Emby Server Has Stopped Pulling Metadata for New TV Shows

Cortexian

Cortexian

My workflow for Emby is generally to automatically record shows with another app, and then manually move the media files into my actual file system structure for media (helps keep it organized on the disk to my liking).

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that Emby has stopped updating metadata for a few shows. What should be my first steps in troubleshooting? Does Emby have logs for metadata generation/detecting/adding new media items to a Library?

Please see the attachment jpg for an example showing two new episodes w/o metadata.

tba-episodes.jpg

Hello Cortexian,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, the first step would be to read through your log files looking for any errors related to library updates.

If you upload your latest server log here we can take a look at it for you.

Hi.  Based on the fact the episode title is "TBA" I think that did pull metadata but that provider simply didn't have any info yet.

What providers have you enabled and have you looked on that/those sites to see what is available for that item?

gillmacca01

I have noticed this as well, but keep forgetting to report it.

Same show, but also happening with 'Loki' - both have an episode title of 'TBA' in Emby, although the video file and TVDB has an episode name, also the overview is not being pulled when TVDB has an overview. All other details including the TVDB id's are being pulled

Hi, can you show us what Loki looks like for you?
Or did you manually correct it?

9 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

both have an episode title of 'TBA' in Emby, although the video file and TVDB has an episode name, also the overview is not being pulled when TVDB has an overview. All other details including the TVDB id's are being pulled

My best guess would be an inefficiency in them updating the API vs. the main site because we never default an episode title to "TBA" so that has to have come from them through the API.

• Like 1

gillmacca01

Unfortunately, I manually corrected it.

I'll keep an eye out for it happening again

It could also be an effect of timing on when we first grabbed the episode data from them and however long it takes us to update it.

IOW - we first grabbed info for that title before it had any metadata and we haven't gone back to refresh it yet.

rodainas
22 minutes ago, ebr said:

My best guess would be an inefficiency in them updating the API vs. the main site because we never default an episode title to "TBA" so that has to have come from them through the API.

That exactly happens to me with tmm, when the episode is recent, specially premiering episodes.

Edited by rodainas

Cortexian

My Loki is currently showing the same.

I believe you are all correct in saying that the "TBA" is being sourced from the Metadata Providers. Normally they are on the ball but seems a few of these new series aren't getting updated as quickly.

What would be the best way to manually (or ideally, automatically) correct this? Just refresh/replace meta data on the affected episode once the provider is updated?

Would there be a way to have Emby "flag" any episodes with "TBA" as the name, to check again at set intervals for an update?

tba-episodes-loki.jpg

rodainas

What would be the best way to manually (or ideally, automatically) correct this? Just refresh/replace meta data on the affected episode once the provider is updated?

Yes, refresh with replace metadata at episode level, a time later when the api is refreshed, it will get the updated info.

Would there be a way to have Emby "flag" any episodes with "TBA" as the name, to check again at set intervals for an update?

You can tag your episodes then search the tag, I dont think is a way to do it automatically.

513BD2B9-0415-4449-8416-025FB1CE7C0F.png

1506E579-6470-4F9A-A780-288DEF0B478F.png

Edited by rodainas
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Yes this is a defect of TVDB as it takes around 24 hour for their information to be updated on their api.  So the web site can show one thing and their api return another.

As the Loki example has been update recently but do not know when.

loki.jpg.54df69f8f6c5d763d59ee676d33fccfd.jpg

• 1 month later...
Cortexian

Is there any way to request a feature so that users can define certain episode names like "TBA" and if they are found, Emby tries to automatically refresh the metadata at a definable time (Check again every hour, every 12 hours, every 24 hours, etc) until new information is pulled?

GrimReaper

Make a Feature Request in the appropriate forum section, see whether it'll get any kind of traction.

17 hours ago, Cortexian said:

Is there any way to request a feature so that users can define certain episode names like "TBA" and if they are found, Emby tries to automatically refresh the metadata at a definable time (Check again every hour, every 12 hours, every 24 hours, etc) until new information is pulled?

Hi, yes this has come up before and is possible for the future. thanks.

rbjtech

Depending on your source - some have this feature built in to prevent the import until it has a proper name - thus fixing the issue at source .. ;)

arr.PNG.717b6fb6b63d591e43b44a14b8a5cfa3.PNG

• 2 months later...
On 16/08/2021 at 17:42, rbjtech said:

Depending on your source - some have this feature built in to prevent the import until it has a proper name - thus fixing the issue at source .. ;)

arr.PNG.717b6fb6b63d591e43b44a14b8a5cfa3.PNG

Hi, 

I always have that enabled to Always but even though the episode is named correctly Emby still shows the episode as a TBA

Here is an example

image.thumb.png.fa044ea9f3aeeeea9d2d22e6b1e59d35.png

image.png.891fed56c33ec221ebefee5319601e8d.png

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Hi, 

I always have that enabled to Always but even though the episode is named correctly Emby still shows the episode as a TBA

Here is an example

image.thumb.png.fa044ea9f3aeeeea9d2d22e6b1e59d35.png

image.png.891fed56c33ec221ebefee5319601e8d.png

Sorry I don't follow as we don't have that setting.  We would have to add a setting like this to compensate for this TVDB defect of providing a episode title of TBA.  Or technically TVDB should not allow adding episodes with incomplete metadata.

Note nothing after SxxEyy is ever used as it could be literally anything.

7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry I don't follow as we don't have that setting.  We would have to add a setting like this to compensate for this TVDB defect of providing a episode title of TBA.  Or technically TVDB should not allow adding episodes with incomplete metadata.

Note nothing after SxxEyy is ever used as it could be literally anything.

Hi, I completely understand it's just that @rbjtech hinted that if that option was enabled (in sonarr in my case) the episode would not be pulled until the metadata was something other than TBA but in reality it does not help as you quite rightly say anything after SxxEyy is ignored.  

Hopefully Emby will come up with some kind of automation to refresh metadata on TBA episodes as it seems to be happing more and more lately.

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

Hi, I completely understand it's just that @rbjtech hinted that if that option was enabled (in sonarr in my case) the episode would not be pulled until the metadata was something other than TBA but in reality it does not help as you quite rightly say anything after SxxEyy is ignored.  

Hopefully Emby will come up with some kind of automation to refresh metadata on TBA episodes as it seems to be happing more and more lately.

This is odd - as my import is Held until the metadata source is no longer TBA - usually 12-24Hrs later.   Have you also set arr to re-scan the Emby db on import via the Emby API ?  Your file name (renamed via arr I assume) is not TBA - so arr is doing what it should be doing - it's emby not updating which is the problem here.

Capture.PNG.b2b16a51b2b8266a5ffceb7878b8caac.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

This is odd - as my import is Held until the metadata source is no longer TBA - usually 12-24Hrs later.   Have you also set arr to re-scan the Emby db on import via the Emby API ?  Your file name (renamed via arr I assume) is not TBA - so arr is doing what it should be doing - it's emby not updating which is the problem here.

Capture.PNG.b2b16a51b2b8266a5ffceb7878b8caac.PNG

Hi,

I have never connected emby to my arr's doing it now! hopefully this will make a difference, thank you!

• Like 1