Which build would be a good start for a decent client to connect to my server

1971camaroguy

1971camaroguy

Hi Everyone,

Currently running a shield but thinking about building a small windows machine as a client and boot directly into emby as emby being the shell.

My server running emby is loaded down, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor 3.70 GHz, 32gb ram, SSD, GTX 1050 TI video card ect......what would I need on a client to be able to direct play huge 4k rips with no buffering and will play everything with no transcoding?

I was thinking a windows machine, would a NUC with a celeron processor and 8gb ram handle it?  Or a mini-ITX board with an atom proccessor do it too?

I've got this urge to basically build a poor man's zappiti lol for my theater room.

One last question, I have been an emby premiere user for the last four years and familiar with that, but what is the benefit of the kodi emby add on's?

Could I install both of these and change my theme to something different? Would I be able to get it to load the main movies directly when the pc is booted up, bypassing the kodi menu? I am not interested in music or any of the other offerings...just want a good robust media / movie player that can handle my mkv rips.

1971camaroguy

I've got two of them, and they work great. Just in a tinkering mood I guess and want to build something I can have more control over.

The 11' x 18' theater room is pretty much going to be for watching movies, I picked up a epson 5040UB projector so I could take advantage of the lens shift and change from 16:9 to Letterbox as needed to hide the black bars outside of the viewing area.

I have a Marantz SR6012 for a reciever so I can do a 5.2.4 atmos set-up, Klipsch speakers, and a stage with a 127" 2:35 accoustically transparent screen.

Lastly valancia 3 recliner seating with bass shakers to put in them.

I wanted to build something in the room that's automated and can control lighting and maybe even screen size adjustment if I can figure out a way to send a signal to the projector to change lens position based on the movie I am watching.

But yeah at the end of the day, I still have my shield, it's always been a great player and handles the 4k rips great.

Edited by 1971camaroguy

Unless there is something the Shield TV isn't going to do for you I don't see the point in the HTPC setup.

But if wanting something to tinker with, tell us what your current server setup is. :)