Could not find a part of the path

jerren
Go to solution Solved by jerren,

jerren

So i got a test emby server up for awhile now and it worked fine, could do everything i needed to do. But yesterday i tried to add a library and it couldn't. Since i run truenas 12 my first idea was that i might have messed something up with the permissions so i went and checked them, even compared them to the settings i use on the other dataset for my actual daily use emby server and everything was the same. Since it was late i left it alone to not make dumb mistakes. Coming back at it this morning i tried again, couldn't add a library again.

So i stripped ACL's in truenas and with screenshot of the permissions setting on the working dataset from my daily use emby i replicated the settings to the test emby. Still no succes. Looking in the logs i can see that it can't find the path oddly enough. I checked the mount point in truenas and again that is the same as the mountpoint for my daily use emby. So now i'm stumped, it's all checked in truenas to the best of my abilities so i hope someone here can help.

Truenas runs on 12.0-u3.1

Emby runs on 4.6.3.0

Included the serverlog, mountpoint screenshots (panzer is for daily use emby, tiger is for test emby) and lastly a screenshot that i think shows the error but i might be wrong.

tigermountpoint.PNG

panzermountpoint.PNG

error.PNG

embyserver.txt

Edited by jerren
added truenas& emby versions

Hi there, it looks like Emby server is being denied access to this location. Have you taken a look at this?

jerren

Hey Luke,

Yes i have. And just to be safe i checked it again just now. I'll post screenshots of the permissions i currently set on the "Tiger" dataset which should be fine since they are copied from the dataset permissions my daily use emby server uses. And since the "everyone" user isn't a full control but specific i'll show those in screenshots in more detail so there is nothing left in the dark.

Like i said in my post. I rechecked stuff permission wise multiple times since that's usually what would cause a path not to be accesible but since these settings work on the daily use emby i don't get why they wouldn't work on the test emby. And not sure if this was clear but both the daily use emby and test emby have their own dataset (so their own permissions, this has worked for i think several months now) within the same storagepool.

So daily use emby uses /Panzer/Media   --- test emby uses /Panzer/Tiger

permissions1.PNG

permissions2.PNG

everyone1.PNG

everyone2.PNG

MRobi
22 hours ago, jerren said:

permissions2.PNG

Remember, jails are exactly as they sound. Completely seperated from the main server. So while the username may be "emby" inside the jail, "emby" does not exist as a user in TrueNAS. This is why the instructions in the post Luke linked to say to enter "989" in the user field of your ACL settings. There are ways around using 989 where you can enter "emby", but there's not really any point to it and it will overcomplicate things for the majority of users.

jerren

I remember, i did input 989 as user when i tried but it recognizes emby since i made a user with that ID ages ago when i started on freenas. When i input 989 with the user and go check after it applies the permissions it shows as emby.

Just to stay on the safe side and double check i powered down that jail just now, removed the emby ACL item and after saving it without emby permissions i went back and added a full controll 989 user. Checking after applying shows it with username emby instead of 989. I booted up the jail again and still can't add a new library.

I added 2 screenshots showing daily use can see the media dataset while test emby  is not able to see the tiger mediaset, both have the same permissions set up at the moment.

Medialibraryoptions.PNG

Tigerlibraryoptions.PNG

MRobi

So daily use emby uses /Panzer/Media   --- test emby uses /Panzer/Tiger

Is the Tiger dataset a copy of the Media dataset? 

It sounds to me like to goal is to have a stable version of Emby server plus a beta version. If so, having both accessing /Panzer/Media should not be an issue.

I missed this on my first reply, but your screenshots show your ACL entries for /Panzer/Media. If your test emby is mounting /Panzer/Tiger you'll need a separate ACL entry for that dataset.

MRobi

Another thought, and something I ran into....

I had setup a Windows share long before the ACL manager came into existance. And back then, when I setup my Emby jail it was done the old school way of setting group permissions and adding users to groups, etc... Once I updated to TrueNAS, I recreated the Emby jail to take advantage of FreeBSD12, and when I setup the ACL entry, it wasn't working. Turned out it was because of the windows share. I had to strip those permissions, strip the ACL and start over for both. It's been so long I don't remember the steps I took but just another avenue for you to explore.

jerren

It is not a copy no, it's a seperate one with less important stuff on it. Mostly for testing and some adult content since i saw that could now work in emby. I plan to update on that one first in the future and see how it handles an update. They don't both acces /Panzer/Media since i wanted it to have it's own separate dataset. The screenshot showing media acces is from my daily use emby while the tiger acces is from the test emby.

And yes the screenshots of the acl entries were for my /Panzer/Media dataset since i had taken those already to make sure i was exactly the same in my /Panzer/Tiger ACL settings, once i saw they were i figured i would just use those screenshots to post here since it would show the same thing.

Hmm i didn't make the /Panzer/Tiger dataset until awhile ago so i didn't have a windows share to it yet. I was already on Truenas for i think almost a year when it was made and it's windows share. But it's something to look into either way i guess since atm i have clue what's blocking it. I stripped all ACL's once already so what's the harm in doing it again, i've redone them a few times now. 

Think i'll turn of the jail, turn of smb sharing, remove the mountpoint, strip acl's, reboot the hostserver, reapply the acl's, add the mountpoint, turn on smb sharing and then turn on the jail again. 

Edited by jerren

jerren

Alas no dice. I checked the logs again and saw system.IO.FileNotFoundException referencing /Tiger.

image.png.9d609edf268085761ba7f432a63ce46f.pngimage.png.60a46179d144f3dd2bf411ede00d3f61.png

Edited by jerren
Added logscreenshot

MRobi

@jerrenwhat happens if you go into the jail's shell and navigate to where you mounted the dataset. Can it access it there?

For example, if your mountpoint is /Media/Tiger -> /media, what happens when you navigate to /media in the shell. Can you see folders?

Also maybe post up a screenshot of your fstab list for the jail so we can make sure it's mounted properly.

From the main shell (not the jail) run

iocage fstab -l EMBYTIGERJAILNAMEHERE

• Thanks 1

jerren

Gotta look up how to navigate in freebsd shell again, thought it was simply cd /Panzer/Tiger but that didn't work so i'll post back with that. Here's the fstab screenshot though @MRobi

When navigating to the media folder in the test emby jail where my mount point points too (should have realized that sooner honestly) i can see all 19 folders that are present in that location. I used personal names for those so rather not take a screenshot but i can give a screenshot of the permissions and most of the info that goes with it. To be clear i navigated to /media down from root and then used ls -laTFWi to see that info. 

image.png.4b5311708226e65a4b26d9b7e78558e3.png

image.png.b231b13227ac92b4b985ba08ce61f68f.png

Edited by jerren
Updated info

MRobi

No worries. Your mount looks good. Permissions are 770 which is fine. Your issue is definitely a permissions issue. If you've set your ACL settings I'm not really sure why it's not working.

Did you happen to change the user emby is running under to something else?

Another route you can try to take is the old school permissions method, pre-acl. Your dataset has user and group rwx access. My favorite method of doing this was always with group access. Inside the "Pemby" jail you create a group with the matching GID as the owner of the files in the dataset. Then you just add the emby user to that group.

So in the "Pemby" jail's shell...

pw groupadd -n GROUPNAME -g GID
pw groupmod GROUPNAME -m emby

There's a post on the TrueNAS boards giving all the methods, I'll try to dig it up.

jerren

The only user change i made recently was to the transmission user because i had folders and files that i couldn't acces or see when moving from the transmission download folder to another. But that is only relevant to the /Panzer/Media dataset since that's where the transmission folder is located on. I basically did 

pw group mod transmission -g YOUR_GID
pw user mod transmission -u YOUR_UID -g YOUR_GID

which worked. So i'm kind of hesitant to make more changes like that since i don't fully understand the problem and what these commands do. 

Now that i think about it, those commands worked to let me acces and move files from the transmission download folder but i still got a folder that i can't delete nor see the files inside it because they still belong to the transmission user ....

One question, why add the emby user through commands in the jail and not just go into the gui add it to the group that way?

• Solution
jerren

Ok so i was thinking things over and for some reason /Tiger doesn't work anymore but i suddenly realized that i could still navigate to /mnt/Panzer/iocage/jails/Pemby/root/media and in there i could select and add a new library ...

I'm happy that works but at the same time i'm left wondering if this is how it's supposed to work? I remember adding the other libraries through /Tiger and then selecting the correct folder. However looking in my library list in settings i now see all of them having the path /media/foldername. 

I did update my truenas a while ago to a newer version for the files i couldn't see or delete and could it be they changed up how the mount points work now? Instead of selecting the dataset you now select the mountpoint you reference to? I checked and it's the same on my daily use emby, i can tell because the dataset is with a capital M and now they all have the same small path. Except that on my daily use emby i can still do the old method of going to /Media Doesn't explain why it works for one emby and not the other one though.

Crossed out a part because i realized the reason it still works over there is that the pathname probably isn't casesensitive, so it's the same on both emby jails. It's just because my dataset is called Media for the daily use one that i didn't realize it. The mountpoint shows that i point to /mnt/Panzer/iocage/jails/Pemby/root/media from /mnt/Panzer/Tiger. So when i did /Media on my daily use, it didn't go to /mnt/Panzer/Media as i thought, instead it went to /mnt/Panzer/iocage/jails/Emby/root/media. No idea why i can't do /Tiger anymore, maybe security reasons? Who knows. but i'm pretty sure it's because the update i did in truenas.

Holy fuck, what a coincidence to screw with your mind huh ^^. So unless someone has a different idea then what i came up with i think we can consider this one solved?

Edited by jerren
Had another realization