Option to allow for different streaming bitrate for 1080 vs 4K content

bozrdnag

bozrdnag

So now that Emby has DTP for transcoding HDR content, I've been starting to acquire UHD movies.  During testing I noticed it takes a good bit higher bitrate for 4K content to achieve similar quality as 1080.  According to Stats for Nerds it takes 10Mbps to get 1920x1080 playback on 4K content.  Where as it only requires 5Mbps on 1080 content.  Cayars has explained to me that this is just a fact of life due to the difference in resolution.  I get that.

In light of that, I think it would be great if there could be an option for two bitrates based on the source resolution.  So one value could be set for source content up to 1080 and the a second value could be set for 4K content.  

I would like to set my users at 10Mbps so that when they watch something that is a 4K movie, it looks good to them.  But over 90% of my library is currently 1080 or lower content.  So setting them at 10Mbps is overkill and a waste fo my upload bandwidth for the majority of the content they will watch.  Currently, they watch that stuff at 5Mbps and they all think it looks good.  

It would be great if I could set it for 5Mpbs for 1080 and below and 10Mbps for 4K.  Is that something that would be practical to implement?

• Like 1

heciruam

That seems like a good idea.
I need the opposite though. I'm fine if 1080p content gets streamed as high as possible while I would set lower limits for content that needs tonemapping applied.

Edited by heciruam

20 hours ago, bozrdnag said:

Yes. The vast majority are ripped 1:1 Blurays. 

OK, yes I can understand the use case. Thanks.