Accidentally upgraded from stable 4.6 to beta 4.7 should I do a fresh install of stable 4.6 now?

SJBart

SJBart

I was setting up a script to upgrade Emby on Ubuntu to the latest stable release and made a mistake which lead to it updating to very latest beta release 4.7 instead of latest stable 4.6 - I downgraded back to 4.6 and everything seems to be working. Before that I upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6 which went smooth as well. Do you recommend I take a backup using the backup/restore plugin then do a fresh install of 4.6 to ensure my app is working as well as possible? Since I am worried I have possibly made Emby run a little worse under the hood with my actions. I also think I read somewhere that users should do a fresh install in 4.6 to benefit most from DB improvements from 4.5 to 4.6 if I remember correctly so perhaps that would be a benefit as well.

Happy2Play

No you shouldn't have any issues downgrading back to official/stable release 4.6.x.  Potentially just have to verify plugins.

As things have moved around over time a fresh install can  remove bloat for the database as my Original Mediabrowser-server install database has obsolete tables from a previous major update.  Then you have People scattered in multiple folders as they started in /metadata/people, then migrated to /metadata/library and are now back in /metadata/people in a new folder naming scheme and structure.

Overall if you are willing a new install would be beneficial and only restore users and users data.  But everyones view on this will be different as if you don't save metadata/images with media this is a large undertaking starting over.

• 1 month later...
scott46953

It should be possible for the EMBY team to put togeather a cleanup tool or just automatically do it at the end of the upgrades.

I'm not worried about it as I have plenty of space, but others on android or smaller servers may really need this done.

The copy i am still using, i have migrated from windows to linux to android back to linux and then back to android and then i went back to windows because it was

more user friendly and I had issues with external USB storage not working or showing up in EMBY.  But i was using Kali Linux and may not be the best for Emby.

Kali linux added new security features in the last few updates that i am still getting used to.

Anyways... I am sure my copy needs some cleaning... but works amazing.  I have no issues streaming 10+ streams at once while transcoding and converting all at the same time.

What i have been looking for is a reboot task,,, speaking of the devil... How can i reboot Emby automatically every night at 4am?

My CNN gets stuck from IPTV source and a reboot always fixes stuck streams.  When i say stuck, i mean it will not play when selected, but will after a fresh reboot.

I have notice this happening on alot of iptv streams.  Maybe one day make a thread for it.  just been too busy.

sorry didnt mean to hijack, but if i dont type this out, i may forget. grrr