"Next Up" Ordering Issue?

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

I apologize if this has been brought up before, I feel like I've seen topics about Next Up and weird sort order issues... searches aren't turning anything up though.  I also looked through the 4.7.0.3-beta notes and I don't think this is in there.

image.thumb.png.543408dbbd3fdee1c456669d98102c62.png

Any reason you guys can think of why S1:E1 is showing up randomly 20 episodes into the Next Up list?  The metadata looks correct for it and the surrounding episodes (ie. the circled item has Season 1 Episode 1, the item to the left of it has Season 1 Episode 23).  I have the show in "absolute" order, as opposed to aired or DVD order.

It was actually worse before, but I removed the media files from the folder, scanned the library to remove from Emby... then moved it back and re-scanned.  Now it just seems like Episode 1 is off as opposed to a bunch of different episodes.  In general though, it seems a bit shaky.

Appreciate any insight.

EDIT: I'm on server version 4.6.3.0

EDIT 2: Interesting... looks like the episode listing itself is off as well...

image.thumb.png.b6a1e6a83dfc7459f71b3bacef7e44f7.png

image.thumb.png.3928993cae43d6a5800eb87c40574d92.png

Edited by Dreakon13

10 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

I have the show in "absolute" order,

Hi.  That is your answer.  The absolute order is potentially different from the season/episode order.

Dreakon13
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is your answer.  The absolute order is potentially different from the season/episode order.

Thank you for the reply, but I don't follow.  TheTVDB has episode 1 at the beginning for Naruto Shippuden's absolute order, not between episode 23 and 24.

Edited by Dreakon13

rodainas
12 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Thank you for the reply, but I don't follow.  TheTVDB has episode 1 at the beginning for Naruto Shippuden's absolute order, not between episode 23 and 24.

Question, Do you use nfo files for emby to read them with your media folders?

Dreakon13
5 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Question, Do you use nfo files for emby to read them with your media folders?

I haven't personally looked into anything like that.  I'd only be using them if that's a setting somewhere that Emby does by default.

(I'm not totally sure what nfo files are in this sense.)

Edited by Dreakon13

OseiasMedeiros

I had this same problem when the filename was wrong, how is the filename?
To solve the problem with Bleach I put the name of the files as: Bleach S01E01

Dreakon13
8 minutes ago, OseiasMedeiros said:

I had this same problem when the filename was wrong, how is the filename?
To solve the problem with Bleach I put the name of the files as: Bleach S01E01

The filename is admittedly a bit more complex than it probably should be... Naruto Shippuden - 001 [480p][HEVC][x265][Dual-Audio]

But it's pulling in the metadata correctly (episode 1 is episode 1, episode 23 is episode 23, episode 500 is episode 500) as you can see in the last screenshot.  I would assume as long as the episodes are numbered right in Emby's metadata, at that point it's on Emby to sort them in the correct order?

EDIT: Worth mentioning my Anime library is Mixed Content... maybe the rules are a little different there?

Edited by Dreakon13

rodainas
3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

The filename is admittedly a bit more complex than it probably should be... Naruto Shippuden - 001 [480p][HEVC][x265][Dual-Audio]

But it's pulling in the metadata correctly (episode 1 is episode 1, episode 23 is episode 23, episode 500 is episode 500) as you can see in the last screenshot.  I would assume as long as the metadata has pulled in correctly, at that point it's on Emby to sort them in the correct order?

In that case, if I were you I would do the test, renaming the 001 file to s01e01, rescanning that file and see the results, probably the filename is causing a confusion within emby itself.

Edited by rodainas

Dreakon13
Just now, rodainas said:

In that case, I would do the test, remaming the 001 file to s01e01, rescanning that file and see the results, probably the filename is causing a confusion within emby itself.

I could give that a try, though I was always under the impression that the filename was used to initially scrape for the metadata.  Once it's successfully done that, why would Emby prioritize it over the metadata it just pulled in?

OseiasMedeiros

It was to recognize and organize automatically, however, that's not what happens, Bleach was like that, I had several problems with mixed episodes, but I managed to solve it the way I said before, do a test, it may solve the problem.

Dreakon13

Thanks all, I can give that a try after work today.  It's not the first item I've had to tweak a little to get right so I bet it'll fix it.

I'm still curious if this is a bug in Emby though.  I don't mind adjusting the files to something Emby likes better, but it seems unusual that it'd ignore the metadata it just pulled, in favor of the filename (which tbh, 001 would still go before 023 lol).  Everything works except the part where Emby has to read it's own info.

Edited by Dreakon13

rodainas
6 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Thanks all, I can give that a try after work today.  It's not the first item I've had to tweak a little to get right so I bet it'll fix it.

I'm still curious if this is a bug in Emby though.  I don't mind adjusting the files to something Emby likes better, but it seems unusual that it'd ignore the metadata it just pulled, in favor of the filename (which tbh, 001 would still go before 023 lol).  Everything works except the part where Emby just has to read it's own info.

If the test corrects your issue, you could ask the devs the reason maybe you could have found a bug in this case that emby got correct metadata but for some reason is ignoring it (in the ordering respect, for one episode at least).

Edited by rodainas

Dreakon13
1 minute ago, rodainas said:

If the test corrects your issue, you could ask the devs the reason maybe you could have found a bug in this case that emby got correct metadata but for some reason is ignoring it.

Yep, that's why I posted this topic here, on the Emby forums, where the devs can see. ;)

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

But it's pulling in the metadata correctly (episode 1 is episode 1, episode 23 is episode 23, episode 500 is episode 500) as you can see in the last screenshot.  I would assume as long as the episodes are numbered right in Emby's metadata, at that point it's on Emby to sort them in the correct order?

EDIT: Worth mentioning my Anime library is Mixed Content... maybe the rules are a little different there?

I did not test with a complex naming scheme, I used 01 thru 99 with absolute order and had not issue.

Only reason I can think of is there is corrupt data in the database for the episode.

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I did not test with a complex naming scheme, I used 01 thru 99 with absolute order and had not issue.

Only reason I can think of is there is corrupt data in the database for the episode.

I did try removing the show from the library folder, scanning the library to remove it from Emby, moving the show folder back in, and re-scanning again.  To be honest, it seems like it fixed other issues with mixed up episode ordering but the Episode 1 issue remained.  I can try it again, but is there a better way to do it to ensure there's no corrupt data?

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I did try removing the show from the library folder, scanning the library to remove it from Emby, moving the show folder back in, and re-scanning again.  To be honest, it seems like it fixed other issues with mixed up episode ordering but the Episode 1 issue remained.  I can try it again, but is there a better way to do it to ensure there's no corrupt data?

I tried with and without nfo files in Mixed content and can not make episode 1 to appear in the wrong place.  So all I can do is guess.

If you created a NEW library with a new test folder and put the series in that do you get the same results.

What is the content in that series folder?