Extras Images Best Practices

roaku
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

roaku

I'm creating custom images for my extras that appear in the main item view, but I'm struggling with some of Emby's presenation quirks.

I'd prefer this extras list view use thumb/landscape images like the Home view's Continue Watching, and it seems like it will use these under certain circumstances, but I'm struggling to figure out *exactly* what triggers what.

Plus, I'd like to know what the ideal ratios are for thumb/landscape and primary images to minimize the stretching and background filling that can occur when the proportions aren't to Emby's liking.

This is the ideal landscape presentation I'd like to recreate with Extras:

continue-watching.thumb.png.0fbca6e889dbcd037e974f5a73693bce.png

If I provide Emby with only thumb images and delete the auto-generated screenshot primaries, I can get Emby to display the thumbs for extras, which is what I want:

the-ideal.thumb.png.50919f8586a4124f2b85bcb8361259e2.png

If I have both a poster style primary and a landscape thumb for each extra, the primary dominates, and we get this, which should obviously be illegal:

the-horror.thumb.png.9be409e15ea77764534c5cea0104dd5b.png

If I upload landscape images as primary images, I get pretty good results, but Emby gets finicky about the aspect ratios, plus I don't know what other hidden badness might occur in other areas:

landscape-as-primary.thumb.png.5b3e4e781feea437060b7c9760108062.png

So...my questions...finally:

1) Is it possible to get Emby to prefer thumb/landscape over primary for the extras list view when both image types are present on an extra?

2) Is using landscape images as primary images for extras an insane thing I will regret?

3) What are Emby's ideal aspect ratios for its primary and landscape image types?

4) Is there an awesome 4th option I'm missing for displaying thumbs/landscape images in the extras list?

Thanks

• Solution
Happy2Play
20 minutes ago, roaku said:

1) Is it possible to get Emby to prefer thumb/landscape over primary for the extras list view when both image types are present on an extra?

Pretty sure this is hardcoded image type priority when multiple images are present.

22 minutes ago, roaku said:

2) Is using landscape images as primary images for extras an insane thing I will regret?

Shouldn't have any issue as the server screen grab is landscape assigned as Primary/Poster.  Per the other topic I apply custom images with media to maintain them as the UI places them in /metadata/library.

15 minutes ago, roaku said:

3) What are Emby's ideal aspect ratios for its primary and landscape image types?

2:3 and 16:9

• Thanks 1