Subtitles

CBers

CBers

How do you switch on/off subtitles, just via the tools button?

Which subtitles are supported?

I have SRT subtitles for a movie, but when I press tools I get SubtitlesTranscode displayed bottom left, which never disappears, but not subtitles displayed.

The STOP button has no effect if subtitles are on - I have to turn subtitles off (tools bytton) to be able to press stop.

Thanks.

Edited by CBers

chessdragon136

The tools button duing playback will bring up the tools bar. Left and right to select either transcoding or subtitles, selected one is in red. Press enter on that will bring up another menu in the bottom left with the selected options options, and selecting one of those will do something...

When the tools button is open press tools to hide it. If a suboption is selected, just press back and tools to close it. 

Playback keys are disabled when the tools window is open.

Think that covers it :)

CBers

Thanks Chess.

A stupid question, but what is the transcode option for, just subtitles?

The movie I was watching doesn't have subtitles, so I just had the transcode menu.

Will try with another movie that does have subtitles.

chessdragon136

The transcode menu is so that you can select lower qualities in situations where it is required

For most users you wont need it - The web player is the same

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you may have already explored the subtitles options, but it seems that the TV's can decipher subtitles on their own and not require transcoding from MBS.

I came across this posting on the sammy dev forum:

Dear user

Subtitle file path should be a local path.
So, if subtitle is located in a web server, you should save the file into local device and use the local path.

And for more your information,
subtitle setting API is only for Samsung TV and Samsung TV is supporting following subtitle fomats.
 - SubRip(.srt) 
 - SAMI(.smi)
 - SubViewer(.sub)
 - MPEG-4 based Text (.ttxt) 
 - Micro DVD (.sub or .txt)

Thanks,
KC Park
Samsung Developers

Would that be possible to do?  downloading the external subtitles, if they exist, onto the TV and running them locally?

thanks!

above1

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this, but what is the reason for the transcoding to be happening? I know that (at least, for my D8000) that it has no issues reading .mkv's with external .srt's.

Any reason why MBS has to transcode it for your app?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1