Music artist split

SeNmaN

Can u man "&" to make a split between 2 artits?

so "&" will split Obie Trice & 50 Cent

so it will be like.. Eminem / Obie Trice / 50 Cent

b351dc9f4995fcb3cd101a96cc9c0aea.png

ginjaninja

& is a valid character in some artist names eg Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

I edit tags and use ; (semicolon) to split as this is compatible with WMP as well.

psykix

I asked this previously and logged it as a FR on Github but it was declined due to / being the only official separator.

It does unfortunately mean that MBS doesn't recognise some track artists. Not really sure how/if that could be fixed.

; works fine in web client, but in metadata manager it doesn't spilt artists, instead it shows XXX and XXX for album artists which is annoying.

Edited by somy

yea ";" works fine. but then the mediabrowser scanning libaray its will be change to "&" again

because it retrieves metadata from MusicBrainz

Edited by SeNmaN

Then it sounds like something that needs to be fixed at the source (MusicBrainz).  Splitting on '&' would be extremely problematic as pointed out above.

ginjaninja

In my experience the musicbainz source is correct and multiple album artists are separate objects when appropriate eg

https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/47873729-6db0-3431-99e7-0292e939dadf

i have noticed that the latest dev version of mb3 (at least), Version 3.0.5351.40457, no longer supports multiple album artists (and although correctly splits only records the first album artist against the album)

i cant find the interfaces which show this difference  between the webclient and the metadata manager (which is also the dashboard webclient?) that is mentioned above.

If ffprobe repairs their detection of multiple artists in true multivalue tags then IMO use of eg. \\ in mp3tag will be the best splitter.rather than splitting on separator of a string.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/3125#comment:3

for the moment, ; (semicolon) is IMO the best spiltter as

it is compatible with MB3, WMP (and other clients) for artist and genre

there are no artists with ; (semicolon).

There are very few albums with multiple album artists, and for most of those, one of the album artists might be considered the primary one, so MB3 only appreciating the 1st album artist is ok aka "there are probably bigger fish to fry?"

Edited by ginjaninja