Audio and No Picture - Remote User

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

I'm letting some family start to access my media remotely, and they've run into an instance where episodes are apparently playing without video.  Audio comes through but video is just black.  They're using a Firestick on 2.0.21a.  Server is on 4.6.4.0.  Other media of similar formats work fine, and this particular media works fine for me playing locally also on a Firestick.  I watched as they started the media on my end, and it was direct playing so it doesn't seem like a transcoding issue.  At a bit of a loss.

I have the server log but I'd be more comfortable sending it to someone directly, please.

Appreciate any help.

Edited by Dreakon13

Hi there, can we please look at a specific example?

Yes you can PM log files. Thanks.

Dreakon13

@Luke Log sent.  Thanks

Let me know if there's any other specific info that might help.  Since it's happening to a remote user that is not very technically inclined, it may be a challenge to coordinate logs/evidence on their end.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What kind of TV is the stick plugged into?

It's a "VIZIO E-Series 40” Class Full-Array LED Smart TV | E400i-B2"  I believe

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's a "VIZIO E-Series 40” Class Full-Array LED Smart TV | E400i-B2"  I believe

Make sure the device is properly set to a supported resolution for that TV.

Dreakon13
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Make sure the device is properly set to a supported resolution for that TV.

Hi, to clarify, the device works fine, and most shows/episodes/media on my server (that they've tried) are working. Just this one set of files, for this particular remote user on their Firestick, are giving video troubles (despite it direct playing).

Locally the files work for me on my Firestick. I tried turning wifi off my phone and remoting in and it worked with the Android app as well.

I sent the server log to Luke.

Edited by Dreakon13

Hi.  If we can see logs from a specific example it will help but please do make sure that, for example, if this is a 1080 TV the stick is set to that resolution instead of "auto" or 4K.

Thanks.

Dreakon13
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  If we can see logs from a specific example it will help but please do make sure that, for example, if this is a 1080 TV the stick is set to that resolution instead of "auto" or 4K.

Thanks.

I've sent you the log as well.  Thanks.

I will go over the the devices resolution settings with the user later, though I don't feel like that's the issue.

Edited by Dreakon13

28 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I've sent you the log as well.  Thanks.

I will go over the the devices resolution settings with the user later, though I don't feel like that's the issue.

There is no ffmpeg log?  If you use Playback Correction in the video player, does it work?

Also, please follow the instructions to send a log from the app right after this item starts playing.

Thanks.

Dreakon13
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

There is no ffmpeg log?  If you use Playback Correction in the video player, does it work?

Also, please follow the instructions to send a log from the app right after this item starts playing.

Thanks.

The remote users are my parents... it's going to be a nightmare to even get them to pick up their phones, no less run through testing playback correction settings and sending logs, but I'll try lol.

If by ffmpeg you mean transcode logs, it was direct playing.  There was no ffmpeg log.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Thanks.

I had them try the playback corrections, it didn't fix it.  I also had them send a log from their Firestick after starting one of the files that wasn't working around 12:51pm ET (5 mins ago).

They also told me that the video was showing up now, just choppy and unwatchable.  Again, other shows and similarly formatted files work fine, and this was direct playing (so no transcoding).  If that helps diagnose at all.

Edited by Dreakon13

Okay, it looks like they are trying to play an HEVC Hi20 item on a legacy Fire Stick.  The device doesn't support it and the app is trying to software decode it but the stick just isn't powerful enough to do it.  If they use playback correction twice, or maybe 3 times, it will probably play for them (by transcoding on the server).

I believe the beta of the app will not try to software decode this any longer and always force a transcode.

• Thanks 1

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Okay, it looks like they are trying to play an HEVC Hi20 item on a legacy Fire Stick.  The device doesn't support it and the app is trying to software decode it but the stick just isn't powerful enough to do it.  If they use playback correction twice, or maybe 3 times, it will probably play for them (by transcoding on the server).

I believe the beta of the app will not try to software decode this any longer and always force a transcode.

Okay, I guess that makes sense.  Their Firestick is a hand-me-down that I gave them, before my Roku's started giving me trouble and I got new 4K Firestick's of my own.  I didn't think it was that old, but technology amirite?

We'll make due for now.  Thanks for your time.

EDIT: If I wanted to mess with it further (I don't really lol)... how would I go about accessing the beta?  Is the fix in Amazon's hands to approve/release officially, or still a bit away from that?

Edited by Dreakon13

I learned long ago, don't give hand me downs to parents or people who are not technical.  Give them "top of the line" for reasonable price equipment and save yourself grief. :)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

how would I go about accessing the beta?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1