Player ignore font and corupts czech letters in ASS subtitles

Bofden00

Bofden00

Hello,

I have some issues lately with ASS subtitles. The player seems to ignore default font for lines, font change inside line is being shown correctly while trancoding to TV (not on webplayer). Also some czech letters are displayed incorectly (see attached screens). I'm using Emby server for Windows v4.6.3.0. I attach screen from MPlayer, where everything is shown correctly and screens from WebPlayer (on Firefox x64 v89.0.2) and from Sony Android TV with transcoding turned on (with transcoding off it looks same as on web-based player). I also include ASS subtitle file, so you could te st it. Note that SRT subtitles are handled correctly.

I beleive subtitles works fine with trancoding sometime about 3 weeks ago and I didn't change anything on server since; I only had to buy and unlock the TV App. Please let me know, if it's some setting I didn't find or if you need any additional info.

emby-web.png.8d4d5e01395624b77f56dae8010c58d5.png.8dddcbd4a311b8d179906179a3faabd7.png

mplayer.png.210134acab35fcfa19601ad1026dcc97.png.81462cbcc64574af84116ebafeaff94a.png

emby-tv.jpg.b9a2adbcff36134bb1bc94f577914f67.thumb.jpg.8aaa52fc1d07af8032e3149a48311a1b.jpg

TEST.ass

Edited by Bofden00

Hello Bofden00,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

35 minutes ago, Bofden00 said:

from Sony Android TV with transcoding turned on (with transcoding off it looks same as on web-based player).

Hi.  Are you saying it is okay if not transcoding on the Android TV?  Sorry, I'm not sure which image is which...

Bofden00

Hi, sorry for the images, I should wrote a note in the pictures. First image is from WebPlayer, second is from MPlayer application and the last is from TV; on TV transcoding is ON, when it's OFF, the result is same as on Web Player. First line of subtitle is set by Style, the second line is set by ASS script:

{\fnArial\fs68}

Note, that both Style and Script have set the same font and size, but only Script is shown correctly on TV with trancoding.

• 1 month later...
Bofden00
On 6/27/2021 at 3:15 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Are you saying it is okay if not transcoding on the Android TV?  Sorry, I'm not sure which image is which...

Hi,

I manage to find, where might be the problem - the font Noto Sans (NotoSansFallback.ttf) have corupted national characters and it seem to be used and embeded in Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.dll. Version 4.5.4.0 was using DroidSansFallback.ttf as fallback, which definetly works fine with national chars.

Since the Noto Sans it's embeded in that DLL and server is dependent on that DLL version, I cannot test if that change make it work again. It would be at least nice to have an option in settings which font should encoder use as fallback, instead hardcoded it.

NotoSans.png

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
MiChAeLoKGB

Hello,

has there been any progress with this issue? It makes Czech and Slovak subtitles quite unbearable to use.

It's the same issue as in 

Thank you.

Edited by MiChAeLoKGB

• 1 month later...
hakamori

Hi
How long will it take to fix the CZECH subtitles? I would like to buy premium, but your product in this state is unusable for Czech users.

• Agree 1

Bofden00

Hi,

As I tested recently in 4.8.0.3beta with enabled encoding ASS on TV subtitles shows OK (Windows Emby server + Android TV); on web player or on TV with encoding ASS disabled are subtitles still corrupted.

Maybe you can try add to Emby server new setting - path to used fonts (or add fixed path to fonts). To this path users could add fonts used in ASS subtitles and default fallback font, as I already sugested sometime year ago - since the corruption cames from that default fallback font NotoSansFallback.ttf anyway.