DS220+ and Tone Mapping will not work errors out (It is on hardware only)

ng4ever

ng4ever

If I set it with software as well it uses 100% of the Synology CPU then errors out too. Yes this is with Emby Premiere.

Maybe it is because of I am trying with a 4k movie ? Idk.

ng4ever

I had to disable it completely for all my content to work smoothly and actually play on my DS220+ guessing the same would happen with a DS920+ but could be wrong. :(

If I set it with software as well it uses 100% of the Synology CPU

This is expected as the help text underneath the option indicates. The 220+ will not be able to handle it in software.

ng4ever
Just now, Luke said:

This is expected as the help text underneath the option indicates. The 220+ will not be able to handle it in software.

What about the 920+ ? Just curious.

Also why can't it work when enabled to just use hardware ?

Bingie

You can always pre-transcode multiple versions of each movie.  Sure, it's a lot of setup work, but once done, it's done.

ng4ever
Just now, Bingyyyy said:

You can always pre-transcode multiple versions of each movie.  Sure, it's a lot of setup work, but once done, it's done.

How do you do that please? Never even knew that was possible. Sounds interesting and cool!

Bingie

Any video processing software will work, there are even free ones.  I use VideoProc myself, so easy to convert any format to any format.  Emby handles multiple file resolutions.

ng4ever

Thanks first I am going to see if I can get the 220+ it do tone mapping at least hardware wise. Sense that seems the less stressful.

Bingie

Maybe somebody other than me can answer this... can Emby take a 4k or 1k movie, and make a 720p or 480p version of it?  Is that support built-in?  Or do we have to use an external video converter software like VideoProc... thanks

(not transcoding on the fly, I mean make another file w/ lower resolution and/or frame rate)

Edited by Bingyyyy

ng4ever
1 minute ago, Bingyyyy said:

Maybe somebody other than me can answer this... can Emby take a 4k or 1k movie, and make a 720p or 480p version of it?  Is that support built-in?  Or do we have to use an external video converter software like VideoProc... thanks

Yes.

ng4ever

Weird I set tone mapping to hardware only now and it is working great!

I don't get it.

• Like 1

ng4ever

I think I figured out the problem.

Is it onlythat one movie, oddly enough, that goes from hardware transcoding to software transcoding even when having everything set as only hardware.

Super strange.

ng4ever

Never mind found a second one that does it too.

It is either the 2 movies or Emby. Can't figure out which is the bug or glitch. It is ok though.

ng4ever

Found a 3rd but all the other movies at same quality always go to hardware transcoding. So odd.

Hi, we would need to look at the format of the movie to see what exact type of HDR it is.

What I think is handy (visually wise) is to install the diagnostic plugin from the plugin catalog and restart the server.  You will now have a couple other menu choices in the admin section and using the "User Sessions" option will give you more info.

If you playback one of these trouble files it will generate an ffmpeg log file.  Upload that for us to take a look at.

ng4ever
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, we would need to look at the format of the movie to see what exact type of HDR it is.

What I think is handy (visually wise) is to install the diagnostic plugin from the plugin catalog and restart the server.  You will now have a couple other menu choices in the admin section and using the "User Sessions" option will give you more info.

If you playback one of these trouble files it will generate an ffmpeg log file.  Upload that for us to take a look at.

Will try thanks.