpg

Happy2Play

Can you go over Genesis folder structure and what images are at each folder level.

Also what is the Music library folder structure setting set to?

Edited by Happy2Play

fitzbew

I have 9 different libraries.
I just deleted the library with my Genesis albums (which I was only using as an example...I was seeing these issues throughout the whole library).
I have recreated the library and Emby is scanning it now which I suspect will take some time as it is 318GB and over 21,000 files
I am thinking the initial scan was just not correct and the database was missing a bunch of info perhaps.
As for the Genesis folder structure it just looked like this and the only images were embedded in the file metadata tags so no images in the folders themselves
Again, I appreciate the response
image.png.cadc9a8afd7aa7e8c83f06ea3e2bf410.png

fitzbew

I recreated one of my music libraries and it seems to be behaving much better now.
I did see some cases where there was no album art (as opposed to the wrong album art), but this seemed to be remedied by rescanning that folder.
I actually have 4 libraries that are music content, but I noticed that a couple are set to mixed content and I think this might be an issue as well.

On the newly crated library, I set it to store artwork into the media folders.
So, for the web interface, I do wish I could browse the library in folder mode, but view each folder with an album view (I believe I could have before), but I guess I can see this is a design decision.
I am curious though, with a new library, will I get a library image regenerated similar to what was there before?

Now for DLNA access, I do feel like there is one major problem that I am hoping there would be given some consideration to address.
As I mentioned, I really want to browse my library in folder mode. I have a large collection and the tagging may not be perfect in certain cases whereas the folder structure is exactly as I would expect and want.
What definitely seems to be the case that when accessing stuff via folder mode using my DLNA client all tracks are listed in alphabetical order which basically renders this unusable. As I mentioned, same library and same DLNA client does not exhibit this behavior using plex as the DLNA server.
Is there a possibility this could be looked into?
I understand DLNA may not be super prevalent, but for me, being able to use my Denon receiver as a client to my music library is important due to gapless flac playback support and the ability to drive my multi zone speaker system as well.

Again, thanks for the help and sorry for the alarm...