stutter/pause with high bitrate h.264

techywarrior

techywarrior

I replaced my old HTPC with an Intel NUC a few months ago and everything has been great except that my BD rips (1280x720 h.264 m2ts files with AC3) all seems to pause randomly for a second. Never happens on DVD rips.

It only happens in MBC too. Playing them in another player on the machine seems to play them fine. No clue why it would be different. Anyone seen same/similar?

The CPU usage is low during playback and it's not the connection to the media (1gbps network, hell, it plays fine over wireless wifi to my phone and that's like 20mbps)

Cheesegeezer

I replaced my old HTPC with an Intel NUC a few months ago and everything has been great except that my BD rips (1280x720 h.264 m2ts files with AC3) all seems to pause randomly for a second. Never happens on DVD rips.

It only happens in MBC too. Playing them in another player on the machine seems to play them fine. No clue why it would be different. Anyone seen same/similar?

The CPU usage is low during playback and it's not the connection to the media (1gbps network, hell, it plays fine over wireless wifi to my phone and that's like 20mbps)

Hate to say this, but its a wmc issue, not mbc. We've experienced this for years, asking a remote drive to spin up again.... The dont relise the whole film is on the same drive!

techywarrior

Yea, I was pretty sure it was a WMC issue and not a MBC issue but was hoping that someone had a solution :)

Strange that I never experienced it with my old setup.

I'm guessing my options are:

1. use an external player with MBC
  2. wait for MBT to support everything I need (live tv, etc.)
  3. use xbmc3

:(

Edited by techywarrior

amadeo36

A solution could be change your m2ts files for MKV. All my rips are in MKV containers and I've never had a problem.

To do this, you must demux all tracks in m2ts (video h.264. ac3 audio traks ans subs) with TSMUXER program and then rebuild an MKV with MKVmergue program.

It is easy to do.

You can try and see if it works for you.

Good luck

techywarrior

Thanks for the suggestion but the reason I ripped all my movies as m2ts is because the xbox 360 had issues playing some mkv files. Although, I am using the 360 less for media center stuff and the xbox one more often. Either way, I'd just swap one problem for another.

Unless there is an actual solution (setting tweak in MBC etc.) I'll most likely either wait for MBT to be really ready (which is my long term migration goal from MBC I think) or see how soon the new xbox one media player is coming that will support m2ts. (along with a myriad of other file formats). Since my MBC machine and xbox one are on the same TV, and the 360 is in another room, this is preferable.