Crazy Up Next Times

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Hi, I have an Amazon 4K Firestick with app version 2.0.21a Registered and Emby server version 4.6.3.0. 

I was doing some general shuffling through my TV shows library last night (watching what I wanted to watch, skipping past what I didn't... the new age channel surfing lol) and with a slightly concerning frequency, I was getting the examples in the screenshots of "Up Next" with crazy times. Like halfway through a 20 minute episode, saying it "starts in" 11-13 minutes.

It normally works fine, popping up with a small fraction of the shows left. I'm guessing maybe the shuffling/skipping was confusing things?

I'm not sure if this is a server issue or a Firestick issue.  Sorry if this isn't in the right place.

Appreciate any insights.

PXL_20210626_024324747.MP-01.jpeg

PXL_20210626_014031937.MP-01.jpeg

Edited by Dreakon13

So the panel is coming up when there really is that much time left?

This almost has to be metadata related.  Do the durations show properly on the detail page?

I can't reproduce this at all.
My thinking is along with @ebr that this must somehow be meta-data related.

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, ebr said:

So the panel is coming up when there really is that much time left?

This almost has to be metadata related.  Do the durations show properly on the detail page?

Yeah, about halfway through the episodes the panel was showing up, which is roughly 11-13 minutes give or take.

The duration seems correct (this is the Impractical Jokers episode I was watching):

image.thumb.png.139767c50ba0766f72436249c65dda55.png

(I pulled that from the web app, let me know if I need to check on the Firestick.)

It's a good episode, I could try watching it again and see if it happens. 😄  I have a feeling it'll work fine though.

Could the fact I shuffled the full library and skipped a number of random shows/episodes, before landing on these to watch, play into it at all?

Edited by Dreakon13

4 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Could the fact I shuffled the full library and skipped a number of random shows/episodes, before landing on these to watch, play into it at all?

Perhaps but I'm not really sure how at the moment...

seanbuff

This happened to me the other night as well (Android TV beta), popup displayed with ~9mins left in the episode.

I was not shuffling or skipping anything, just played a single episode with all accurate metadata intact.

8 hours ago, seanbuff said:

This happened to me the other night as well (Android TV beta), popup displayed with ~9mins left in the episode.

Can you make this happen consistently with this item?

seanbuff
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you make this happen consistently with this item?

Unfortunately not, it was a one-off. Otherwise I would have reported the problem sooner.

14 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Unfortunately not, it was a one-off. Otherwise I would have reported the problem sooner.

Was it something brand new to your system?

seanbuff
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Was it something brand new to your system?

Nope. This series has been in the system for 6 months.

13 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Nope. This series has been in the system for 6 months.

That specific episode as well?  And it had not recently updated?

This issue has to be related to what the system thinks the duration of the item is when it first starts so my only guess right now is that, somehow, that duration is incorrect -either in metadata or the information obtained from the initial probe (or the lack of a probe).  If the file had recently changed, that could be one explanation.

seanbuff

Thanks @ebr, I completely understand what you're saying - but this case is quite the anomaly (i have lots of playtime and its only happened once)

9 hours ago, ebr said:

That specific episode as well?  And it had not recently updated?

this entire season was added in bulk at the same time back in Dec 2020 and has not been updated since (auto metadata refresh is set to 'Never')
As far as I can tell, the initial probe was accurate, and still is. I just manually went through each ep outside of Emby to compare the runtime that Emby has indicated and they are spot on. 🤷🏽‍♂️

All I can do at this point is monitor for another occurrence and pay more attention (screenshot, app/server logs, etc) -- Thanks.

13 hours ago, seanbuff said:

All I can do at this point is monitor for another occurrence and pay more attention (screenshot, app/server logs, etc) -- Thanks.

Okay, please turn the debug options on in the app now so that the next time this happens, you can immediately send a log from the app.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
seanbuff

Okay happened again this evening, while watching the same series - was offered the next ep with around 7 mins left in the current one

image.png.e9c9393c1772cd095409eee66546915b.png

After I cancelled, stopped and sent the logs. I replayed the same ep and waited til the end where it correctly offered at -40 secs -- which to me says Emby does know the correct duration of the media.

Will PM details.

Unfortunately, the log doesn't contain the start of the item which is what would tell us when it calculated the up next time.  I thought this might be a problem because so much time will pass between the origin of the issue and  you seeing it.

Did you immediately back out and send the log?

seanbuff

Timeline of activity in EST to match app log:

05:44:49.568 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.30g playing Unknown Caller. Started at 0 ms

Started watching first item, watched entire episode, then during closing credits used OSD to skip to next episode before the T-40 sec auto offer

06:34:31.626 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.30g playing Household. Started at 0 ms

Next episode starts playing, and then with about 7 mins left I am offered to start the Next Ep (pic above)

I took the pic above and waited about 90 secs to see if it would keep ticking over before hitting cancel and sending log via app.

When this happens, is it always on the 3rd or more episode?  That may be an important clue...

seanbuff
9 hours ago, ebr said:

When this happens, is it always on the 3rd or more episode?  That may be an important clue...

Yes, always the 2nd, 3rd or more. Never the 1st ep to be played in that session. For me anyway.